Morrissey A-Z: "Late Night, Maudlin Street"

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

wherever you are ...

I hope you’re singing now’

💜

Yesterday, I mentioned that there's somehow less insight to share about perfect songs than flawed works. I suppose this is a glaring exception to that particular line of thought, as this is a perfect piece of music that deserves all manner of analysis. While it's not uncommon to hear people (I'm one of them) claim that Morrissey finally transcended the power of The Smiths with Vauxhall & I, upon honest reflection it feels like he actually achieved this right off the bat on Viva Hate with this song.

It's everything promised in "Back to the Old House" and "I Know It's Over" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" brought into a vivid and alchemical third dimension. The way each little recollected nostalgic vignette is pulled back down into the painful reality of the present task at hand, it just creates such a gorgeous portrait of longing and remorse.

An often overused and misused phrase, but this is truly poetry set to music.

From Suedehead to Sunday this song ties up viva hate completely in the very complete package that we all love ..
Not one for the fair weather supporters , but 4uck them ..
This is our long rambling song on one of the greasiest albums ever ...
He really does take you back to that night , as if we were all there with him .... and you ..
It’s one of them very strong morrissey songs from an album that should just be that ...
and never a single nor B side ..
it’s a hidden gem ....
Stitches 10/ back of the van /3

The subtle connections between this and other songs like "Break Up The Family" feels like a story cycle where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. As great as the song is on its own it feels like part of something larger.

Contains my favorite Carry On-style big dick innuendo, smuggled in amongst the angst:
"Me without clothes, well a nation turns it's back and gags...and I'm packed".

Viva Hate was always one song for me.
The subtle connections between this and other songs like "Break Up The Family" feels like a story cycle where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. As great as the song is on its own it feels like part of something larger.

Another classic. Drum machine beat (doors slamming?) set to beautifully circling chord progressions and some excellent guitar interjections from Vini (as a Durutti Column fan, it’s easy to see his fingerprints all over this). And then the lyrics... As @Verso rightly said, this is true poetry set to words: a brilliant fusion of disparate styles, woven together into a breathtaking canvas of sound. The 8 minutes it lasts seemingly too short, yet it perfectly encapsulates an emotionally diverse and complex story. Oh, and the addition of the piano: just another super texture making the piece even more layered.
All of this and it isn’t even my favourite song of his! Just goes to show the amount of quality material he has released over the years.
10/10

Last edited:
I’ve never completely loved it, but it’s obviously a significant song in the back catalogue. It’s one of those where he changed the game slightly - it’s impossible to imagine anyone else either writing this lyric or singing this vocal. This whole series has made me fall in love with the songs again. What an extraordinary legacy of music he has.

I've always thought that this is one of those songs is very nearly a classic but just fails. It has a great lyric but the harmonic structure of the song is just not interesting enough and I've never liked the percussion, especially the 'car door slamming' which just sounds jarring.

I've always thought that this is one of those songs is very nearly a classic but just fails. It has a great lyric but the harmonic structure of the song is just not interesting enough and I've never liked the percussion, especially the 'car door slamming' which just sounds jarring.
Especially if your fingers were trapped .

for the second day in a row a classic doesnt really do it for me.i like it,i just dont love it,me not adoring M songs,this will never catch on.
7 maudlin /10 streets.

For me this is up there with Now my heart is full and Come back to Camden as one of the truly great Morrissey songs.

I've just listened and still haven't registered any car door slam. No worries though. It won't drive me insane. Maybe someday I'll pick up on the sound. With earphones say.

I've just listened and still haven't registered any car door slam. No worries though. It won't drive me insane. Maybe someday I'll pick up on the sound. With earphones say.

It's literally the first thing you hear in the song, that heavy thump that goes on throughout the song. It has always reminded me of a car door slamming.

On Viva Hate, only EDIS is better. Maudlin Street is one of many Morrissey masterpieces, and it’s in a style I wish he would have explored further. It’s not too late, though! I love the nocturnal atmosphere, the nostalgia rips at my heartstrings and the lyrics are better than most people’s autobiographies. It’s not 110 percent certain I’d include it on my Moz top 10, but I might.

A stone cold quality song from a great album,again a song only Morrissey could compose and sing.To me he enunciates his lyrics so well here.

An outstandingly brilliant, and beautiful, song. One which only Moz could have written, and sung. Uniquely sublime.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom