Morrissey A-Z: "That's Entertainment"

BookishBoy

Today's song is Morrissey's cover(s) of this Paul Weller composition (for The Jam) from their Sound Affects album of 1980. According to Weller, he wrote the song in "10 minutes flat." Morrissey's version was a B-side of "Sing Your Life" in 1991, although the cover was then resurrected in an altered form as part of the "Cosmic Dancer" 7-inch vinyl single in 2021.

What do we think of this one / these ones?

I enjoy both versions of Moz’s cover of an originally excellent Jam tune, that spat rage through the speakers. Moz’s first version is my least favourite, mainly because it leans on a similar acoustic guitar-based arrangement, but, as beautiful as his voice his, it doesn’t express the same rage as Weller’s original.
However, the recent “remix” is great, much more interestingly instrumentally, with acoustic bass, more prominent clarinet and piano as well as some lovely synth pads that recall Bruce Springsteen’s superbly depressing Tunnel Of Love album (one to check out of you haven’t already). Moz’s vocals work surprisingly better over this version, and this more harmonious alternative is the best of his two takes.
Original - 6/10
Remix - 8/10

loved the jam but not a fan of weller,remember jim kerr saying he hated scots and would never speak to any scottish bands on top of the pops.
this song was decent at the time,M does an ok version although a little slow.
6 police cars/10 screaming sirens.

loved the jam but not a fan of weller,remember jim kerr saying he hated scots and would never speak to any scottish bands on top of the pops.
this song was decent at the time,M does an ok version although a little slow.
6 police cars/10 screaming sirens.
PW championed the Scottish band The Questions and signed them to his Respond label .They supported The Jam on tour. He also gave the Jam B Side 'See Saw' to The Jolt from Wishaw who he was also a big fan of.

I think PW in general certainly in the 80's was very grumpy and uncommunicative but it's more likely he just didn't like Jim Kerr rather than Scottish people in general.

Moz does a great job with this vocally, & adds some nice train sound effects here & there; but he's slowed it down too much, & it's a little too dreamy for me. As such, it fails to match the dynamism & energy of The Jam's excellent original, from their equally excellent 'Sound Affects' album.
Entertaining nonetheless.

Edit: just played the Moz 2021 remix which is superior to his first version, but The Jam still get the points from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Satisfying cover of a great original. The original wins in this case. I guess that’s entertainment🤓

Interesting notes from PJLM:

"In a 1992 interview published in Slitz magazine, Morrissey said "It was a completely worthless version. I wanted to make it different from the original, but maybe I shouldn't have tried that. The original is a classic and Paul Weller is, when he wants to be, a genius.""

Furthermore: "This Jam cover was recorded at Hook End Manor with producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, but the time of recording and personnel involved are not clear. Biographer Simon Goddard states that the song was recorded at the end of the "Kill Uncle" album sessions which took place in the autumn of 1990. However the song credits seem to point to the post "Kill Uncle" recording session in December 1990 where Morrissey recorded material for a planned but shelved rockabilly mini-album. In both scenarios Mark Nevin played guitar, Andrew Paresi drums and Steve Heart organ, but Boz Boorer is credited as second guitar (he entered the picture between the two sessions) and Jonny Bridgwood is credited for bass instead of Mark 'Bedders' Bedford who had that job on the "Kill Uncle" sessions. The song also features guests Cathal Smyth on backing vocals and Kate St.John on cor anglais."

The Dallas version of this song is without doubt his greatest cover , from one of the greatest concerts in popular music History know to mankind.
Morrissey slams the door shut on the likes of Elvis, Sinatra , iggy pop
With his performance here on live in Dallas and shows the entire world why he is/was the greatest front man of all time ....

I spent a lot of time with the 1991 version, so I am probably biased. I always felt he turned it into a protest song - less is more - and enjoyed it. And his vocals were fantastic.
The 2021 version has a better flow and feels less barren / more dreamy. Boz did a good job.
In short, I’ll take both.

Silly me, I never bothered to listen to the 2021 version as I did not realize it was different from the previous one, which I really like - never cared for the live version.

Mozzer’s original cover version is one of his three best ever covers. I love the Jam, but actually prefer Morrissey’s version. To me, it’s quintessentially English. It’s overcast, drizzly, and you’re hurrying home for a nice cup of tea. That’s the feeling I get.

(y)
not surprisingly, Moz turns a mediocre song into a Moz Masterpiece

f***’s sake, Barry…

It’s all part of my bigger plan 🤫
World domination ECT ...
you're too stupid, my friend. you have to AT LEAST be able to spell etc properly if you want to dominate the world

you're too stupid, my friend. you have to AT LEAST be able to spell etc properly if you want to dominate the world
Now, now. Maybe he meant ECT.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom