Morrissey A-Z: "Teenage Dad on His Estate"

Very true. Personally, I’d say that the working class in ingrained in him, no matter what his bank account and his habits of today says. He lived it and he lived through it. You can’t just shake that off, and I don’t think that’s what he wants. It’s a matter of where your heart lies and what kind of values you have. Same goes for Springsteen.

Also he still has a huge, tight-knit, working-class Irish Catholic family in the UK, Ireland & America.

He might be the rich relative, but he's directly involved in working-class lives.

Also he still has a huge, tight-knit, working-class Irish Catholic family in the UK, Ireland & America.

He might be the rich relative, but he's directly involved in working-class lives.
Very strong point! 🙌🏻

Good song always enjoyed this and some good lyrics as well.
I noticed how he pronounced “news” as if he was American, we know he’s been singing it like that for some years now but I wondered if this is the earliest that he’s sung that word like he does ?

Weird. I'm not too sure exactly what this song is saying, but it doesn't seem to be about the working class as interpreted above. The 'you' character' seems to be middle class, and for most of the song M seems to be criticising his / her ways, including the way he / she looks down on the teenage dad of the title. The teenage dad himself seems to be secondary, and he's characterised inconsistently; he has a 'modest home', but an ostentatious car, despite the fact it's 'just a runaround'; on the other hand he's on methadone.
So overall I feel it's more about the middle class 'you' than the teenage dad. But the message of the song is unclear to me!

Weird. I'm not too sure exactly what this song is saying, but it doesn't seem to be about the working class as interpreted above. The 'you' character' seems to be middle class, and for most of the song M seems to be criticising his / her ways, including the way he / she looks down on the teenage dad of the title. The teenage dad himself seems to be secondary, and he's characterised inconsistently; he has a 'modest home', but an ostentatious car, despite the fact it's 'just a runaround'; on the other hand he's on methadone.
So overall I feel it's more about the middle class 'you' than the teenage dad. But the message of the song is unclear to me!

tdohe2.png

Attachments

• tdohe.JPG
    tdohe.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
From Mozipedia, Goddard offers: "An amusing comment on the haves envying the freedom of the have-nots, ‘Teenage Dad On His Estate’ saw Morrissey needle the stereotypical middle-class breadwinner; those who’ve married out of obligation, now trapped in a soul-destroying job but tortured by the knowledge that working-class teenage dads still weaning themselves off methadone are somehow having the last laugh. The ‘Teenage Dad’ himself had echoes of ‘THE BOY RACER’ with his Jensen Interceptor ‘run-around’, while the song’s socio-political thrust attacked the same Daily Mail mentality satirised in ‘THE SLUM MUMS’ from the same period."

(y)

Moz doesnt let the media or trolls do his thinking for him, making this a very strong
Moz Masterpiece:hammer:

Though I don't clearly understand what this song is about, I like it a lot.

Last edited:
I think this is one of the few good songs he's been involved with making since the 90s. I like it a lot.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom