Morrissey A-Z: "Roy's Keen"

Oh, away with you all who don't like this song...and as for the Hoffman 'boarders':

Well, it's here
Right under your nose
And you just can't
See it, can you ?
:rolleyes:

It's a brilliant tune, vocals are superb. I've always loved this, especially the way it starts, the 'go on', plus Cobrin's drumming; really surprised it (& Papa Jack) was evicted from the legacy version of Maladjusted. Lots of possible references & influences, as mentioned by others, along with 'double entendres'.
Wonderful.

Found another version of this on YT for anyone interested:

Last edited by a moderator:
I forget to mention the voice. His singing is superb all throughout the stellar album that is Maladjusted, and Roy’s Keen is certainly not an exception.

I can see how it’s silliness would make the elbow pad crowd feel off put but I find it an enjoyable song. It’s very catchy with a pretty big hook. I think I had read somewhere it was supposed to be about a footballers second calling (read into that what you will). Don’t know how true that is as the songs never inspired a deep dive but that would be funny

Interesting note from wiki:

"The title is a pun on the name of former Manchester United footballer Roy Keane — as Morrissey acknowledged during live performances of the song by changing words to "never seen a keener midfielder". The song was played over the closing credits of Keane's 2002 documentary As I See It."

From PJLM: "Quite often on the 1999 Oye Esteban tour Morrissey sang "we've never seen a keener midfielder"."

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting note from autobiog, reflecting Moz's thoughts on the track, & probably explains why it was removed from the re-issue version:

"At the city’s oldest hammam we cleanse and purge, Brillo-padded to vanilla squeakiness, swabbed down on ancient tiles where the men of Istanbul launder themselves slowly and twice-over lightly, buffed in the buff. Twelve thousand gather for the Morrissey concert, and the promoter smiles to me. ‘You are very big here. I just hear Roy’s keen on the radio.’

My smile crashes. Roy’s keen? A bubble-headed choice."

Amusing all the same.

It’s a fairly standard tune with a good vocal harmony and meant to be funny. But not a song I will turn to often.
Didn’t Morrissey once say in an interview that whenever the window cleaner came, he had to move to another room because he could not bear his presence ?
6/10

I agree with the previous poster who mentioned that Trouble Loves Me would certainly have been the best choice for 2nd single. Not only because it's a much better song, but it would have provided some much needed substance.

Releasing singles entitled Alma Matters, Roy's Keen and Satan Rejected My Soul certainly didn't do anything to boost his career and I recall that some newspaper reviewers, who had only heard the singles, questioned whether he could ever write a genuinely good and non-trivial song again. Thankfully the singles of 2004 were a different matter entirely.

Screenshot_20210723-131238~2.png

(Hot Press, 2008)

And out came the scissors for the expanded release...
FWD.

You mean it’s shite and you don’t like it🆘
Ahh at last the veil has slipped🔍

I’ve never known you ever to dislike
Any Moz song....

Even the most ardent of the Moz
Followers dislike at least a hand full.

Your a fraud...

A complete crank 🚀🚀
Evening Barry. I stumbled across this and thought of you. A nod to the border city. The male with his macho tattoo is very ‘Keen’ 🙃

Attachments

• 78FFCB03-BE02-41F6-A859-FB8CCD45E0F1.jpeg
    78FFCB03-BE02-41F6-A859-FB8CCD45E0F1.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 0
Evening Barry. I stumbled across this and thought of you. A nod to the border city. The male with his macho tattoo is very ‘Keen’ 🙃
Wow... where the hell did you get this from..
He does have a CUFC tattoo..

But have you ever tried XL Cheese
Crisps??

Best in the country

Wow... where the hell did you get this from..
He does have a CUFC tattoo..

But have you ever tried XL Cheese
Crisps??

Best in the country
I can’t even recount where I seen it, but thought of you.

XL - just like Roy’s Keen, Masterpiece:hammer:
No trip up the M6 would be complete without a £1 bag of XL :hammer:

I can’t even recount where I seen it, but thought of you.

XL - just like Roy’s Keen, Masterpiece:hammer:
No trip up the M6 would be complete without a £1 bag of XL :hammer:
So you’ve tried this Cumbrian delicately 🎰
I’m unsure if you can get them any where else you know...

Cumbrian Masterpiece 🛎🛎🛎

Hope your behaving yourself Janice 😂😂😂😂

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom