Morrissey A-Z: "Interlude" (with Siouxsie)

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this Delerue/Shaper composition, released in 1994 as a single and reaching #25 in the UK chart.

In order below you'll find the regular track, the extended version, the Timi Yuro original, and the song with only Morrissey's vocals.

The Morrissey solo version is epic. The one with Siouxsie much less so. It doesn't even sound like a duet, more like two people having a singing match.

I quite enjoy this song, it does what it’s trying to strive for: a dramatic, emotional ballad. Surprisingly, given the way they pieced together both singers’ vocals, it sounds pretty natural. The instrumentation is very discrete, just there to add builds in the tension to carry the vocals along. The extended and instrumental versions are fine, just, well, extensions of the original, which, like “Moonriver” shows that cutting it down was probably the best idea. The solo version I enjoy too, perhaps even prefer due to the simpler presentation. Although the original thrives on drama, so it wouldn’t work as effectively without a counterpart.
7/10

Never been a fan. Schmaltz can be nice, but this one isn’t. Not particularly.

But yeah, the solo version is far superior. Definitely.

not one i would play but the vocal is good on the solo version.could definitely see thison many film soundtracks,hard to rate this one.
7 inters/10 ludes.

It’s ok. That’s about it really.

It has grown on me slightly over the years. I think for a time, this was the only release I didn’t buy immediately. Maybe some sort of protest :paranoid:
Anyway, it’s here now and it’s here to stay.

I do like the story about how they fell out over the possible video for the song, when (allegedly) Morrissey wanted to use footage of a bulldog and Siouxsie said no, but maybe a [homeless?] chihuahua instead...

I don't think Morrissey's voice suits the song. Its not his best vocal performance to my ears. And on one of the few songs where he allows me to hear his co-singer rather than giving them a few subdued seconds, the voices don't feel well matched to me, and the timings feel off.

The fact that this duet of two of the most iconic indie singers is relatively obscure, shows Morrissey's special 'talent' of making the most commercially adverse decisions.
It also doesn't sound like a proper duet, more like two separate versions cut together and that's basically what it is.

I still like this a lot, although I don't listen to it very often, but when I do, it's for the soothing, warm sound of Morrissey's voice and the rich strings. Boz did a fine job on this one.
My go-to version is the extended one, there's nothing that works better in helping me ease up than the triple blow of Southpaw, Moonriver (extended) and Interlude (extended). Now if only there was an official extended cut of the Morrissey-only version...

It’s a beautiful song with a capital B.
Lovely original and a fine cover, too.
As a duet it doesn’t really work though, I understand why Siouxsie wasn’t happy with it. The solo version is easily the better one.

Being an obsessive Morrissey fan and passable fan of Siouxsie Sioux, I was intrigued and excited when I heard way back when that these two legends would perform a ‘duet’. I wasn't familiar with the original Timi Yuro version of Interlude at the time, so still had high hopes when I heard further news of this forthcoming release. And then…

I believe this song gets quite a bit of love amongst the Morrissey Solo community, but sorry, it just doesn’t really do anything for me – it is one of those very rare Morrissey songs that I typically skip. On listening today there is, for me, nothing wrong with it - but it is just a little forgettable and, dare I say, lacklustre. The 12” single, with three more or less identical songs for the price of one, irked me then, and irks me now; missed opportunities. Of course, the sans Sioux version is the best of the bunch!

The fact that this duet of two of the most iconic indie singers is relatively obscure, shows Morrissey's special 'talent' of making the most commercially adverse decisions.
It also doesn't sound like a proper duet, more like two separate versions cut together and that's basically what it is.

I still like this a lot, although I don't listen to it very often, but when I do, it's for the soothing, warm sound of Morrissey's voice and the rich strings. Boz did a fine job on this one.
My go-to version is the extended one, there's nothing that works better in helping me ease up than the triple blow of Southpaw, Moonriver (extended) and Interlude (extended). Now if only there was an official extended cut of the Morrissey-only version...
There are Abbey Road reference CD-Rs and cassettes that feature 10 different versions of this track so perhaps there is an extended “Morrissey only” version.

Being an obsessive Morrissey fan and passable fan of Siouxsie Sioux, I was intrigued and excited when I heard way back when that these two legends would perform a ‘duet’. I wasn't familiar with the original Timi Yuro version of Interlude at the time, so still had high hopes when I heard further news of this forthcoming release. And then…

I believe this song gets quite a bit of love amongst the Morrissey Solo community, but sorry, it just doesn’t really do anything for me – it is one of those very rare Morrissey songs that I typically skip. On listening today there is, for me, nothing wrong with it - but it is just a little forgettable and, dare I say, lacklustre. The 12” single, with three more or less identical songs for the price of one, irked me then, and irks me now; missed opportunities. Of course, the sans Sioux version is the best of the bunch!
27 years is a long time to be irked - I'm impressed!

When Morrissey is one of ones life mentors, being irked for 27 years
27 years is a long time to be irked - I'm impressed!
With Morrissey as one of my spiritual mentors in life I have learnt that being irked for 27 years isn’t all that hard. I was taught by the best! :)

No thank you.

This one has been a grower. Didn't like it at first as it was far too slow for my youthful mind to enjoy, but I've come to appreciate it over the years because I'm slow now as well.

Last edited:
Not being contrarian here but I prefer Siouxsie's parts. This is a worthwhile curiosity but definitely not to the potential of what they might have done together at the time.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom