Morrissey A-Z: "Sunny"

I think it was the same day (this & BR)
I picked both up on the Sunday at Our Price. God look after its beautiful soul. (Our Price)
2 x 7”
3 x cd
1 x cassette

It was a long December 😑
Wikipedia states that Sunny was released two weeks after Boy Racer. Anyway, Boy Racer is very middling song coupled with live tracks as b-sides, so the whole package pales in comparison to Sunny with two other brand new songs. It was yet another Morrissey self-sabotage to leave those tracks to EMI and then make a very rushed and substandard album for another label with not enough songs for b-sides either.

Yes, two weeks apart.

The Boy Racer entered the chart on Dec 3rd at number 36, then dropped down to number 70 on Dec 10th.

Sunny then entered at number 42 on Dec 17th, and dropped down to number 68 on Dec 24th.

Earth Song by Michael Jackson was at number 1 for all of those weeks...

A nice song, but the drug reference meant that it was never likely to be a hit single.
Hmm, I don't really see the relevance to be honest tbh. It's essentially an anti-drug song ("I cry when I see where it's taken you"). Plenty of other anti-drug songs are commercially successful. Interesting Drug was pro-drugs (if anything) and that went top 10, so I don't think the drugs issue made any difference. It was just a confusingly timed release at a point when Morrissey's commercial clout was pretty low anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, two weeks apart.

The Boy Racer entered the chart on Dec 3rd at number 36, then dropped down to number 70 on Dec 10th.

Sunny then entered at number 42 on Dec 17th, and dropped down to number 68 on Dec 24th.

Earth Song by Michael Jackson was at number 1 for all of those weeks...
Michael Jackson....
I wonder what ever happened to him ?

Wow, had not heard this in a long time and almost forgot about it. It captures that mid-90's feeling and spirit very well for me. I really wish Southpaw Grammer sounded more like these other songs that came out during that period. 8/10.

A towering achievement. When did he reach these heights again? Irish Blood? Istanbul? Bobby? There aren’t too many contenders. It’s a fantastic song and still one I turn to regularly, even though I’m not the fourteen year old I was when it came out.

A towering achievement. When did he reach these heights again? Irish Blood? Istanbul? Bobby? There aren’t too many contenders. It’s a fantastic song and still one I turn to regularly, even though I’m not the fourteen year old I was when it came out.
Istanbul and Bobby are nothing compared to Sunny.

A thing of real beauty, with both sadness and punch in turn, from both Morrissey and Alain. The guitars sounded so full and crystalline on the "Boxers"/"Sunny" session. The tone straddles the line between the nostalgic sheen of Vauxhall and the acetylene bite of Southpaw. It's a real shame that "Sunny" has been consigned to the closet of lost classics. I was lucky enough to see it performed live at the truncated Chicago Riviera show in 1997 and it was a treat.

A thing of real beauty, with both sadness and punch in turn, from both Morrissey and Alain. The guitars sounded so full and crystalline on the "Boxers"/"Sunny" session. The tone straddles the line between the nostalgic sheen of Vauxhall and the acetylene bite of Southpaw. It's a real shame that "Sunny" has been consigned to the closet of lost classics. I was lucky enough to see it performed live at the truncated Chicago Riviera show in 1997 and it was a treat.
Good description, really. I always thought "You must please remember" has the same vibes. It fits perfectly in that much loved space between 93 and 95 too.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom