Morrissey A-Z: "Pregnant for the Last Time"

BookishBoy

Today's song is our penultimate P: a Morrissey/Nevin composition released as a stand-alone single in July 1991 and reaching #25 on the UK singles chart. (I've posted the Top of the Pops clip, too.)

What do we think of this one?

One of my absolute favourite Morrissey songs: brilliantly funny lyrics sung with real energy over a tambourine-shaking, thigh-slapping rockabilly backing. A completely ridiculous subject for a pop single, which I suspect a male singer would get crucified for releasing in 2021, with the whole "own voices" thing that we're currently going through...

"Pregnant for the Last Time" (live London 4/10/91) as it appears on the US cd single for "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" is great.
1626672801901.png

"But then you see someone new
And you want someone new
So you have someone new
I don't blame you
We would all do the same as you
If ever we had the chance to"

It's probably another of those minor songs but I really like it and always enjoy hearing it. 7/10

good rockabilly rocker,funny lyrics,good voice,good catchy number.
8 pokes/10 prods. vivamozz on a monday morning.

Love this song. Moz’s most perfect realisation of the early ‘90s rockabilly sound, this song is buoyant and fun. The lyrics are frivolous in the best possible, tracing a heartfelt yet comedic arc through someone’s sporadically reaching love life and its aftereffects. Vocals are as playful as the lyrics, especially in the bridge (“I don’t blame youuuuu!”). Wish this one was played more: it’s kind of a forgotten single, and doesn’t get mentioned as much as it deserves to be. Kill Uncle would be a much better album if they’d saved this track, that’s all I’m saying...
9/10

Moz Masterpiece
Another one as with Piccadilly Palare that has been criminally ignored live for 30 years.
Not sure I can imagine him doing now.
91 was a fine year all things Moz. :hammer:

"Pregnant for the Last Time" (live London 4/10/91) as it appears on the US cd single for "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" is great.
View attachment 74336
"But then you see someone new
And you want someone new
So you have someone new
I don't blame you
We would all do the same as you
If ever we had the chance to"

It's probably another of those minor songs but I really like it and always enjoy hearing it. 7/10
Totally agree! It's better than the studio version - shimmering, piercing guitars and brilliantly sung. It's a daft, bouncy, catchy song that never gets skipped!

Generally probably not considered a career highlight, I've always liked this lively, vicious little Roackabilly piece. It dates back to a time when music videos could still send people into sheer raptures. Morrissey in Berlin in 1991 had a lasting influence on me. For a fan, it's an amazing journey as how a singer who has fallen out of time, shy and extroverted at the same time, explores Berlin. The Metropol in Berlin at all! What a magnificent building from the time before the First World War. Nollendorfplatz is the entrance to Motzstraße, the trendy street for gay and lesbian tourists and locals. It may have all been a coincidence in 1991, but Morrissey with open shirt in women's blouses, with 50s glasses in the Adlon, quirky older aunties having a coffee in the foyer and the reunited still extremely wild Berlin in general: There was hardly a better video for a fanboy and somehow it lifts the piece above mediocrity for me. Needless to say, I have travelled to the locations of the video.

Loved The Loop and other rockabilly type songs of the era, but for some reason I just don't like this one at all. Just find the whole song a bit irritating and boring.
Next!

Fantastic,again I know it will never be heard live again but to those fans who discovered his work in recent years please get the 3 cd HMV singles box set and hear Morrissey's range,scope and quality.

A fun song, but another disposable single and one that was unlikely to bring about a huge revival in the charts. It might have been better suited to being an album track had the rockabilly mini-album come to fruition.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 121st from 264 solo songs.

Will champion Rockabilly Moz till my dying days. He certainly looked the part, and the songs were usually right on the money - and this one is definitely no exception.

Just wish he would have done more rockabilly.

had to laugh at the poster saying morrissey in person,who else would it be,harry hill.

Morrissey made some good rockability songs, just not this one. The music is too sparse, basically just a rythme and it could have done with more guitars. And the vocal melody is somewhat disjoint from the music Imo. But I can se hos it brings back happy memories.

And the highlight of the video is the appearance of Jobriath’s second album ‘Creatures Of The Street’ which is as criminally underrated
as the song ‘Pregnant For The Last Time’ is. Though, another strange pick for a single, but where else could it go? definitely not high in the charts. Now if the Madchester thing was a rockabilly musical movement, then things would have been different.

And the highlight of the video is the appearance of Jobriath’s second album ‘Creatures Of The Street’ which is as criminally underrated
as the song ‘Pregnant For The Last Time’ is. Though, another strange pick for a single, but where else could it go? definitely not high in the charts. Now if the Madchester thing was a rockabilly musical movement, then things would have been different.
But then if Rockabilly had been an all-consuming trend at that time, Morrissey would probably have released something that sounded like "Fools Gold" instead, and everyone would have thought he was weird. Again.

Back
Top Bottom