Morrissey A-Z: "Some Say (I Got Devil)"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is Morrissey's cover (from California Son) of Melanie's 1971 composition - originally the B-side of her hit "Brand New Key" (aka "The Rollerskate Song" and also the genesis for the Wurzels' novelty smash about combine harvesters, for those of us of a certain vintage) and included on her album Gather Me.

What do we think?

I don't understand that line "I know I'm not in danger.". Life is dangerous.

Might just be the best song off of CS. It’s one of those songs that could easily have been a Morrissey original. The lyrics are Morrissey through and through, and they made a terrific job on the arrangement.

Might just be the best song off of CS. It’s one of those songs that could easily have been a Morrissey original. The lyrics are Morrissey through and through, and they made a terrific job on the arrangement.
It is so well done, isn't it? His voice gives me shivers on this one. And you're right about the lyrics, I mean these are amazing:

And though I'd like to tell you
Exactly how I feel
Somehow the music hides it and conceals it
Hides it and conceals it

It is so well done, isn't it? His voice gives me shivers on this one. And you're right about the lyrics, I mean these are amazing:

And though I'd like to tell you
Exactly how I feel
Somehow the music hides it and conceals it
Hides it and conceals it
It's amazing and hard to believe that he didn't write this.

Great cover that elevates the original into whole new territory. The dramatic strings play off Moz’s heartrending vocals, making sure he owns the subject matter with an audible conviction. The way the song builds to reach anticlimaxes makes our appetite for a “real” ending even more voracious - and when it comes, it pounds into the skull, with almost operatic effectiveness. The only way to close California Son.
8/10

could be the most dramatic thing hes ever done,not one i listen to that much.
7 troubles/10 dangers.

25 times live in one year (out of the 34 gigs), possibly shows he liked it.
The drama felt amplified in the live performances - voice stands out on most of the live bits capturing said.
Regards,
FWD.

Also, what an incredible A-side / B-side single that was, of the cheeky, poptastic "Brand New Key" backed with this dark, dangerous song! (Fun fact: she wrote the A-side because of a McDonald's burger.)

This is absolutely brilliant. Love the whole drama & theatre which this brings. The voice is truly magnificent. The trudging, lumbering tempo, dramatic strings, occasional sprinkling of harp, shimmering guitar & the various changes of pace make this altogether perfect. Especially love the breakdown c.2:05 (reminiscent of Black-Eyed Susan), before it all re-emerges ever so gently, like Excalibur gracefully rising from the still lake. Really beautiful piece by Moz, which far surpasses the original in each & every aspect. Fantastic production by JC.
Ridiculously wonderful.

I always feel as if the words had been written for him and that fact alone makes it a superior cover.
I also love the haunting atmosphere and musical arrangement.
Overall brilliantly executed, this is one of his very best covers for me.

Last edited:
I like it alright and it works as the closer but it kinda leaves me wanting a bit more. A lot of fantastic build that doesn’t always pay off for me. He and the recording do sound great though. I personally love the joe c stuff more than I did the jerry Finn which is saying something as I’ve been or was in with Finn for a long time now

I don’t get why he dropped the parentheses from the title.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom