Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Operation"

If the long drum intro and the cacophony at the end were to be edited out, The Operation would be a fabulous guitar pop song. The song proper is very melodic and catchy. I really like it.

One of my favorites. "Everyone here is sick to the back teeth of you" Can't give them all 10's so, 9/10. He probably has better songs but the attitude and the singular Morrissey-ness of it is great. Bob Dylan did the same thing, maybe slightly better, with "Positively 4th Street," the song Morrissey really should have covered for CS.

If the long drum intro and the cacophony at the end were to be edited out, The Operation would be a fabulous guitar pop song. The song proper is very melodic and catchy. I really like it.
I blame Mando. :thumb:

I love the "normal" part of this song (or "song proper" as @Gregor Samsa put it). I'd love to hear the thinking behind the production here. Short of that I'd file this along with "Black-Eyed Susan" under good songs intentionally sabotaged.

love the drum solo at the start,as someone who can only play the triangle im just wondering how difficult that would actually be,arms would be aching.great song,voice is great on this,he has that cold thing going on.southpaw is so underrated in my opinion.
9 right hands/10 left hands.

On it's own it's not the most amazing thing ever, but it works really well in context of the album (as does the long drum solo, which acts as a nice mid album break from all the guitar mayhem).

Southpaw Grammar is in my top three Moz albums, but this is the only track that takes the long form format and doesn’t seem to know what to do with it. The drum solo at the beginning starts off entertaining, but ends up tiresome after filling more than 2 minutes: at least they were attempting something different, I suppose. The actual song is OK, a nice moanabout with a good chord sequence. The lyrics are fine and serve their purpose and Moz makes them bounce along the music. By far the best part, though, has to be the chaotic outro: this shows their Who worship, indicated by the Keith Moon-ish drum solo at the start, flourish properly. It also sounds like it could be a latter-day Fall track (a band I’ve been obsessed with recently). Alain sings through his amp. The band go nuts, divebombing the tune that lay before them. Moz is nowhere to be found. It doesn’t reach the visceral level of noise rock or hardcore punk bands, but, in a Morrissey context, does more than enough to save the song. Flawed, but with pockets of greatness, this one. The other tracks stand even higher, though.
7/10

Last edited:
I always think of this as 3 songs in one.

The worst part is the meritless guitar section at the end which feels bolted on.

The drums at the start are better, but still drag on far too long. They worked quite well as part of the opening to the live shows, though.

The actual song itself, all 170 seconds of it, is frustratingly quite good. Particularly Morrissey's vocal melody which overcomes the middling music.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 178th from 264 solo songs.

I know a few don't, but I absolutely love this album (I have the legacy version).
This particular track is really a showcase for Cobrin's thrash & smash style of drumming, & he doesn't disappoint; the whole track is epically 'rocktastic' & I love the sheer madness & chaos of it all. Majorly, & boldly, brilliant.
Out of a wide possible selection, my favourite lyric:
"You say pleasant things and
There is no need to"

...which has always made me hark back to the Smiths track 'Heaven Knows'...

Version posted by Flibberty: 8/10
The original and longer version taken on its own is rather unpleasant. It works better as part of the album though, which is a blast of noise an howling guitars interspersed with melodic parts when Morrissey songs.

One of my favorites. "Everyone here is sick to the back teeth of you" Can't give them all 10's so, 9/10. He probably has better songs but the attitude and the singular Morrissey-ness of it is great. Bob Dylan did the same thing, maybe slightly better, with "Positively 4th Street," the song Morrissey really should have covered for CS.

I blame Mando. :thumb:
Same here Mr T.
Because of its use as walk on material, when I hear it now, as soon as the drum roll starts, it puts me back in the concert halls/arenas
Ah, 1995. ‘‘Twas a nice summer.

Same here Mr T.
Because of its use as walk on material, when I hear it now, as soon as the drum roll starts, it puts me back in the concert halls/arenas
Ah, 1995. ‘‘Twas a nice summer.
I was thinking on the same lines here...
This would be great for a concert opening song....

Janice has this been used for the start of some gigs just before the curtain drops

I was thinking on the same lines here...
This would be great for a concert opening song....

Janice has this been used for the start of some gigs just before the curtain drops
Yes Barry. Numerous tours. As recent as late 2016. Before that, 2012 then 1999 & 1997 from memory 🤙

Moz masterpiece 😘

I absolutely adore this song from start to finish. The lyrics are fabulous, and it’s super catchy. I never get tired of this gem!

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom