Morrissey A-Z: "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"

I like the way Spencer Cobryn dives over the drums in the video.

It's certainly not Spencer, he wasn't around anymore at the time.

People have actually argued in the past that it's Damon doing the dive but it's nearly impossible to say for sure who it is.
It's definitely not one of the band members because there's a split second where you can see Matt, Solomon and Jesse standing in the background while Mystery Man flies over the kit. And he's wearing a vest while the others are wearing t-shirts.

Screenshot_20210423-125608_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210423-125555_Chrome.jpg

Whoever it is, he seems to be doing a similar move in the video for All You Need Is Me.

It's certainly not Spencer, he wasn't around anymore at the time.

People have actually argued in the past that it's Damon doing the dive but it's nearly impossible to say for sure who it is.
It's definitely not one of the band members because there's a split second where you can see Matt, Solomon and Jesse standing in the background while Mystery Man flies over the kit.

View attachment 71427View attachment 71428

Whoever it is, he seems to be doing a similar move in the video for All You Need Is Me.
Sorry. I get mixed up. Whoever it was, it was a funny moment.

I'e said it before, and I'll say it again: I profoundly dislike this song.
But to avoid simple repetition, I'll add something new: I think the video is shit.

Before anybody says I'm difficult.... I love "Dagenham Dave".

Probably his last great "classic" lead single. All traedemarks in the right places. Short, languishing and hymnal.
Paris.jpg

Shot on location, Berlin, Tempodrom, August 2016

Last edited:
A really odd one

When it was premiered during the live shows in America in 2007 (i think?), my friend emailed a mp3 of it to me with the comment that it was a good song, "will be a strong b-side on the next album".

For that reason, I've never ever been able to shake that feeling about it. It was a lead single (no, THPGU and AYNIM do not count). It's not BAD, i just think it' s not a lot.

Had it been a Eurovision song, like rumoured, that would have been fun.

I can understand why some people really enjoy this song as it is well-sung, well-produced and competent in every way.

I generally prefer it when Morrissey is doing something different or surprising with his lyrics though, and this felt very much as expected.

It sounds quite commercial and had it been released a couple of years earlier, it would probably have been a bigger hit.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 43rd from 264 solo songs.

It's a very pleasant song, however it's been performed live far too many times in recent years, which has led to me getting tired of it. Give it a break would do wonders. That leaked whiny email where Moz wanted to cash in on the Paris attacks just to get a hit single also left a very bad taste in the mouth.

Probably his last great "classic" lead single. All traedemarks in the right places. Short, languishing and hymnal.
View attachment 71435
Shot on location, Berlin, Tempodrom, August 2016
This was a rather pleasant gig this.
I had several days in Berlin as a result

As for the song itself; I may be distracted by the 180 times it so I’ve heard it live. Each time I gets a pair of rolled eyes
💀💀

Janice is right, it's not good enough to have been played live as many times as it has. There's a few songs like that in his cannon, actually.

Off the top of my head, I have never liked 'Let Me Kiss You', as an example, and even if I did there's no reason it should still be getting airings now.

left a very bad taste in the mouth.
like Damon said.

If nobody had reacted to that email at the time, I wouldn't even have noticed, tbh. I was just too shocked at how cheesy the song was.

It's so bad, it's like a tourist trap in Turkey.

I've read "Emily in Paris" is terrible too... "ITMAAP" will inevitably end up in the soundtrack...:)

Nnooooooo thought I’d heard the last of this song..
Loved it when it first came out..
But have heard it so many times live, I’m just sickened with it now..

Whenever I see French Bulldogs I croon to myself this song. Fine song , some kind of HIT , nice memories .

It's pretty bland and inoffensive. I don't hate it; I just think it's just pretty boring. He looks awful in the video.

Nnooooooo thought I’d heard the last of this song..
Loved it when it first came out..
But have heard it so many times live, I’m just sickened with it now..
I agree with the comment that this would have made for a strong b-side - not so much a lead single.

I wonder if Morrissey realizes that his obsessively overplaying mediocre songs live (this and "Munich Air Disaster" comes to mind and a few others) actually causes many fans to despise those songs? In The Smiths touring days, I wonder how many fans went to the bar as soon as "Hand in Glove" started playing?

Last edited:
Paris seems to have all the ingredients to be a hit song, but something went wrong. Maybe it was just born into the wrong world at the wrong time.

Again, he played it out too much. It would have been more of a jewel if he just pulled it out every now and then for special occasions.

:paranoid: uh, you know what I mean.

The opinions here vary from love to hate. I didn't expect this song to be so divisive!

I agree with the comment that this would have made for a strong b-side - not so much a lead single.

I wonder if Morrissey realizes that his obsessively overplaying mediocre songs live (this and "Munich Air Disaster" comes to mind) actually causes many fans to despise those songs? In The Smiths touring days, I wonder how many fans went to the bar as soon as "Hand in Glove" started playing?
Agree, this and Munich along with half a dozen other overplayed concert songs just simply get on your breasts....
I mean how May times can you go for a piss and a pint ...

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom