Morrissey A-Z: "Street Life" (live cover)

BookishBoy

Today's song is Morrissey's live cover of this Roxy Music track (originally released on their Stranded album in 1973 and also as a single, which reached #9 in the UK).

What do we think?

Wow.... didn’t even know he had covered this at all...
I love Roxy music and I think Moz has done a grand job with this..
Any info about the cover would be welcome

Wow.... didn’t even know he had covered this at all...
I love Roxy music and I think Moz has done a grand job with this..
Any info about the cover would be welcome
Played twice live only - Norway & Sweden 2006.
Regards,
FWD.

as a roxy fan for a long time and seen them many times in concert im not a fan of this cover.he seems to struggle to keep up with the speed of the music.
5 roxy/10 ferry.

I also dien.t know he did this one, it is a great song though. His vocal delivery is more punk and rough Though.
With only 2 live versions, it is difficult to say much.

A song that Morrissey probably regrets in retrospect.

It's not a bad knockabout performance, but it is an inessential as you can get. Most of the audience members were probably simply bemused by it.

Hmm I thought he hated Bryan Ferry for taking his Johnny?
No, probably thanks him for proving there wasn't much you could do with Money Changes Everything.

Anyway..Street Life is not too bad live there.
Wouldn't have minded a studio recording.

Last edited:
It's not bad, but, rather than a tribute, I think it's possible that Moz may be mimicking Ferry vocally in this (or even taking the pee - not sure); there's much vocal vibrato in Ferry-stylee, especially in the first section. Having nicked MCE, & held secretive meetings with Marr in the studio, I don't think Moz had that much love for BF.

No, probably thanks him for proving there wasn't much you could do with Money Changes Everything.

Anyway..Street Life is not too bad live there.
Wouldn't have minded a studio recording.
Incorrect. Bryan Ferry turned MCE into an international top 40 hit with The Right Stuff. The Ferry/Marr credit probably rankled Moz. And it also may have made Johnny realize there were sunnier climes elsewhere.

Incorrect. Bryan Ferry turned MCE into an international top 40 hit with The Right Stuff. The Ferry/Marr credit probably rankled Moz. And it also may have made Johnny realize there were sunnier climes elsewhere.
Top 40's have been littered with rubbish since it's inception....record companies can do wonders with sale manipulation.

There are various mentions in autobiog, mostly unpleasant, re; Ferry:

"When the Bryan Ferry single [The Right Stuff] finally emerges, Johnny is there in the video looking lost, minus only a pair of slaves’ sandals, and he is evidently only important for the gifts that he brings to the sherry-fed Ferry, who stumbles up to the spotlight as if direct from a pink-gin all-nighter at Redcliffe Square.
Johnny, I hardly knew ye."

Last edited by a moderator:
no thank YOU

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom