Morrissey A-Z: "Interesting Drug"

Good song with a unique take on drugs or a drug. So many drug songs are all about partying or over dramatized stories of addiction. Song is a nice guitar pop song and is very catchy. Uniquely enjoyable

It took me a while to get used to the song at the time, but once you decide to like it, you'll like it forever. I can't agree more with all that's already been said above.

One of his best videos too with a lot of the little details that are very much Morrissey. Like Diane Dors on the NME cover, or the pin of the activist woman which reads "I've never had a job because I've never wanted one", or the dancing next to a board which says "It takes up to 40 dumb animals to make a fur coat", and of course the last part where they invade a laboratory that performs testing on animals and free the animals. The only thing that I don't quite get is the "Madame Houdini escapologist" writing on the woman's placard.

And least but not least; Morrissey is really gorgeous in the video .

Great fun song, jubilant! and live was phenomenal! Haven’t watched that video in a while.

Just noticed the hearing aid being worn by the boy reading the Dors NME.

Maybe the boy writing ‘Right’ instead of ‘rise’ was Morrissey’s way
of pointing out that even his fans mishear or misinterpret his lyrics.

Does anyone have a clue about the ‘E.T not me!’ badge?

Think the dancing was making fun of the recent Madchester fad that was emerging.

And ....

‘UNFAIRLY DISMISSED’

could just as easily be applied to him today.

yep.

:cool:

SPM 29

just a MOTORCYCLE AU PAIR BOY ?

Escape From Madchester !

"I've taken it a couple of times. The first time I took it was the most astonishing moment of my life. Because - and I don't want to sound truly pathetic - I looked in the mirror and saw somebody very, very attractive. Now, of course, this was the delusion of the drug, and it wears off. But it was astonishing for that hour, or for however long it was, to look into the mirror and really, really like what came back at me. Now even though I had that wonderful experience, and it was a solitary experience - there was nobody else present - I'm not actually interested in drugs of any kind."

Morrissey’s experience with ecstasy.

Always wondered if the Wilde being
pulled through the air by a giant sunflower image used on the single sided Interesting Drug promo (?) record was Morrissey drawing parallels between escaping with drugs ? or escaping through art?

I can't say I go crazy for it, but some of it's prestige remains in tact because it hasn't been battered to death live in this never ending Morrissey tour schedule (yes, yes, forget 2020). I'm surprised he hasn't done it more often, sans the usual one-off attempt in 2007.

Is this song supposed to be about the "one time" Morrissey took Ecstasy?

In any case, it's a quirky and brilliant pop song that only Morrissey could do. 2nd to the last single co-written with Street. It's yet another reminder for me that Morrissey/Street still had much remaining in the creative tank.

ESCAPE FROM VALIUM/RETURN TO VALIUM

Is this song supposed to be about the "one time" Morrissey took Ecstasy?

In any case, it's a quirky and brilliant pop song that only Morrissey could do. 2nd to the last single co-written with Street. It's yet another reminder for me that Morrissey/Street still had much remaining in the creative tank.

ESCAPE FROM VALIUM/RETURN TO VALIUM

I thought it was about that experience but also tied into the rave dance scene and the forces mobilizing against them and this drug at the time

Ah… it is a pleasure to extricate ourselves form the admittedly wonderful but somewhat narcissistic list of songs whose titles stated with I’m! There was quite a lot to get through.

I haven’t seem the Interesting Drug video in years – it is a bit of a confusing mess, but enjoyable enough. As for the song itself I expect my thoughts will mirror the sentiments of a few others here: not one of his best from those early solo years, but still a lovely little number. I much preferred the B side, as Such A Little Thing Makes A Big Difference is, for me, heavenly. I will not change and I will not be nice!
True to his word then 😁

I remember buying the cassette single in Oxford, taking the bus back and rushing to my room to listen to it - I think it is the very first Morrissey single I bought just when it was out. I liked the song, but I was astonished by Such a little thing AND Sweet and Tender hooligan, which I had never heard before.

I remember buying the cassette single in Oxford, taking the bus back and rushing to my room to listen to it - I think it is the very first Morrissey single I bought just when it was out. I liked the song, but I was astonished by Such a little thing AND Sweet and Tender hooligan, which I had never heard before.
This is almost identical to my memory/experience—it was Washington DC instead of Oxford and driving instead of a bus.

It took me a while to get used to the song at the time, but once you decide to like it, you'll like it forever. I can't agree more with all that's already been said above.

One of his best videos too with a lot of the little details that are very much Morrissey. Like Diane Dors on the NME cover, or the pin of the activist woman which reads "I've never had a job because I've never wanted one", or the dancing next to a board which says "It takes up to 40 dumb animals to make a fur coat", and of course the last part where they invade a laboratory that performs testing on animals and free the animals. The only thing that I don't quite get is the "Madame Houdini escapologist" writing on the woman's placard.

And least but not least; Morrissey is really gorgeous in the video .
It makes me cry at times, to see his early solo stuff. Especially this one.
This is still Smiths Morrissey, English Morrissey if you will.

What's sad is, this is the oppersite of what he's like now.

I miss this Morrissey so so much.

A classic. This is still Smiths Moz, the woman with the badge/bicycle is wearing a Smiths t-shirt too.
If only Johnny hadn't begun titting about with Bernard Sumner and gone back at this point ('89), the door was wide open.

Last edited:
A classic. This is still Smiths Moz, the woman with the badge/bicycle is wearing a Smiths t-shirt too.
If only Johnny hadn't begun titting about with Bernard Sumner and gone back at this point ('89), the door was wide open.
Titting about with Bernard Sumner? Brilliantly expressed!
And yes, a great song indeed. Full of zing!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom