Morrissey A-Z: "Margaret on the Guillotine"

what is eternal, can never die.

:cool:

he's probably sat outside a restaurant sharing a meal with you, like lady and the tramp.

Ah, Don’t worry about verso, it has nothing to do with Morrisey, he just got triggered by your anti - woke comment. pay no mind.

If you want to watch someone get triggered, try suggesting a Morrissey song is anything less than stellar while Ketamine Sun is logged on.

Beautiful piece of music with lyrics that needed to deepen a bit in the subject or become a little more universal. Instead, this way it is stuck forever in the past, and that's a pity, since the beauty achieved.
Given that it was the original working title for 'The Queen is Dead', I think it's interesting to compare the two songs. The latter song isn't just an attack on the monarchy, but has additional personal depth, secondary meanings, and a sense of humour. This seems like a very one-dimensional hatchet-job in comparison.

It's also a shame the lyrics tie it so firmly to the past. The's no way this could ever be played live - unless perhaps Moz could update the lyrics for 2021 - 'Sadiq Khan on the Guillotine' maybe?

He's a profoundly flawed and often contradictory human being (oh hi, human condition!) but lots of this is bollocks, sorry. Are you seriously arguing that anyone who's ever started a band has done so in order to create a "wealth-creating business"?

Just picked up on this. No, my post didn't argue that anyone who's ever started a band has done so in order to create a wealth-creating business.

However, the Smiths were a wealth-creating business. Morrissey started the group, along with Marr. They didn't need to sign to a record label, they could have given their music away for free. They didn't need to ensure that they got an unusually handsome chunk of the royalties - but they did ensure so nevertheless. They didn't need to promote the records to try and up sales - but they did promote the records.

Add to that, Morrissey having stated in interviews that he had no time for the idea that making money from one's art is somehow vulgar or wrong, and that he had no time for the romanticism of the 'penniless artist' ideal, and that he self-consciously set out to make money from his music.

Thatcher would have been proud of Morrissey, if she'd ever been aware of his existence, which I'm sure she wasn't.

But yes, if the notion works better for you that the wealth generated by The Smiths was just a happy and unforeseen by-product of their artistic integrity, and they donated it all to charity, then stick to that theory.

Just picked up on this. No, my post didn't argue that anyone who's ever started a band has done so in order to create a wealth-creating business.

However, the Smiths were a wealth-creating business. Morrissey started the group, along with Marr. They didn't need to sign to a record label, they could have given their music away for free. They didn't need to ensure that they got an unusually handsome chunk of the royalties - but they did ensure so nevertheless. They didn't need to promote the records to try and up sales - but they did promote the records.

Add to that, Morrissey having stated in interviews that he had no time for the idea that making money from one's art is somehow vulgar or wrong, and that he had no time for the romanticism of the 'penniless artist' ideal, and that he self-consciously set out to make money from his music.

Thatcher would have been proud of Morrissey, if she'd ever been aware of his existence, which I'm sure she wasn't.

But yes, if the notion works better for you that the wealth generated by The Smiths was just a happy and unforeseen by-product of their artistic integrity, and they donated it all to charity, then stick to that theory.
Fair enough, thanks for this thoughtful response. I'll agree with your third paragraph above about making money from one's art, but your second and fourth paragraphs still feel wrong, to me.

Are you referencing this? (2:21)

No. I don’t watch modern film. Actually I haven’t watched any films in some years now, and stoped watching TV programs in the early/mid 90’s.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom