Morrissey A-Z: "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell"

This one was a real grower for me. At first it just passed me by, but now it's one of my favorites on the album. Love the drumming throughout, and I like the doomy but realist message of the song. Worked really well live as well, though I can't decide if I prefer it with or without the trumpet intro. I'm pretty sure that live he often used to explicitly sing "ta-ta" at the end, as in the old-fashioned slang way of saying 'goodbye', which was a nice touch, but doesn't really come across on the recording. [8 out of 10]

Amazing and almost jubilant song about the passing of time (and all of its sickening crimes). Love the furious drive paired with the strong melody. And it was a blast in concert!

"The tiny trolls tell you that you smell"
This one is lots of fun and I love the whole (implied) "you won't have me to kick around forever" thing. :drama:
8/10

Love the energy on this, thrashing drums (MWalker) & pumping bass (SWalker) in the engine room again do it for me. Great vocals. Winner.

"Well, just look at me
A savage Beast with nothing to sell
And when I die, I want to go to Hell"

Fantastic.

love it,voice is strong on this.has great pace to it.was great live with the bass at the start.
8 goodbyes/10 farewells.

Another excellent song. Given that Refusal is in my top 5 Moz albums, the praise probably shouldn’t come as a surprise, but this song attacks with all cylinders firing. Battering drums, mariachi trumpet, ear-shattering bass as well as histrionic vocal leaps and bounds all combine to make a cautionary onslaught toward the listener. The lyrics are also great: the rhyming couplets pack in wit and wisdom on age, life and becoming less relevant as times change. Thankfully, it doesn’t seem like Moz has predicted his own destiny...
One more standout track from a standout album.
9/10

Wow, amazed at the praise for this. Hadn't listened to it for years and have just done so now.
Is as remembered. An ok tune but dragged down by some really duff lyrics.
Years of Refusal is an above average album, though.

I suppose this was something of a departure lyrically for Morrissey as he doesn't usually employ traditional rhymes to this extent.

That said, some of them feel a little forced and it is one of the lesser songs on a pretty good album.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 148th from 264 solo songs.

This one was a real grower for me. At first it just passed me by, but now it's one of my favorites on the album. Love the drumming throughout, and I like the doomy but realist message of the song. Worked really well live as well, though I can't decide if I prefer it with or without the trumpet intro. I'm pretty sure that live he often used to explicitly sing "ta-ta" at the end, as in the old-fashioned slang way of saying 'goodbye', which was a nice touch, but doesn't really come across on the recording. [8 out of 10]

this was pretty much my experience as well. The songs tempo and momentum are great

Top marks on this one for "energy" I guess, but very few marks from me for anything approaching a tune, either musically or vocally. The vocal melody at times sounds like he's picking notes at random, it's very odd.

Might not be much to analyze but there’s a lot to feel and empathize with. Even just the way the vocal melody and song feel like there being pulled and almost a bit rushed like we’re all about to run out of time any moment

Good

It is very representative of the yor-sound: energetic, powerful drums and bass, mariachi trumpets, savage beast singing.
I am also happy to know that I may see Morrissey again in the next world (Hell):).
Not the best the worst track on the album, but vert enjoyable nonetheless.
7/10

Very good

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom