Morrissey A-Z: "Judy Is a Punk"

BookishBoy

Today's track is this live cover of a Joey Ramone composition - included by Morrissey on the flip side of "Spent the Day in Bed" and also on the deluxe version of Low in High School. (Also included above is a live Ramones performance of the song from September 1974.)

What do we think?

A fine cover of an excellent song - another dip into what would become California Son. Due to the nature of the performance, it captures some of the original energy, but doesn’t have the same thrill or excitement. Despite this, it’s one the better deluxe edition covers: CS has much more instrumentally and dynamically, though, obviously.
6/10

not for me im afraid.doesnt reach the parts that other songs do.
5 judys/10 punks

Obviously a song that has meant a lot to him, and teenage Moz would have been more than chuffed if he had known. But me personally, I so prefer the original. The emotion and the feel of the original is not something that can be duplicated.

I really enjoy the disconnect of hearing Morrissey's gorgeous voice doing this song, and he and the band do it pretty well. Yes, it's a minor, throwaway thing but still lots of fun!

It’s a pity that he never performed this cover with the lads (his first band) when the energy was at its highest.
Sure, he and the current band still do a decent job, but it can not feel the same anymore when you are 60.

It's okay as a change of pace at a live show but in that case I think another song might have been a better choice. It might be fun to hear him sing "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" or maybe "53rd and 3rd."

Morrissey’s love of Judy Is A Punk is of course well known, so I suppose it was inevitable that he would eventually formally release a live recording of the song. While the original song is fine for me (when I am in a certain mood) - I just don’t feel like Morrissey’s live cover really adds anything. Sadly I feel this way about a lot of the cover versions the great man has released since 2017 (and there has been a lot).

A quick tally of all the physical singles Morrissey has released since 2017 tells me (please correct me if I am wrong) - that of the 21 songs released 11 have been covers, and I believe 7 of those 11 were live recordings. The occasional such track is OK for me, but I would prefer to hear the words of the man, from the man, over a live cover any day. As the lead single from Low In High School, Spent The Day In Bed really should have had a stronger, proper B-Side. Heaven knows Morrissey has plenty, even if we are just talking about a demo from the vaults….

Absolute shite.....
Who the 4king hell wants to pay £70 quid to listen to this utter garbage....
He’s doing to many covers at his gigs now , chain gang pissed me off as well at Leeds.....

One of the more disposable releases in the canon. There's nothing particularly good or bad about it, and I guess it's chiefly of interest simply as another acknowledgment of a musical influence.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 204th from 264 solo songs.

That brings back live concert memories. Something was different back then. Life was more brutal and more exciting. In addition, this cover is the perfect alternative program for "Spent the Day in Bed". Activism and passivity. I love those contrasts. But I have had enough passivity in recent months. Time for some action again. But do I have to be vaccinated first?

He really should consider doing Poison Heart. Would suit him, vocally and lyrically, to a tee. Also it's a masterpiece of a song.

I think I was at one of the US gigs in 2016 when this was first covered live. Granted, it was on Under the Influence, it was only until afterwards, I realised it was the Ramones: I don’t think it should have still be hanging around the setlist 2-3 years later
See also You’ll Be Gone

it’s ok (as best) x

Today's track is this live cover of a Joey Ramone composition - included by Morrissey on the flip side of "Spent the Day in Bed" and also on the deluxe version of Low in High School. (Also included above is a live Ramones performance of the song from September 1974.)

What do we think?

Underwhelming but it was okay.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom