Morrissey A-Z: "Interesting Drug"

BookishBoy

We kick off the week with this Morrissey/Street composition, released as a single in April 1989 and charting at #9 in the UK. (And later included on the Bona Drag compilation.)

What do we think of this one?

I remember, when this came out, how it felt so lightweight compared to the first three solo singles but over time I've grown to love it more and it still sounds astonishingly fresh today. Incredible song!

Great pop song this one, with effervescent instrumentation and great lyrics. Rightly hailed as one of his best singles: the dichotomy between the lighter instrumental and the more reality-based lyrics make this a clever and empathetic addition to the catalogue.
10/10

cracking song,still one of his catchiest.reminds me of a time long ago.
9 bad/10 people.

John Peel said it felt 'messy' when he first played it on his radio show. It still sounds so fresh to me. 10/10.

Love the song and the video. There are indeed “some bad people on the right”.
there are also some bad people on the left,i will rephrase that, there are some nutters on the left.

A cracking song but sadly these days he's more likely to sing there are some great people on the right.

While this song was a marked step down from the previous singles, it didn't really deserve some of the negative press that it got at the time. It is very lightweight and disposable, but it's also inoffensive.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 133rd from 264 solo songs.

Amazing in its time, but a little bit fusty now . By the way , Bona Drag is a brilliant album :hearteyes:

Weaker than many of the other singles of that era (1988-1990), but obviously a great pop song.

Everything from that era is classic. This song might be slightly taken for granted because of that. I agree with others saying it's a great pop song.

Ah… it is a pleasure to extricate ourselves form the admittedly wonderful but somewhat narcissistic list of songs whose titles stated with I’m! There was quite a lot to get through.

I haven’t seem the Interesting Drug video in years – it is a bit of a confusing mess, but enjoyable enough. As for the song itself I expect my thoughts will mirror the sentiments of a few others here: not one of his best from those early solo years, but still a lovely little number. I much preferred the B side, as Such A Little Thing Makes A Big Difference is, for me, heavenly. I will not change and I will not be nice!

A brilliant riposte to Madchester, both musically and lyrically. Love, love, love this song, everything about it. Have to mention Kirsty’s heavenly backing vocals too. Big shame the cooperation with Stephen Street ended here, after four straight top 10-singles.

And agree, brilliant b-side too.

Ah… it is a pleasure to extricate ourselves form the admittedly wonderful but somewhat narcissistic list of songs whose titles stated with I’m! There was quite a lot to get through.

I haven’t seem the Interesting Drug video in years – it is a bit of a confusing mess, but enjoyable enough. As for the song itself I expect my thoughts will mirror the sentiments of a few others here: not one of his best from those early solo years, but still a lovely little number. I much preferred the B side, as Such A Little Thing Makes A Big Difference is, for me, heavenly. I will not change and I will not be nice!
That b-side ranks among his very best!

Going from reviewing In Your Lap one day to Interesting Drug the next is like reviewing a primary school choir one day to the Vienna Opera the next.

This song takes its place amongst his best. No Hollywood Steve here. A very 80s sentiment and a video never seen in popular music at that time.

A song that you just couldn't dance to enough.

Utterly brilliant.

A wonderful, wonderful song that stands alongside his very best offerings - everything about it (Kirsty's backing vocals, shimmering guitar, words, sing-along chorus, b-sides, sleeve, the limited etched vinyl, the video et al) are the reasons why some of us turn up here so often and stick with Moz through the good and bad.

Where have the years gone?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom