Morrissey A-Z: "Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed"

Moz once claimed that Mike Joyce tried to 'seize' his mother's house (and his sister's house) as a way to get what he was owed after the court case. Any references to legal eagles, pigs in suits etc, I always interpret as linked to that.
And Mike admitted it to be true.

Kinda suprised at the lack of love for this one. I think it's one of the best songs on the album. Guess I'm in the minority here!

Moz once claimed that Mike Joyce tried to 'seize' his mother's house (and his sister's house) as a way to get what he was owed after the court case. Any references to legal eagles, pigs in suits etc, I always interpret as linked to that.

Yes, now I remember these facts from Autobiography. And I guess the rest of the song is fiction, as the mother in the songs seems to commit suicide. Fortunately, the real story ended much better (as far as I know, Moz came with the money and his mum was able to live in that beautiful house until her death). But Morrissey made a big deal of it in his autobiography. And also lots of drama in this song.

Just been reading this track could have been influenced by the death of Virginia Woolf (writer) who had a life history of depression & mental health issues, and who finally ended it all (suicide) by walking into the river Ouse with her pockets full of stones to weigh her down...I'm beginning to think sometimes Moz takes multiple snippets of stories & ties them together brilliantly in song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing song! My first listen. Cathartic for me as I've lost my mom in the past couple years. There IS a feeling of wanting to go with her. A part of you is gone when your mom dies. 🥁 And his railing against an unjust system is fierce.

Perhaps we will hear another of these on the Bonfire of Teenagers, I hope.

OT, is the baby he's holding on the YOR cover anyone special to him?

Just been reading this track could have been influenced by the death of Virginia Woolf (writer) who had a life history of depression & mental health issues, and who finally ended it all (suicide) by walking into the river Ouse with her pockets full of stones to weigh her down...I'm beginning to think sometimes Moz takes multiple snippets of stories & ties them together brilliantly in song.
Virginia Woolf was also mentioned as a possible source of inspiration for "Drag The River".
So it is certainly possible that she inspired part of the lyrics here too !

I adore this song. The drama, the gusto, the power and heartfelt lyrics. YOR is a great album, and this is one of many highlights.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom