Morrissey as folk devil

• Thread starter Deleted member 29417
  • Start date
Morrissey is a social sickness.

View attachment 65817

View attachment 65818
From Autobiography:

"High-toned, I carry the Dolls LP sleeve into school, where I attempt to reproduce its front cover in blotchy Manchester Education Committee goo-paint as an art presentation. Art teacher Miss Power (for teachers, Miss told us that she was not legally bound to a man, Mrs told us that she was legally bound to a man, whilst Mr slyly protected the secret) was so highly strung that she frequently raced from the classroom in tears of rage at someone not present. On this particular day, spotting the New York Dolls sleeve resting on my desk in that’s-my-boy sniffiness, Miss Power grabbed the LP sleeve and held it aloft for the entire class to examine:
LOOK AT THIS!’ she demanded of everyone, ‘LOOK AT THIS!’ and everyone looked at this. ‘THIS is sickness. These are MEN making themselves sexual for OTHER MEN.
And on she went, terribly upset. She appealed to the class for support, but none came, and although I expected a fierce larruping for abstaining from dullness, none came, and Miss Power had merely outed me as a prostitute; a midnight cowboy in flannel-grey.
I felt quite pleased that something might disconnect me from the vacant clambrains seated around me, but it wasn’t Miss Power’s fault that she did not know that the Dolls’ appearance had girls – not boys – flocking to mingle with them, and that the Dolls gratefully obliged in a modern world uncharted by Miss Power, who was nonetheless certain that her own life had a moral superiority that the New York Dolls ought to be wise enough to follow. But the world within (and without) St Mary’s was not yet ready, and even when the Dolls’ Frankenstein was bravely spun on the school’s nearer-my-God-to-thee-am-I record player by Miss Judge for an English language dissection (for I was not the type to give up until blood spurted out – my own, if necessary), none of the listening lads of 1973 had anything to say by way of autopsy until Andrew Lempiki spoke up quite brilliantly with:
I thought they were birds.’"

Some things never change.
"...for I was not the type to give up until blood spurted out – my own, if necessary..."

From Autobiography:

"High-toned, I carry the Dolls LP sleeve into school, where I attempt to reproduce its front cover in blotchy Manchester Education Committee goo-paint as an art presentation. Art teacher Miss Power (for teachers, Miss told us that she was not legally bound to a man, Mrs told us that she was legally bound to a man, whilst Mr slyly protected the secret) was so highly strung that she frequently raced from the classroom in tears of rage at someone not present. On this particular day, spotting the New York Dolls sleeve resting on my desk in that’s-my-boy sniffiness, Miss Power grabbed the LP sleeve and held it aloft for the entire class to examine:
LOOK AT THIS!’ she demanded of everyone, ‘LOOK AT THIS!’ and everyone looked at this. ‘THIS is sickness. These are MEN making themselves sexual for OTHER MEN.
And on she went, terribly upset. She appealed to the class for support, but none came, and although I expected a fierce larruping for abstaining from dullness, none came, and Miss Power had merely outed me as a prostitute; a midnight cowboy in flannel-grey.
I felt quite pleased that something might disconnect me from the vacant clambrains seated around me, but it wasn’t Miss Power’s fault that she did not know that the Dolls’ appearance had girls – not boys – flocking to mingle with them, and that the Dolls gratefully obliged in a modern world uncharted by Miss Power, who was nonetheless certain that her own life had a moral superiority that the New York Dolls ought to be wise enough to follow. But the world within (and without) St Mary’s was not yet ready, and even when the Dolls’ Frankenstein was bravely spun on the school’s nearer-my-God-to-thee-am-I record player by Miss Judge for an English language dissection (for I was not the type to give up until blood spurted out – my own, if necessary), none of the listening lads of 1973 had anything to say by way of autopsy until Andrew Lempiki spoke up quite brilliantly with:

"...for I was not the type to give up until blood spurted out – my own, if necessary..."
My god that book is so good (apart from the tedious bits).

My god that book is so good (apart from the tedious bits).
It is. And I tend to forget just how good it is.
Even after re-reading it multiple times you can still discover something new.

From Autobiography:

Somethings never change ....

‘I felt quite pleased that something might disconnect me from the vacant clambrains seated around me’

Anything to be ... hoisted from the herd.

:cool:

Central's Covid stance makes no sense but Morrissey got flack for Ian Brown, Van Morrison, Noel Gallagher & Right Said Fred.

20201123_223840.jpg

It's very meh - but -

He's vaguely against drugs being illegal, but doesn't like the legal ones.

20201122_005719.jpg

20201009_040638.jpg

Thinks meat is a disaster.

20201122_014951.jpg

Mentions being given a heroin based medicine to calm him down.

20201009_040621.jpg

Felt the NHS let his mother die.

20201123_234457.jpg

So something might be brewing there.

The thing is if Karen got drunk and puked at a party she'd bring it up at every party forever after and explain how it didn't really happen the way you think it did.

The thing is if Karen got drunk and puked at a party she'd bring it up at every party forever after and explain how it didn't really happen the way you think it did.
No. It did happen, but it what she actually meant is....

🤒

Fake C, parties where peeps get drunk and throw up? arent you a bit long in the tooth for that type of carrying on?:mad:

No. It did happen, but it what she actually meant is....

Animal liberation is a protected belief in the UK, so I can dismiss you as a bigot.

You could always try to explain what you really meant...

But I could just keep saying it's a protected belief - which it is - & you're a bigot.

Animal liberation is a protected belief in the UK, so I can dismiss you as a bigot.

You could always try to explain what you really meant...

But I could just keep saying it's a protected belief - which it is - & you're a bigot.
Did you go full Vegan.Cro 🙂? What Animal Liberation's got to do with it?

I just joined Fake C in ridiculing you.

Morrissey's relationship with the media is rocky to say the least.

He constructed his identity out of it:
20201113_201417.jpg

His depression was triggered by it:
20201125_131936.jpg

He thinks being aggressive enough to get coverage is essential:
20201122_012850.jpg

But he hates it:
20201122_012720.jpg

And gets hurt by the gap between his perception of the journalist and the article they write:
20200922_225453.jpg

When he's very wounded, he avoids it:
20201004_163645.jpg

For a while he moved to LA to escape it:
20201125_032202.jpg

Which is not what any record company wants:
20201122_005645.jpg

It's not even possible now that clickbait has combined the UK's periodic monsterings with America's culture wars & sent it sloshing around the globe.

He's become more vulgar as he gets older & has a habit of invective that borders on a belief in magic
20201129_234011.jpg

but faced with a stark anti-Royal t-shirt & the standard hard left opinion that the Falklands belong to Argentina, The Guardian, who usually agree with these things, had to resort to a debate about Morrissey's personality to get Royal/Falklands comments, tweets, likes & shares.

It's not unreasonable to feel victimised when the music press dismisses homophobic abuse, misrepresents your stage act to build a story around a picture & can't check its own cuttings.

20201125_000337.jpg

20201010_223155.jpg

(Homophobic men's men need to be weathered - art statements are bad? They clearly decided to give him a kicking for not reacting well to the crowd & not playing the second day. The flag stuff was nothing but a fig-leaf/smear.)

Similarly, a scattershot interview with GQ, in which he liked Labour MP Clare Short & called the IRA freedom fighters, was gutted for unacceptable views by left-wing magazine, The New Statesman, leaving them with cutting foreign aid & bringing back old buses.

On Twitter all your opinions have to align with your political tribe, even if you don't know you have a political tribe until they demand you delete your account & kill yourself. And by 2013 journalism was hooked on Twitter.

Unsurprisingly Morrissey doesn't do aligning & ended up so alienated by the new outrage economy that he set up Central, which manages to provide twistable copy while almost never mentioning that he's got an album out/is on tour/has a shop/hasn't killed himself.

There was a mini-flurry around his 2019 American/Canadian gigs. Audience numbers scrutinised, 2 protesters asked to leave in Portland... his manager invited a journalist to the Hollywood Bowl, but they didn't meet & he wore a F**k The Guardian t-shirt.

It might have been the defining image of his old age, but a few weeks later The Guardian started to crack.

The thing he'd noticed about them:
20201125_082805.jpg

was true. Legacy was turning into social.

20201129_230158.jpg

20201124_220529.jpg

20201124_233945.jpg

Morrissey is brilliant at spotting flaws & underlying trends.

The media knows associations & overlying norms.

They'd benefit from listening to each other.

View attachment 66086

View attachment 66087

View attachment 66088

But he hates it:View attachment 66089

And gets hurt by the gap between his perception of the journalist and the article they write:
View attachment 66090

View attachment 66091

View attachment 66092

View attachment 66093

It's not even possible now that clickbait has combined the UK's periodic monsterings with America's culture wars & sent it sloshing around the globe.

He's become more vulgar as he gets older & has a habit of invective that borders on a belief in magic
View attachment 66094

but faced with a stark anti-Royal t-shirt & the standard hard left opinion that the Falklands belong to Argentina, The Guardian, who usually agree with these things, had to resort to a debate about Morrissey's personality to get Royal/Falklands comments, tweets, likes & shares.

It's not unreasonable to feel victimised when the music press dismisses homophobic abuse, misrepresents your stage act to build a story around a picture & can't check its own cuttings.

View attachment 66095

View attachment 66096

(Homophobic men's men need to be weathered - art statements are bad? They clearly decided to give him a kicking for not reacting well to the crowd & not playing the second day. The flag stuff was nothing but a fig-leaf/smear.)

Similarly, a scattershot interview with GQ, in which he liked Labour MP Clare Short & called the IRA freedom fighters, was gutted for unacceptable views by left-wing magazine, The New Statesman, leaving them with cutting foreign aid & bringing back old buses.

On Twitter all your opinions have to align with your political tribe, even if you don't know you have a political tribe until they demand you delete your account & kill yourself. And by 2013 journalism was hooked on Twitter.

Unsurprisingly Morrissey doesn't do aligning & ended up so alienated by the new outrage economy that he set up Central, which manages to provide twistable copy while almost never mentioning that he's got an album out/is on tour/has a shop/hasn't killed himself.

There was a mini-flurry around his 2019 American/Canadian gigs. Audience numbers scrutinised, 2 protesters asked to leave in Portland... his manager invited a journalist to the Hollywood Bowl, but they didn't meet & he wore a F**k The Guardian t-shirt.

It might have been the defining image of his old age, but a few weeks later The Guardian started to crack.

View attachment 66097

View attachment 66098

View attachment 66099
View attachment 66101

Must be your shortest post. Viva BrummieBoy. 🌑☀️

Could the off-topic stuff be moved somewhere else?

It's getting a bit clogged.

View attachment 65948
Talk about clogging.:ahhh:
:handpointdown:

View attachment 66086

View attachment 66087

View attachment 66088

But he hates it:View attachment 66089

View attachment 66090

View attachment 66091

View attachment 66092

View attachment 66093

View attachment 66094

View attachment 66095

View attachment 66096

View attachment 66097

View attachment 66098

View attachment 66099
View attachment 66101

Translation for Karen: Could the off-topic of the off-topic of non-Princess Karen posts be moved. The Princess is inconvenienced and it is in the best interest of the Princess that you and your posts move too. This is a special thread devoted to the Princess herself after all. Besides, the Princess shows her infinite, endless presence in every thread, thank you very much. Yes, Princess, everyone got the memo (including Queenie) and the message you send to everyone. Message received, loud and clear, loud and clear:

proxy-image

:handpointdown:

proxy-image

Tags
folk devil media morrissey
Back
Top Bottom