Morrissey A-Z: "This Song Doesn't End When It's Over"

I wish this song would end sooner...
Unlike Moz’s other attempt at being the Cure or Siouxsie on the deluxe reissue (the superb “Never Again Will I Be A Twin”), this is a sordid dirge, that seems to be crying out “EXPERIMENTAL!!!” for the sake of being experimental.
The bass is supposed to be this giant crunchy tone that anchors the groove, but it’s partially hidden under layers of synth blasts and short guitar squalls.
As for the vocal melody, it could have come from any Moz b-side circa 2006, with the major key lift forced to sound tired, as there isn’t much emphasis on anything in the instrumentation.
Strictly should have been a poor b-side at best. The other “unreleased” LIHS songs (“Blue Dreamers’ Eyes,” “By the Time...” and “I Couldn’t Understand...”) were similarly detached from the overall album’s mood and themes: didn’t they deserve a place here instead?
4/10

Please don't tell me that it suits Morrissey to leave his musical comfort zone in every way. It's symptomatic of the late Morrissey, that here you work your way through a rugged piece of music, more searchingly than smoothly, and in the end you just hope it's over. If you're crying out for a musical fresh start or the big comeback, it's now!

I wouldn't say that this was Morrissey leaving his musical comfort zone, as it's just another dull Boz tune and we have heard dozens of those over the past 30 odd years (along with some fine songs, of course). It's also another track where the vocal melody is superior to the music. The "Do you recall..." section is a highlight...if there is a highlight.

There's nothing horrible about it, but it sounds like the leftover that it is.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 219th from 264 solo songs.

has some good bits here and there,like the,do you recall line.it never made the album,a lot of songs dont.
7 drips/10 drip drip drip drip drip drip.

I wouldn't say that this was Morrissey leaving his musical comfort zone, as it's just another dull Boz tune and we have heard dozens of those over the past 30 odd years (along with some fine songs, of course). It's also another track where the vocal melody is superior to the music. The "Do you recall..." section is a highlight...if there is a highlight.

There's nothing horrible about it, but it sounds like the leftover that it is.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 219th from 264 solo songs.
Maybe you are right. Rippling, abrasive pieces of music are his new comfort zone and at the LIHS sessions especially.
Anticipates his creative lowlight TSOM, somehow.

This is *such* a strange song. Lyrically I quite like it, the whole concept of torturing someone via the memory of song (a perverse mirror image of "Rubber Ring" in a way) but musically it's pretty ugly. (Which is either an in-joke, or the music is just crap.)

Also, the vocal melody on the "Do you recall..." section sounds like it's from a completely different song.

roughly 34 songs to go,it will fly in.

Flibberty argues that the vocal melody is superior to the music, and he is absolutely correct. The music may be sluggish, but the vocal melody is quite strong, and there is nothing wrong with the lyrics. All in all, a good song. Better than plenty of the dreck that makes up most of LIHS.

I've previously referred to this as a 'dirge' (when we discussed it last year in the 'Disasterpieces' thread), & I'm still of the same opinion. It's also almost hypnotic, akin to Japanese water torture 'drip, drip, drip' driving you gradually insane. That said, it's one that grows the more you hear it. The music might be odd, & unconventional (as far as Moz is concerned), but the vocals are strong on this, & for that reason alone, I have to like it. It's almost a pre-cursor to The Secret Of Music, from Dog. I particularly like the acidic lines below, possibly aimed at his critics:

'I sing, and it stings you
And now, my work is done'

Marvellous.

The last minute is brillian, but the verses are a mess, the vocal melody does not mix well with the music.
It’s one of Boz’s more atmospheric tunes, think Maladjusted or even Jack the ripper though not as good.
I like the word ‘hypnotic‘ to describe it.
6/10

To be honest here, this is one of those songs that I’ve never really entertained or bothered with.
I do like this song it sort of has a slight build up and the guitars are interesting...
It’s not the sort of song though that you’d stick on full blast at 06.30 before jumping into the shower.

The chorus is OK, but my god - those verses are so dreary. It's a struggle to get through them without falling into a coma. Dullsville, Arizona. :sick:

His voice sounds as if it's a struggle. I quite like the death dirge of it.

I think it's about his compulsive need to write songs. No matter how bad the industry gets, or how sick he gets, he'll do it because he's out of his mind.

He said something similar in the 2010 interview.

Not great but I like it. The "do you recall" part is awesome.

Who originally said the line about Morrissey songs where the lyrics start with the title?
I like that tremolo guitar though it only lasts about twenty seconds. Not for me.

Another one that I tried to like but it sounds like a meandering mishmash that doesn't go anywhere pleasant for me. 4/10

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom