Morrissey A-Z: "The Loop"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Nevin composition, originally a B-side on the "Sing Your Life" single and also included on the World of Morrissey compilation. (And I've included the live clip above because I love it so very much.)

What do we think of this one?

It's great. It has a familiar form but the riff, while simple, is classic and so is that "I just want to say /I haven't been away." The live performance shows how much he loves this song. Record buyers of "Sing Your Life" really got a great value with this as a b-side.
Simple but perfectly performed. I love the sound and it sounds like he really is speaking to the listener with this one.
8/10

A fun yet lightweight song. The live arrangement is superior and is the type of track that the band were fairly comfortable with. Especially by 1992 when they had improved considerably.

I remember thinking that lyrically it would have been a fitting way to start the 2004 homecoming show, but it was not to be.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 117th from 264 solo songs.

This is a slam-dunk entry in my All-time Morrissey Top 10, so much so that I struggle to put into words how much I love this song.

Sure, there's no real emotional heft to it, but it's just such a groovy little thing and it pops into my head on a freakishly regular basis. It's absolutely hard-wired into my brain. ("I'm still right here, where I always was.") Huge credit to Mark Nevin for writing this, and I love that Morrissey has so much fun with it.

One of his best rockabilly tracks, if not the best. There’s an irresistible riff morphing into the more solemn verses, that, while lyrically a bit thin, adhere to the strict rockabilly policies, without seeming too derivative. It’s not one of my all time favourites, but it’s nice to see it getting some much deserved love. (Although, I may actually prefer the Beethoven version. Need to give it a listen again.)
8/10

God, how I love rockabilly Moz. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t curse the fact that the rockabilly EP never came to fruition.
Like many have said before me, the live arrangement (especially from the Arsenal tour) is vastly superior and far more rockabilly. The same goes for all of his other rockabilly inspired songs. But nevertheless, this a great, super fun song.

great song,this was great live when it performed arond ten years ago.
8 loops/10 loops.

This song is a real low point in Morrissey's career. The instrumental parts are dull and the lyric has got to be one of the laziest and most uninteresting lyrics he's ever written. The only good thing that can said about it is that it's not quite as bad as the A-side.

Talkin' about the unfinished Rockabilly EP from 1991, this one really stands out. The crowd went mental when he played it during his YOR tour 2009. It has the swagger, the charmes, the groove and the gang vibe, Morrissey was looking for in 1991. Double bass heaven!

This song is a real low point in Morrissey's career. The instrumental parts are dull and the lyric has got to be one of the laziest and most uninteresting lyrics he's ever written. The only good thing that can said about it is that it's not quite as bad as the A-side.
I take my hat off to you, sir, for packing so many wrong takes into three sentences! But that's what makes this site so...entertaining?

Love the energy on this track (live version), and obvs the rockabilly twang & double-bass thang.
The studio version is less energetic but wonderful all the same. Great vibe.
Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radis, don't go breaking our hearts. Please.

I just wanna say… I really like this song.

Speaking of rockabilly Moz. One can and should heave endless amounts of praise and love onto his rockabilly look in the 90s. I’m talking, of course, about the denim, the plaid and western shirts, the belt buckles, the flawless quiffs, and the glorious sideburns... Timeless masculine beauty!

The apotheosis of Morrissey's foray into rockabilly. I love this song and was thrilled he brought it back in 2007. It was the highlight of many shows on that tour.

The apotheosis of Morrissey's foray into rockabilly. I love this song and was thrilled he brought it back in 2007. It was the highlight of many shows on that tour.
2009, though? I remember it from 2009. Maybe he originally brought it back in 2007.

2009, though? I remember it from 2009. Maybe he originally brought it back in 2007.

From PJLM:
"The song was then given a break of 15 years. It returned halfway into the 2007-2008 Greatest Hits tour and was on the setlist a majority of nights (40) of that tour's latter half."

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom