Morrissey A-Z: "The Bullfighter Dies"

This relates to 'Stoney Hando' if anyone remembers that (a Morrissey nom de plume).

More substantially, see:
View attachment 68454

Regards,
FWD.
Ah, that makes sense. So it's anyone's guess if he really lived there, but it explains why journalists asked him about it.
I found one interview from 1999 (Rolling Stone) where they asked him if he was still living in Spain and another article from 1997 that mentioned "houses in Spain and Ireland".

That The Angelic Upstarts and Klaus Nomi are two of his three most important musical influences is new to me, and wrong, I suspect

That The Angelic Upstarts and Klaus Nomi are two of his three most important musical influences is new to me, and wrong, I suspect
Both were mentioned on other occasions as well and have been included on pre-show tapes. Nomi was already used during The Smiths years, Wayward Sisters was his stage entrance music and Der Nussbaum was also among his Desert Island Discs.

His Angelic Upstarts phase peaked in the 90s. Boz's daughter Billie-Rose is wearing an Angelic Upstarts shirt in the video for The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get.

Spain is the only thing I find slightly suspect.

Last edited:
Given that it's been played live so often, I do think Mr Morrissey could have kept it fresh by updating the lyrics each show. "Grumpy in Grimsby, buggered in Berlin, knock-kneed in Stockton-on-Tees, then someone tells you...etc"
😂yes I agree,
How about cancer in Carlisle,
Aids in Aberdeen ,
Syphilis in Somerset .
And poor Cyril from the Wirral
Who couldn’t piddle.....

Yea, I recall that. Think it was throughout 2014. Think it ceased In the December. I remember it still being played in Istanbul but have no recollection in the following March when the gigs resumed.
So you think 2014..
trying hard to think where ...
Must have been Hull ice rink..
Nice place Hull

This relates to 'Stoney Hando' if anyone remembers that (a Morrissey nom de plume).

More substantially, see:
View attachment 68454

Regards,
FWD.
Yes! I remember this one! I particularly remember (and fondly at that) the bit about him preferring the company of animals to humans. Very interesting that he supposedly lived in Spain during this time. I find that hard to believe, frankly. Thanks FWD!

Ah, that makes sense. So it's anyone's guess if he really lived there, but it explains why journalists asked him about it.
I found one interview from 1999 (Rolling Stone) where they asked him if he was still living in Spain and another article from 1997 that mentioned "houses in Spain and Ireland".

Morrissey may have not lived in Spain, but Stoney Hando has.

Everyone knows that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. In 1984, Morrissey admits that he is "sick and dull and plain" in the b-side "Accept Yourself." Soon after, he similarly confesses that the Smiths only happened because he had "walked home in the rain one too many times."

Therefore, through a method of simple extrapolation (and much to the dismay of AztecCamera), it's quite easy to conclude that Morrissey was not only living in Spain in the early-80s but was quite possibly born and raised there as well.

Morrissey may have not lived in Spain, but Stoney Hando has.
Stoney Hando said Morrissey lived in Spain though. And he should know. Although he was probably living in Melbourne.

Last edited:
The death of humans do not bother me much. I get extremely sad when animals die.

Putting a bull into a public arena and tormenting and killing it for the pleasure of the crowd might be said to be the very embodiment of fascism. I'm personally delighted when the bull gets one over his tormentors. Unlike the bull, the matador's presence and participation is entirely voluntary so it's difficult to have much sympathy with him if things don't go the way he would like. On this subject, Morrissey and I are in agreement and I don't say that very often.
I agree. However, violence to solve violence puts him on the same level of the subject he criticises and hasn't got a great track record of leading to anything other than more violence.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom