Morrissey A-Z: "Journalists Who Lie"

Wonderful little oddity snug on a b-side for his real fans to enjoy. Unfortunate production, though.

the groovy truth! and dig them bongos, man!

a Moz classic in disguise!

:cool:

Whatever bad I wouldn't say about this song (it's boring, no tune , so-so , etc.) it's still better than Thelma Houston's moans 🤪

It was misrepresented. They took a rambling conversation that the journalist led & edited it to make out it was a solid defense of Weinstein & Spacey. The cut n paste articles from it made it even worse. The context matters.
You make it sound like it was an off-the-record conversation in the pub. Which it was not. It was an interview. And Morrissey knew that when he sat down for it.

You make it sound like it was an off-the-record conversation in the pub. Which it was not. It was an interview. And Morrissey knew that when he sat down for it.

It being an interview doesn't mean the journalist can't misrepresent the conversation.

She wrote that he was late as a power move despite the fact he told her he hadn't been to bed that night.

I've never heard this song before and I hope to never hear it again. If Lisa Simpson was having a Quilloughby nightmare, this song would've been the soundtrack.

This is actually one of two songs that I always draw direct parallels to The Cure with (not musically):

“Journalists Who Lie” (Moz) / “A Desperate Journalist” (The Cure) — both older songs.

Then “Found Found Found” (Moz) / “Round & Round & Round” (The Cure), similar song name structure and both on albums that are considered weak — Kill Uncle and Wild Mood Swings.

Always liked this one. Mind you, I like Golden Lights, Sweetie Pie and People Are The Same Everywhere, so bear that in mind...

Forgive the journalists who lie, they have either been brainwashed or have a large mortgage.

This song might represent a first time that Morrissey dropped the ball. It nevertheless seemed quite charming when I first heard it and it didn’t detract from his myth—it rather contributed.

isn't it Glamorous Glue at 10x speed?

Always loved the bluesy, hillbilly, bayou vibe to this song. I totally forgot it was a Moz/Street comp.

A fast paced song, but not particularly catchy. It's a bit "meh" by Morrissey's standards, but I occasionally play it as a bit of Moz history.

I know I liked this decades ago, but I guess it fell by the wayside. I am a fan of "Our Frank," as well.

The music is unusual and oddly danceable, maybe even a little rockabilly. Morrissey's vocal is engaging. The lyrics are honest though I appreciate his calling out the journalists more since 2000 or so with me being more of a Lazy Sunbather type in 91. 😄 And he gives us a new word for the Morrissey dictionary with "spreading biz-myth-lies." Pretty decent ear fare.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom