Morrissey A-Z: "The Bullfighter Dies"

beer queue must have have been very short and time to tweet one friend,only lasts 2minutes 20seconds.as for the song,its a jaunty little number,it was liked on here at the time,world peace was well recieved,if memory serves me even skinny liked istanbul when it was released on its own.
Let's not be so literal my boy! But how much time does one really need for a beer and a tweet! Jaunty is a fair description as well for this little diddy,

Celebrating a human death for not sharing the same views on animal rights as the author.

Education in reverse or merely fascism in reverse?
Putting a bull into a public arena and tormenting and killing it for the pleasure of the crowd might be said to be the very embodiment of fascism. I'm personally delighted when the bull gets one over his tormentors. Unlike the bull, the matador's presence and participation is entirely voluntary so it's difficult to have much sympathy with him if things don't go the way he would like. On this subject, Morrissey and I are in agreement and I don't say that very often.

If memory serves, we heard the live version of this before the recorded one, and we were all pretty amazed that Jesse could write something so tuneful and jangly (the guitar part was more prominent, live). Joe C somehow managed to bring out a new dimension to Jesse's song-writing culminating in his fantastic contributions to Dog on a Chain (River Clean, Hurling Days, Knockabout World etc). But the words to this are a bit phoned in.

That is a view which I share. It has still been a process with ups and downs under Joe C but it wasn't the same repetitive stuff anymore. Bullfighter came across as a pleasant, crisp and tuneful.

Always thought it was a nod to Panic, another upbeat 2-minutes song with an enumeration of cities.
And how many cities do you need to deliver the message that bullfighting is cruel?
I appreciate it being short and very direct.

The thought of Morrissey sifting through a search engine for Spanish place names to bolster this one note list lyric feels like the opposite of art to me.

Celebrating a human death for not sharing the same views on animal rights as the author.

Education in reverse or merely fascism in reverse?

I believe Morrissey believes that only violence can end the violence being done to animals.

Which is a understandable point of view to take if one is an animal rights activist. So the songs subject matter shouldn’t come too much as a surprise.

The thought of Morrissey sifting through a search engine for Spanish place names to bolster this one note list lyric feels like the opposite of art to me.
Ha!

Whereas "Endless Art" by A House is one of the great novelty pop songs of all time. (Imagine Morrissey covering that!)

Didn't he own a house in Spain in the 90s before he moved to LA? I vaguely recall Spain being mentioned in Maladjusted era articles...

Didn't he own a house in Spain in the 90s before he moved to LA? I vaguely recall Spain being mentioned in Maladjusted era articles...
Really? Does not sound familiar at all. I know he lived in Ireland right before LA.

Really? Does not sound familiar at all. I know he lived in Ireland right before LA.
Yeah, I know. I just remember reading some interview where he was asked about Spain (Dublin was also mentioned, I think) and I was pretty surprised myself because I'd never heard it before either.
I could be wrong, of course.

Given that it's been played live so often, I do think Mr Morrissey could have kept it fresh by updating the lyrics each show. "Grumpy in Grimsby, buggered in Berlin, knock-kneed in Stockton-on-Tees, then someone tells you...etc"

Yeah, I know. I just remember reading some interview where he was asked about Spain (Dublin was also mentioned, I think) and I was pretty surprised myself because I'd never heard it before either.
I could be wrong, of course.
Very interesting. If anyone else (@Famous when dead?) know about this, drop a line!

Putting a bull into a public arena and tormenting and killing it for the pleasure of the crowd might be said to be the very embodiment of fascism. I'm personally delighted when the bull gets one over his tormentors. Unlike the bull, the matador's presence and participation is entirely voluntary so it's difficult to have much sympathy with him if things don't go the way he would like. On this subject, Morrissey and I are in agreement and I don't say that very often.
Add one more thumbs up to that. It’s also just still going on the inversion kick. They’re ga ga and he feels sick, they’re cheering for the matador and he’s cheering for the persecuted bull successfully defending its life

I remember when this song was debuted in concert it was met with a generally very positive reaction on here:

I don't think the studio version is quite up to the same standard, and it could have used more energy and jangly guitars.

The song's popularity also hasn't been helped by its ubiquity in the setlist, obviously.

I don't think it's one of the strongest songs of the era, but it is short and to the point. It is a relief to listen to a 2 minute track after some of the overlong recordings that we have covered recently.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 241 from 264 solo songs.

Where is this poll ranking ?

I can remember this song being played as part of the half hour pre stage show, the crowd went wild when it came on.
So I can only assume that real fans love it.
Yea, I recall that. Think it was throughout 2014. Think it ceased In the December. I remember it still being played in Istanbul but have no recollection in the following March when the gigs resumed.

This is some conscious music from Moz.
The whole spectacle was backwards to begin with.
Some folks even thought Bullfightin' was heroic and
romantic cause of how folks like Hemingway used to
carry on about it in his books.
Some even got flummoxed at Moz cause they were sayin'
that he was celebratin' the death of the Bullfighter.
Nah. he was just showin' the foolishness of when they
would celebrate the death of the Bull.

This is some conscious music from Moz.
The whole spectacle was backwards to begin with.
Some folks even thought Bullfightin' was heroic and
romantic cause of how folks like Hemingway used to
carry on about it in his books.
Some even got flummoxed at Moz cause they were sayin'
that he was celebratin' the death of the Bullfighter.
Nah. he was just showin' the foolishness of when they
would celebrate the death of the Bull.

Yep, very woke!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom