Morrissey A-Z: "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side"

One of my all time favourites. A rollicking surfer tune, with a massive bass riff, and some scorching guitar interplay. The vocals are punchy and upfront, while the lyrics are funny and simple, yet make a great opening gambit. Everything about the track screams “get ready”, with all the instruments at jet propulsion, ready to take off at any moment. Stellar stuff.
10/10

Just a ridiculously great song. So much swagger, so much confidence, so much...everything. I'm sure there were valid reasons (Morrissey likes his quirky "pop" singles, etc) but imagine if this had been chosen as the first single from YA. What a statement of intent that would have been!

Like Bookish said, swagger and confidence - in abundance. A far, far cry from Kill Uncle, from Viva Hate, from The Smiths. This is Eddie Cochran’s “Something Else”, this is surf rock (like TCB said), this is masculinity and raw, unshakable power. And yes, it really should have been the first single.

one of the great songs in the discography of M,roadrunner would struggle to keep up with this.great voice on this and great lyrics as well.your arse was such a great album.
10 lives/10 lives.vivamozz.

A fantastic track from a perfect album.It is like Johnny and the Hurricanes dropped acid.I am so glad that I got a signed lp from the dogs home.

Without doubt this would have made top 5 in the UK if released as a single.
This song has a lot going on
A thumping baseline
Motörhead like guitars
And sarcasm in the lyrics
What isn’t there to like / love about this song.

In a way I can see what Morrissey has done here by not releasing this song and Glamorous glue as the two lead singles.
It makes the album much stronger with tracks one and two just being album tracks.
He’s done this a few times on certain albums where the obvious singles can scream out to everyone
But something lesser will be chosen as singles.
Very clever
But very annoying 10/10

Without doubt this would have made top 5 in the UK if released as a single.
This song has a lot going on
A thumping baseline
Motörhead like guitars
And sarcasm in the lyrics
What isn’t there to like / love about this song.

In a way I can see what Morrissey has done here by not releasing this song and Glamorous glue as the two lead singles.
It makes the album much stronger with tracks one and two just being album tracks.
He’s done this a few times on certain albums where the obvious singles can scream out to everyone
But something lesser will be chosen as singles.
Very clever
But very annoying 10/10
It's weird, right? For someone so obsessed with chart placings, you'd think he'd be better at choosing singles that might grab more attention from just regular music fans? (Freaks like us are going to buy this stuff anyway.)

It's weird, right? For someone so obsessed with chart placings, you'd think he'd be better at choosing singles that might grab more attention from just regular music fans? (Freaks like us are going to buy this stuff anyway.)
That’s his problem though, he chooses the wrong tracks to release, I mean it’s his music, his job and every thing but sometimes he’s completely wrong with his choices as singles

Fantastic song, one of his very best album openers. Wish he’d start more shows with this song!
And here I am, well you don’t need to look so pleased :)

Oh man, this really is top-tier stuff! Love everything about this track, guitars, bass, Cobrin (again) thrashing & smashing those drums.
Absolutely flawless, day or night, it makes no difference...

At my local pub there is a machine that lets you request songs. A modern jukebox I guess. For some reason this (of all morrissey and the smiths songs) is the specific one that is on it. Live version a few years ago better than the studio. Some pertinent lyric changes.

We Hate It and Fatty both sound like they were written purely to be singles which would explain their repetitiveness (see also Dagenham Dave and Alma Matters), so no surprise that this one wasn't released as an A-side. Especially considering the long instrumental stretches.

It is a much better song than any of the U.K. singles though, and Mick Ronson must surely be due a lot of the credit. I can't imagine any Mark Nevin song sounding like this is if it had been produced by Langer and Winstanley, and the songs on Kirsty MacColl's Titanic Days album (some using the instrumental tracks that Morrissey decided against) sound very different, too.

A cracking way to start the album and a much needed change of direction after Kill Uncle.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 7th from 264 solo songs.

Like all old fans I guess, I remember my surprise when first listening to Your Arsenal in summer 1992 - a friend of mine asked me if it was the new Pixies album when You're Gonna need started.

It was exciting and a little strange, but let's face it, it is pretty rustic.

It is great, but the live version from Hollywood Bowl 07 is seminal.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom