Morrissey A-Z: "You Know I Couldn't Last"

A-la ‘never had no one ever’

Even over 17 years later, I'm not really sure I like this piece. Surely you can recognize the will to remember the early Ziggy. Wild and surging. But to me, there's a bit of a lack of elegance in the melody, and Morrissey's vocals and lyrics aren't as smooth as one might like to think. Still better all approximately everything from his really late work though. Maybe one day we will be informed about "The leeches go on removing" from the aborted 1997 sessions. The past isn't a strange place, believe me. I live there.

Last edited:
Like a few of the songs on Quarry, I love the lyrics and vocals, but find the music a bit lumpen, a bit leaden.

It is crying out for something more nuanced to accompany what Moz is doing.

Many many excellent lyrics in this song, but 'evil legal eagles' has always made me cringe a little bit.

accountants rampant

A damp squib, and an unfortunate choice as a last track. I don’t care for it as a stand alone song (it being a paler version of Paint a Vulgar Picture), but as an album closer it criminally condemns Quarry to the status of ‘dad rock’ mediocrity.

Never cared for this track, always thought it was a poor way to end an excellent album. However, when I heard it played live in Edinburgh, I thought the song worked really well. Still not convinced about the studio version though?

‘dad rock’ mediocrity.
Your entire persona in three words.

Always had a soft spot for this song and it would’ve been great if it had been the final thing Morrissey ever recorded. By the time I heard Ringleader, I was wishing even harder.

Your entire persona in three words.

Always had a soft spot for this song and it would’ve been great if it had been the final thing Morrissey ever recorded. By the time I heard Ringleader, I was wishing even harder.
I generally like you and think you often make solid points, on some topics at least, but these past few days you’ve seemed particularly riled up, agitated and rude. What’s eating you?

The lyrics are quite darkly humorous too, harking back to “Paint A Vulgar Picture” (another song I’ve never really been a fan of): it’s probably the only song I’ve heard that uses the word “gelignite”, so that has to count for something, surely.
In summary, then, a fine song that I’ve just never gotten the hype for.
6/10

I wasn't that fond of "Paint A Vulgar Picture" either until I heard the demo version which actually has the lyrics "paint a vulgar picture"... it's a shame those lyrics were not part of the Strangeways version:

and this world paints a vulgar picture of the way they say that you are ...

but they cannot hurt you my darling ...

and this world paints a vulgar picture of the way they say that you are ...

but they cannot hurt you my darling ...
Those lines are out of this world.

Even over 17 years later, I'm not really sure I like this piece. Surely you can recognize the will to remember the early Ziggy. Wild and surging. But to me, there's a bit of a lack of elegance in the melody, and Morrissey's vocals and lyrics aren't as smooth as one might like to think. Still better all approximately everything from his really late work though. Maybe one day we will be informed about "The leeches go on removing" from the aborted 1997 sessions. The past isn't a strange place, believe me. I live there.
We know😉

Used to think Moz was singin' "the Squirrel of the mind"
at the end of this.
Especially when I listened to that live Earl's Court version.
Now I know it's "squalor", but I still like singin' "Squirrel".

I don't think the title is grammatically incorrect, necessarily. I understand that "know" is present tense and "You Knew I Couldn't Last" would be correct if the title was speaking of something that is in the past but is it? I think he's saying :you know I couldn't last if things continue like this. "The teenagers who love you" love you now but soon they won't. He's talking about lots of things that cause stress like comparing his sales with "the days of the gold discs" and being pressured to generate cash now and in the future.
So I do think the title is present tense. He's thinking of the past and the future but it's not over and he seems to be singing about how to survive it and calling for a break with "take me home."

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom