Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Public Image"

BookishBoy

We close out the P's with this Morrissey/Boorer composition, a B-side on the "I Have Forgiven Jesus" single.

What do we think?

I don't care for this. Lacks melody and seems pretty pointless. He's not putting much into it vocally either.
2 publics/10 images

like it,nice and simple.love the voice on this.
7 dead/10 human beings.

"Be careful, what you say, about people like me, because we don't take it lightly."
True

Fine B-side. It goes on for far too long, and the tune gets pretty tired quickly, but it’s a nice chord sequence which prevents it from becoming my top annoying. His vocals are resigned and cut back: I’m guessing to illustrate to beating down received to his public image - doesn’t necessarily make for an engaging listen. The lyrics are an entertaining moan, and don’t really stand out apart from that. The final moments build, finally showing some much-needed progression, but is it enough to satisfy after a mainly unsatisfactory journey? Don’t know how often I’ll be listening to this again after considering it was left out of Swords and the YATQ deluxe edition.
5/10

It falls into the category, If it’s not on vinyl, it has to be very full of beans to get played. It’s not something I have great love for but, A nod to Bookish Lad for all his hard work, I’ll play it later - twice.
All in all, sadly not a Moz Masterpiece :hammer:

Oh, God... I adore, adore, adore, adore, adore this song. From the first moment I heard it (must have been 2006). The vocal melody is superb and inconsolably melancholic, the instrumentation balances perfectly between light as air and rough and heavy, Mozzer sings perfectly and the piano is worth the price of admission alone. The fact that this song was excluded from Swords is indefensible. Oh, and the lyrics? Endlessly quotable and very original. I'd be hard pressed not to include this in my Solo Top 10.

This sounds pleasant, but it is musically very repetitive and didn't merit at all being 5 minutes long.

Lyrically it is ok, considering it is a b-side from the 4th single, but still a long way from Morrissey at his best.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 200th from 264 solo songs.

Oh, God... I adore, adore, adore, adore, adore this song. From the first moment I heard it (must have been 2006). The vocal melody is superb and inconsolably melancholic, the instrumentation balances perfectly between light as air and rough and heavy, Mozzer sings perfectly and the piano is worth the price of admission alone. The fact that this song was excluded from Swords is indefensible. Oh, and the lyrics? Endlessly quotable and very original. I'd be hard pressed not to include this in my Solo Top 10.

I too love this song. He sounds genuinely pained here. Music captures the feeling of the song and words here very well

I thought this would be an unpopular song’ but it is not. And it is not bad at all.
With its slow pace and piano, it reminds me of This is not your country.

Just be careful when you walk on these broeken stones
They are my feelings

Totally underrated like the "Slum Mums" too. One of the best Quarry b-sides and I really wonder at which time of the Quarry recordings this one was finalized.

I too love this song. He sounds genuinely pained here. Music captures the feeling of the song and words here very well
Glad I’m not the only one!

Totally underrated like the "Slum Mums" too. One of the best Quarry b-sides and I really wonder at which time of the Quarry recordings this one was finalized.
Could very well have been later than that.

Some great honest words there.
A good vehicle for Morrissey, but musically it goes nowhere, with a pointless outro ...

but having said that, I can already hear the whining of people begging
that Boz come back and write more songs. :rolleyes:

Sounds great and could be about many celebs. Reminds me of this recent quote:

"Well, certainly in 1972, '73, '74 he looked incredible, and he was earth-threatening for that period, so, when you consider how he started with no advantages it's remarkable how a strong level of fantasy and vanity can give you so much strength, and he did it without giving anything whatsoever of his true self away."

shite

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom