Morrissey A-Z: "The Kid's A Looker"

Really, really poor. But an appropriately dreary book end to Morrissey’s least satisfying creative period. The only way was up from here, but it’s a quantum leap from this to World Peace.

Always kinda wondered if this title was taken
from Bande A Part.

Bande A Part - The Kid's A Looker.jpg

Bande A Part - Anna.jpg

Last edited:
The three or four new songs were not a big hit in 2011. When I listen to this again, I see and hear it the same way as back then. I don't like the complete instrumentation. Especially the drums are much too loud and present. Of course, a complete studio version could have been given a chance, but I can see where this is going with "Scandinavia". Nowhere slow. In 2011, Morrissey was still being eaten out of the hand to such an extent that at the summer concerts, e.g. in Berlin, the new songs were celebrated without mercy. It was Morrissey and he couldn't make any mistakes, even if ROTT and Refusal hadn't exactly been enthusiastically received. Something was brewing. Morrissey's output became increasingly smug and unpleasantly exalted. He developed a penchant for crude lyrics as well as rather strained and silly vocal lines (Lala Lalala Lalalalalalala). And there was no one left to ground him.

Music for people in ivory towers.
People were noticing. I’d receded to standing towards the back of live gigs by 2011, so I could dash to the bar when cobblers like this was played. A good friend, and former mental Morrissey fan, shut the door never to return at about this point.

Others I knew were hanging in because they were unsure what else to do, although they weren’t conceding this openly.

I always found enough in the records and gigs to justify the expenditure. Nevertheless, a lot hinged on World Peace being great for me personally. Happily, it was.

I think, by 2011, even Morrissey was recognising that the ship was taking on water.

People were noticing. I’d receded to standing towards the back of live gigs by 2011, so I could dash to the bar when cobblers like this was played. A good friend, and former mental Morrissey fan, shut the door never to return at about this point.

Others I knew were hanging in because they were unsure what else to do, although they weren’t conceding this openly.

I always found enough in the records and gigs to justify the expenditure. Nevertheless, a lot hinged on World Peace being great for me personally. Happily, it was.

I think, by 2011, even Morrissey was recognising that the ship was taking on water.
That was around 2009 for me. A strange concession to make as a devout rail-gripper to now be casually lingering towards the back; it spoke an unfortunate truth about my shifting style of fandom. Compared to the triumph of 2004 (and even most of the Ringleader tour), there was this sense that the milk had gone sour. And even though I'm not a fan of World Peace, things did noticeably improve a few years later.

That was around 2009 for me. A strange concession to make as a devout rail-gripper to now be casually lingering towards the back; it spoke an unfortunate truth about my shifting style of fandom. Compared to the triumph of 2004 (and even most of the Ringleader tour),

there was this sense that the milk had gone sour. And even though I'm not a fan of World Peace, things did noticeably improve a few years later.

has the milk changed or have you changed?

Now this may not totally apply, but I feel it should be taken into consideration.

I feel it could be to some extent both, a change on both sides.
I mean, I don’t need Morrissey
in the same way as I once did. But I still dearly love the man.

It's a competition between kid's a looker and people are the same everywhere for worst Morrissey song ever.

It's a competition between kid's a looker and people are the same everywhere for worst Morrissey song ever.
No, There is also That's how people grow up, You're the one for me, Fatty, Ambitious Outsiders and many more.

It's crass to paraphrase one's own takes, but I remarked in 2011 when this was first aired that I was overjoyed this song existed, as it primarily meant that "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" was no longer his worst song ever.

Those 2011 songs really did a number on my fandom. The subsequent racism hasn't helped, either.

And here you are, 10 years later. :rolleyes:

Love this track despite its roughness.
So to all the haters I say...La da da la da la la la la la da da:p:tongue:

Love this track despite its roughness.
So to all the haters I say...La da da la da la la la la la da da:p:tongue:
There is no way the studio in session version of The Kid's A Looker is the worst solo song.

It's a very poor performance from Morrissey and, being generous, a full studio recording would surely have been superior. I think this might be one of his worst vocals and worst vocal melodies. The non-chorus is awful and Morrissey at his laziest.

The verses aren't too bad and I don't have too much of an issue with the intentionally disposable music.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 248th from 264 solo songs.
Don't you think it's plausible that it's performed & sung in this manner deliberately...to reflect the subject matter of the song?
Can't dance or sing, lazy chorus, but despite all this, all that counts is the Kid's A Looker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you think it's plausible that it's performed & sung in this manner deliberately...to reflect the subject matter of the song?
Can't dance or sing, lazy chorus, but despite all this, all that counts is the Kid's A Looker?
I'd say it's plausible. But it doesn't make the song any better. To release it as anything else than a b-side is pure self-sabotage.

I agree that it's mean to satirise idiotic pop songs, but I just find the 'la la' chorus annoying - it also comes across as a much-weaker retread of when Morrissey did the 'ha ha' laughing chorus in 'We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful'. That was amusing, and a great hook for a chorus. This isn't.

I think that's giving it too much conceptual cred, but I guess never say never.

And here you are, 10 years later. :rolleyes:
It's nice to see what silly scrapes our Steven gets himself into it. That, and I don't need to explain my fandom to you, or anyone.

As crappy as this song is, this performance is quite engaging. 260 likes and 5 dislikes on YouTube as of this posting.

As crappy as this song is, this performance is quite engaging. 260 likes and 5 dislikes on YouTube as of this posting.

I think this isn't a strong song at all. It isn't high-quality.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom