Morrissey A-Z: "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle"

i am a huge WPINOYB apologist and think it's a great album but this song is an affront to God. Awful.
love world peace,so many good songs.

It's not the best, but I do like the title. Still, Moz at his worst is infinitely better than 99.9% of the shite being released every week by the major labels across the globe. 'Twas ever thus.

It's not the best, but I do like the title. Still, Moz at his worst is infinitely better than 99.9% of the shite being released every week by the major labels across the globe. 'Twas ever thus.
Did you see the Brit’s last night???

Little mix, Taylor swift... 🤮🤮
Are you keeping up still , and all that rap shite......
Only seen about 45 minutes but I was pleased to see ??? Him from 1D win best suit award ... ah Harry styles ... he did have a couple of decent pop songs out
1D 0/ Harry the suit /6

'Write down every word I say'

'Women' let alone 'all women' never comes up. I don't think this is about women at all.

'She'll order you to tidy your room'

I think this refers more to Oedipus or Lawrence's Sons and Lovers than, say, my cousin or your sister getting married.

I may be in the minority but I enjoyed this track, it had funny lyrics such as "Kick the bride down the aisle....In a mudslide of gloom".

One of the weaker tracks on WPINOYB, IMHO. Musically it's somewhat interesting but lyrically I don't connect. It's not that I'm offended... it's just doesn't move me in any way.

One of the weaker tracks on WPINOYB, IMHO. Musically it's somewhat interesting but lyrically I don't connect. It's not that I'm offended... it's just doesn't move me in any way.
Maybe you haven't met any truly mean people who may become brides and grooms, friends, etc.

World Peace is a 9/10 album as far as I’m concerned. I dock a point for this mess of a song which recalls something of the plod rock which (for me) sank Ringleader, and nearly scuppered Refusal too.

Last edited by a moderator:
World Peace is a 9/10 album for me. I dock a point for this mess of a song which recalls something of the plod rock which (for me) sank Ringleader, and nearly scuppered Refusal too.
King Leer is similar though the sexes are reversed and the tone is lighthearted.

"
Your boyfriend, he
Went down on one knee
Well, could it be
He's only got one knee?
I tried to surprise you
With Vodka
Or, Tizer
I can't quite remember
But you didn't thank me
You didn't even thank me
Because you never do
Your boyfriend, he
Has the gift of the gab
Or, could it be
The gift of the grab?
I tried to surprise you
I lay down beside you
And... nothing much happened
And you didn't phone me
You didn't even phone me
Because it's not your style
To dial
Your boyfriend, he
Displays to me
More than just
A hint of cruelty
I tried to surprise you
I crept up behind you
With a homeless chihuahua
You gushed for an hour
You handed him back and said
"You'll never guess
I'm bored now"
"

i am a huge WPINOYB apologist and think it's a great album but this song is an affront to God. Awful.
I'll defend WPINOYB as an album too, but this is the weakest song on that album.
I can see how they're trying to make it interesting sound-wise, but it doesn't do it for me and so I just feel the song is overstretched. And while the subject matter isn't offending me, the words in the chorus are harsh and unsubtle.

Morrissey has commented on the accusations of misogyny regarding this song back in 2014 (translation via Google Translate):

Were you at all shocked when some critics criticized you for "misogynistic lyrics" in some of your new songs?

"Not at all! Critics may be well-meaning, but sometimes they are inadequate. I am always blamed for something. If in a new song I say "Kick the bride down the aisle" (kick the bride from the steps of the church), I mean "kick THIS PARTICULAR bride down the aisle"! I do not make a huge statement for all women around the world! It is a song for a specific woman only! However, as we speak, some women ARE ridiculous. Kate Middleclass, for example..."

The lyrics are interesting. I read it as Moz speaking to a past friend perhaps, who he knows may have oriented differently, shall we say.

The stretch of the beach couplet was aired in Autobiography of course, referring to Moz himself. I suspect he's simply referring to the part of his personality that runs screaming from intimacy and relationships. "Will Never Marry" part II perhaps.

Rather like the music, which has an operatic air to it, and shows that Jessie is talented, if not prolifically so.

For me it's not about being offensive. As soon as something becomes part of a work of art, a song, film, comedy act or whatever then it's in a different realm. Calling a bride a cow at an actual wedding would be offensive but it's just a song.
It's important not to get this tangled up with current topics about offensive speech or then somehow saying "offensive" things becomes this political statement and everyone has to choose sides based on rhetoric.
It's just that he states it all in a pretty boring way and the ideas are not new. The idea of the man working like a slave so the woman can "laze and graze for the rest of her days" is pretty outdated. How many marriages operate like that? Usually both people work and if they have children they have to work out a way to pay for daycare.
Once upon a time long ago it was possible for the husband to support a family, buy a house, and provide while the wife was a "homemaker." Some people still do this but it's just one of many possible situations.
I don't think it's that important because the song would still be completely, in my opinion, lacking any reason to exist, but Morrissey does make his issues with women plain repeatedly.
The thing that matters is that there is a huge difference in quality between songs like "Pretty Girls Make Graves," and this latter-day lazy add on.
There is no one to tell him that maybe he could do better. I think they just hand in tunes, he writes words, and they work it out. No one is going to risk being fired by trying to question his contribution.

Anyway, my point is that while there are potentially all sorts of issues to explore here I think that just complicates things. The bottom line is that it's just not a very good song.

Obviously you've never met someone like my sister's companion's ex wife, otherwise you would judge these lyrics just on point.
Back to the song, there's a lot of worse material than this.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom