Morrissey A-Z: "Now My Heart Is Full"

Full translated interview that you will see the "I don't think so. This song was the definitive expression of my change to adulthood, of my maturity.... " quote used around this track.

TO END LIKE ORSON WELLES
Les Inrockuptibles, 1995

(Worth a read).
FWD.

Here's the portion of the interview discussing NMHIF:

Q: One of the symbolic tracks from Vauxhall And I, Now My Heart Is Full, claimed that your heart was full, that you felt fulfilled. Could you have written this song some years earlier?

M: I don't think so. This song was the definitive expression of my change to adulthood, of my maturity. And, to be honest, I was very happy to be able to sing this text, to have reached this state. After this song I could perfectly retire: I've come full circle.

Q: Could you write this song today?

M: No, not now. It wouldn't fit, time doesn't lend itself to it. Though my heart is full (smile). Thank whom ? Nobody. If I'm happy it's an inner, intimate happiness. I'm at peace with myself.

I own some Morrissey songs better than this, but I don’t have too many.

I've always interpreted the fullness of the heart as detrimental to the spirit, an indication of being fed up and having had enough. The song is essentially a suicide note, is it not?

Quintessential Morrissey, just hits home in so many ways. Could it get any better, hard to top!

Quintessential Morrissey, just hits home in so many ways. Could it get any better, hard to top!
It is almost impossible to top, and yet Vauxhall does get even better.

I've always interpreted the fullness of the heart as detrimental to the spirit, an indication of being fed up and having had enough. The song is essentially a suicide note, is it not?
More an embrace of a new subjectivity? though I can accept a death of sorts is implied.

Now My Heart Is Full

At Last I Am Born

Hearing NMHIFull for the first time
when released...

finally! someone knows how to record and showcase his voice!

Thank you, Steve ....

Lillywhite.

:thumb:

I loved Boorer demos.

correct.

They just used Boz’s cassette tape as the foundation. Which might have added to some of that gorgeous warmth.

WOODIE TAYLOR:The finished album version of NOW MY HEART IS FULL was actually Boz’s original demo version with added overdubs. The night that he’d given me that cassette of his demos, I’d played it in the early hours when I got home, drifting in and out of sleep… I can clearly remember arriving at Victoria Station the next morning on the way to the audition, trying to imagine the kind of melody Moz might sing over Boz’s epic music, and being overcome with emotion…”

In 1994, discussing NOW MY HEART IS FULL with SELECT magazine, Morrissey said:

“I have realised that the past is actually over – and it is of great relief to me. It’s like being told that you’ve been cured of chronic tuberculosis or housewife’s knee or something”.

:cool:

Last edited:
This is Morrissey's absolute best song.

My favourite Morrissey song. Flawless.
The days of yore, your good self, attempting a solo version at the MEN in 04, and weeping in Bridlington IIRC months later when Morrissey performed it. Weeping which manifested into sobbing uncontrollably . Ah, they were grand days x

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom