Morrissey A-Z: "Reader Meet Author"

great song,so many good lines in it,good voice without having to do too much.
8 stanleys/10 knives.

Last edited:
I like this one and I don't think the specifics about Nick Kent matter that much to the song.
great song,so many good lines in it,good voice without having to do too much.
8 stanley/10 knives.
Agreed. I love "have you ever escaped from a shipwrecked life"
Not sure if this is an 8 or a 9 but I'll say 8.33/10

..and there a still people walking this planet who dislike the Southpaw vibes!
Great contender for the loved rubric "Should have been a single".
Yes, it should have been the second single from the album.
Much more playful than Boy Racer and the small string section in the mioddle is wunderbar.

Such a strong song from an excellent album. Knotty chord sequences wrap themselves around guitar and keyboard hooks that deserved to be blasted out in a stadium, and the lyrics take a deeply bitter, yet righteous, look at privilege and how it distorts the view of the working class and the gap between the classes. It goes through perhaps as many compositional changes as something more disjointed, like “The Operation”, but unlike that track, and more in line with the epic bookends to the LP, this seems like every alteration has been carefully considered. Fantastic track all around.
9.5/10

Fantastic rock anthe. It fits well on Southpa, but more generally has a sound and style that fits Morrissey so well.
Certainly a song he could play live more often ( yes it reappeared briefly in 2015).

On the fence about this one. It’s good, obviously, but far from the best song off of SG. Never one I long to listen to.

EXCELLENT,ONE OF MY MANY FAVORITES VIVA MOZ TAN GENIO EL.......

I've never been blown away by this one. It's got good energy to it and has some great lines but there's something about Morrissey's voice on this track that doesn't quite hit the spot, for me. (Which is weird, as it's normally his voice that I love above all else, in loads of songs.)

And if a fight
Broke out here tonight
You'd be the first away
Because you're that type

Moz pre-empting the keyboard warrior journalists of today.

Like this one a lot, I find it pairs very well with Do Your Best and Don't Worry. Southpaw is a great driving and jogging album isn't it.

I remember listening to this one with a friend who when Morrissey sang the Stanley knives line stated, "Trying to sound tough, soft as ****". Several of the press reviewers also commented about the fact that in the event of a fight, Morrissey would be the first one out the door.

Southpaw Grammar is my least favourite Morrissey album and one reason is because he was trying too hard to be something that he's not. The middling music doesn't help either...

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 129th from 264 solo songs.

I don't mind it for what it is, a rocky, stompy, glammy piece of power pop....but it's clearly not part of the Canon and rarely gets a repeat play in chez Watson. Some memorable lines lift it out of the ordinary but, yes, Moz's vocals are a bit strained in parts.

The BBC footage is interesting as it features our very own UncleSkinny on the front row. You see him better on 'TCM' - he's the one gurning and clapping like an extra from 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'...clearly it was filmed before the love affair ended.

The zenith of the pub rock era musically. A bland tuneless thrangfest with a Moz by numbers vocal melody.

Southpaw had highlights, this wasn't one of them.

Not a big fan. Tempo is the nicest thing about it but bland kinda sums it up

Love this one. Quintessential Morrissey for me.

For me this is definitely the best of normal-length tracks on SG (including The Operation). A great lyric, a brisky tune, many quotable lines... after which the album wobbles with Boy Racer and goes totally off the tracks. If the album had six songs like this between the epics, it would have been one of his best albums instead of one of his worst.

For me this is definitely the best of normal-length tracks on SG (including The Operation). A great lyric, a brisky tune, many quotable lines... after which the album wobbles with Boy Racer and goes totally off the tracks. If the album had six songs like this between the epics, it would have been one of his best albums instead of one of his worst.
Not the time alphabetically...but, for me, 'Southpaw' is one of his greatest songs...I have just listened to it after reading your post and, whilst it meanders a bit at the end, it is brilliant meandering.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom