Morrissey A-Z: "Wide to Receive"

Not exactly an energy booster, but it is enjoyable and a fine addition to the album.
Just a shame that it replced I can have both when there were more suitable candidates.

Well obviously I Know Who I Love was considered early on. Goddard seemed fairly certain that I Can Have Both was pulled at the last minute and replaced with this.
Well, ever since I can remember, I've had this theory stored away that "Wide to receive" should have been a B-side and "I know who I love" had single quality. Somebody decided to change it at the end. The "I can have both" thing must be the newer theory. You could ask Jonny Bridgwood's wife on Twitter. She is more talkative than her husband and knows "I know who I love", but you don't want to come across as if you have no other life content than knowing everything about Maladjusted. Do you?

Gorgeous, lazy tempo, effortless magic from Maladjusted. Wonderful vocals, lovely splashes of guitar, & even Boz on recorder sounds good.
Fabulous.

Interesting notes from PJLM:
"In an interview published in Melody Maker in 1992, Morrissey answered the question "It's a love song, isn't it?" with "Yes, it's supposed to be, but I'd never dash out on a limb. It's supposed to be an internet song. You know, lying by your computer waiting for someone to tap into you and finding that nobody is, and hence being wide to receive. How awful, of course, to be wide to receive and finding there's no reason to be.""

Well, ever since I can remember, I've had this theory stored away that "Wide to receive" should have been a B-side and "I know who I love" had single quality. Somebody decided to change it at the end. The "I can have both" thing must be the newer theory. You could ask Jonny Bridgwood's wife on Twitter. She is more talkative than her husband and knows "I know who I love", but you don't want to come across as if you have no other life content than knowing everything about Maladjusted. Do you?
:D

Well, Simon Goddard is also the person who mentioned his feeling that I Know Who I Love had single quality (in comparison with his low opinion of the other songs on Maladjusted). He doesn't say that it was changed at the end. He simply says that it started out as a possible album track, was relegated to b-side status and then discarded altogether.

Maybe he's completely wrong about that and about I Can Have Both, but not exactly outlandish for me to simply post what he wrote in Mozipedia in 2009.

Edit: I now see in Johnny Rogan's 2006 book that it states that I Know Who I Love was cut down to b-side status, but apparently replaced with this. Presumably Goddard then did further research to ascertain that I Can Have Both was cut even closer to the release date. Typically odd behaviour by Moz. :LOL:

Last edited:
I love this one but find it frustrating too because it's so close to perfection but something is off... Maybe its the annoying repetition of "wide" in the end, or maybe I wish it was faster.

:D

Well, Simon Goddard is also the person who mentioned his feeling that I Know Who I Love had single quality (in comparison with his low opinion of the other songs on Maladjusted). He doesn't say that it was changed at the end. He simply says that it started out as a possible album track, was relegated to b-side status and then discarded altogether.

Maybe he's completely wrong about that and about I Can Have Both, but not exactly outlandish for me to simply post what he wrote in Mozipedia.
I told you where my knowledge came from. For quiet some time, Stephane was the source for everything unreleased. But I like it when you get obsessiv. Anyway, it's still strange to me, that people walk this online place, knowing tunes like "Nightmare", "Hanratty" or "IKWIL".

Last edited:
kinda bluesy for a Moz song, which may be another reason for its inclusion on the album, something a little different from him.

I can have both is good, but it’s better as a great b-side.

Has anyone heard I Know Who I Love? I mean if it’s album or single worthy, then why is it still in the vault?

Curious that this piece should not have been on the record, but in the end replaced "I know who I love". Wonderful wordplay with the name of his favorite poet, again everything sounds like late summer and the splendor of bygone days and quite honestly: how much more delicate is " I am lying here wide to receive" compared to "Wrap your legs around my face just to greet me". Decide for yourselves how much he changed as a poet. Maladjusted forever!!!

In my memory he sings "Wilde" not "Wide", maybe because It wanted it to be that way.
A poet is a man. A man changes his mood in a second and can change his writing as fast. Morrissey can be delicate today as well.
For me Wide to receive is up there with his very best songs.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard I Know Who I Love? I mean if it’s album or single worthy, then why is it still in the vault?
Let's find @roky:
Whoever dropped KIT and IHTWTWYAS on us a few years ago also knows the other Maladjusted outtakes that are now gathering dust somewhere, ignored by the master himself. We can gladly start a call again but...well.

Last edited:
Let's find @roky:
Whoever dropped KIT and IHTWTWYAS on us a few years ago also knows the other Maladjusted outtakes that are now gathering dust somewhere, ignored by the master himself. We can gladly start a call again but...well.

wow, and would like to hear that early version of No One Can Hold A Candle. Maybe someday. :pray:

I love the juxtaposition of the soothing music with the absolutely filthy lyrics. This must be the classiest song ever written about someone yearning for buttsex. Lovely stuff. [10 out of 10]

I told you where my knowledge came from. For quiet some time, Stephane was the source for everything unreleased. But I like it when you get obsessiv. Anyway, it's still strange to me, that people walk this online place, knowing tunes like "Nightmare", "Hanratty" or "IKWIL".
Well, as you've just been discussing Jonny Bridgwood's wife's activity on Twitter, I think we are both as obsessive as each other. ;)

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom