Morrissey A-Z: "You Say You Don't Love Me" (live cover)

BookishBoy

Our song today is Morrissey's live cover of this Pete Shelley composition, originally released on Buzzcocks' third album, A Different Kind of Tension. Morrissey's live version was eventually released on the "Satellite of Love" single in 2013.

What do we think?

Nice, fun cover. Very fitting for Moz in terms of lyrical theme, musical style, voice range etc. Probably in my top 10 Moz covers.

not for me,its a good song but its not my cup of tea,lets fast forward in our time machine to tomorrow morning.
5 bang/10 average.

Not a bad cover at all; decent, upbeat, lively effort, vocals good; he doesn't really make it his own but I'm not precious about that.
I've always liked the original.

Moz and his bunch of merry men have done a fine job with this cover.

Would sound good in the live arena I would think.

I don’t dislike this song but then I have no other feelings about it so I shall return to clipping my toe nails.

16348FC1-5BC5-4E03-A100-5EA318FCB5F1.jpeg

I write to you, from a Premier Inn in deepest, darkest London.

Where salesmen go to die. (It’s actually Travelodge) but PI are nasty places. I had you down for better.

But as you’ve gone all Carlisle with your lyrics/poetry, what more can be said 🤣🤣
I booked the train tickets, someone else booked the hotel. And it is horrid.

But - on the plus side - it has inspired me to write some bloody great poetry.

I’m not sure if you’ve paid me a compliment or not Janice 🙄

A fun cover and one that fits Morrissey's voice perfectly.

The original is a fine song and the band do a reasonable job recreating it.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 99th from 264 solo songs.

Moz and his bunch of merry men have done a fine job with this cover.

Would sound good in the live arena I would think.

I don’t dislike this song but then I have no other feelings about it so I shall return to clipping my toe nails.

He played it at the Hyde Park gig in o8

My favourite Buzzcocks tune and he does a great job of it. Pete Shelly hand wrote the lyrics for me after a gig in Derby in 2013.

94A258CD-87D6-4248-BAE4-0CA9DBDA0249.jpeg

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom