Morrissey A-Z: "Scandinavia"

Being Scandinavian, I was blown away by it when I first heard a live fan recording of it back in the summer of 2011. Still think those live versions are vastly superior to the recording on the WP bonus disc, but it's still a damn fine song. High-strung drama and romance at its finest!

better than i remember,voice is strong on this.not many memorable lines on this.
7 boreds/10 fjords.

It’s better than I recall, but this track is still a leaden slog through some of the least desirable elements of some of the later period work. The arrangement has some nice touches (the strings especially), but, on the whole, is just too lumbering, too clumsy. The vocals are fine: I particularly like the part leading into the chorus(?) - “and then you came aloooong”, an echo of past histrionic yelps. As for the lyrics - they’re a bit overly dramatic, and with the arrangement, gives the piece an air of taking-itself-too-seriouslyness.
5/10

I have always liked this, even though the lyrics aren't up to much. Nicely histrionic and melodramatic, delivered by Moz with a knowing wink that even he knows this is over the top? Was there any other reason for giving this the title Scandinavia than being able to rhyme bored/fjord and crime/Trondheim in the tiresome Bullfighter Dies fashion? This and Art-Hounds were on a different level to three other 2011 tracks, so I'm glad they ended on the World Peace bonus disc.

One of the worst songs recorded in human history. Absolutely abysmal. Makes Kids a Looker sound like it belongs on the queen is dead.

I enjoy the drama of this one in spite of a couple of dodgy rhymes. The lyrics "Let their children cry and die in blind asylums" could have been written and sung by very few other singers.

I've probably said it before, but the 6 bonus tracks would make for a neat little mini album.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 81st from 264 solo songs.

One of the worst songs recorded in human history. Absolutely abysmal. Makes Kids a Looker sound like it belongs on the queen is dead.
In a world occupied by Ed Sheeran, mumble rappers, Coldplay, Bieber, Mumford and Son and TV talent show gruel, you say this.

In a world occupied by Ed Sheeran, mumble rappers, Coldplay, Bieber, Mumford and Son and TV talent show gruel, you say this.
yeah and I mean it. Scandinavia is scandalously bad.

An enjoyable and erring on the bombastic romp, Scandinavia is a strong number with some great lines. The song is marred for me somewhat by a few (forgive the pun) tongue in cheek lines which make me cringe a little; lines referring to 'eating the soil' and to being 'stabbed' are clearly laid down with lashings of innuendo. Its a bit much for me on a Tuesday morning!

A weak one. Went for my third beer exactly 10 years ago, when he thought, it would be a good idea to do such songs.

Care to expand?
what do you want to know? awful music, dog shit lyrics, only purpose is has ever served was to allow me to go for both a pint AND a piss at Birmingham 2015

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom