Morrissey A-Z: "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle"

Obviously you've never met someone like my sister's companion's ex wife, otherwise you would judge these lyrics just on point.
Back to the song, there's a lot of worse material than this.
That's the point. I'm sure worse songs exist but I'm more interested in hearing better songs.
Good idea for the re-release marketing campaign though. "There's A Lot Of Worse Material Than This!"

Last edited:
Obviously you've never met someone like my sister's companion's ex wife, otherwise you would judge these lyrics just on point.
Back to the song, there's a lot of worse material than this.
There has been a real clunker on every album, from Quarry onwards. But Kick the Bride takes the biscuit; possibly because World Peace is otherwise entirely excellent.

There has been a real clunker on every album, from Quarry onwards. But Kick the Bride takes the biscuit; possibly because World Peace is otherwise entirely excellent.
"Black cloud" takes the biscuit for me. And "The youngest was the most loved" and "The bullfighter dies". Anyway, Kick the bride, of course, isn't among my favourites.

"Black cloud" takes the biscuit for me. And "The youngest was the most loved" and "The bullfighter dies". Anyway, Kick the bride, of course, isn't among my favourites.
Yes, Black Cloud is poor even in the sea of mediocrity which is most of Refusal.

And Youngest stands out for me as poor, if only because Morrissey inexplicably insisted it was a masterpiece; I find the line ‘there is no such thing as normal’ hilarious: I think I first heard someone say it when I was about eleven. It came from the lips of someone who was twelve. And it was wasn't received as particularly insightful even back then.

For me it's not about being offensive. As soon as something becomes part of a work of art, a song, film, comedy act or whatever then it's in a different realm. Calling a bride a cow at an actual wedding would be offensive but it's just a song.
It's important not to get this tangled up with current topics about offensive speech or then somehow saying "offensive" things becomes this political statement and everyone has to choose sides based on rhetoric.
It's just that he states it all in a pretty boring way and the ideas are not new. The idea of the man working like a slave so the woman can "laze and graze for the rest of her days" is pretty outdated. How many marriages operate like that? Usually both people work and if they have children they have to work out a way to pay for daycare.
Once upon a time long ago it was possible for the husband to support a family, buy a house, and provide while the wife was a "homemaker." Some people still do this but it's just one of many possible situations.
I don't think it's that important because the song would still be completely, in my opinion, lacking any reason to exist, but Morrissey does make his issues with women plain repeatedly.
The thing that matters is that there is a huge difference in quality between songs like "Pretty Girls Make Graves," and this latter-day lazy add on.
There is no one to tell him that maybe he could do better. I think they just hand in tunes, he writes words, and they work it out. No one is going to risk being fired by trying to question his contribution.

Anyway, my point is that while there are potentially all sorts of issues to explore here I think that just complicates things. The bottom line is that it's just not a very good song.
🧐

as soon as a 'something' becomes part of a work of art then it
becomes 'of a different realm? what realm? like in a different
dimension?:confused:

your 'point' being that important issues complicate unimportant issues? 'Potentially, since
there may no issues at all. Important issues, unimportant issues, an no issues at all:hammer:

Haven't got a clue whose bride he wants to see kicked (Godzilla's? Is it safe?) but the lyrics gave me a fiiiiine Googling idea...
And yes. It's a thing.

"-See that cow in the field?
-Yes, it's Daisy, my bridesmaid, why? Is there a problem?"

Last edited:
On a side note, I really hope to be able to sing this song at Moz and DayDay's Las Vegas wedding this year.
(I know they'd prefer Céline, I 'm just A LOT cheaper.)

Not complaining but people here are hard to please. I actually think this song is okay
Not sure if "hard to please" is the right way to put it. More like if you are comparing this song to a 10/10 (say, "Now My Heart is Full") or an 8/10 (say, "You Have Killed Me") or a 6/10 (say "Darling, I Hug a Pillow") or even a 3/10 (say, "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice"), it would be really hard for a rationale person who doesn't live in a padded room to give this song anything but a 1.

Not sure if "hard to please" is the right way to put it. More like if you are comparing this song to a 10/10 (say, "Now My Heart is Full") or an 8/10 (say, "You Have Killed Me") or a 6/10 (say "Darling, I Hug a Pillow") or even a 3/10 (say, "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice"), it would be really hard for a rationale person who doesn't live in a padded room to give this song anything but a 1.
I do have mental health issues, so you could be right.

It simply beggars belief that this made the album, when those great songs were relegated to the bonus disc. World Peace was a classic in the making, with the right track list

Could have benefitted from character names and development/intrigue perhaps

Love this song. The lyrics are my favorite thing about the song. It perfectly describes many marriages, just look around. You don’t get this stuff from everybody, I appreciate this content.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom