Morrissey attends Echobelly concert (October 8, 2021)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29417
  • Start date
Moz was at Echobelly's gig.

full

All around nice to see. Didn't Morrissey have a brief friendship with Echobelly in the mid-90s? Anyway, had a chance to see them a few times around 95/96 - very good band.
Sonya was at the Drury Lane gig on the Boxers tour. Had a brief chat with her on the steps outside as we were going in. Lovely lady and a great band. From memory she had some health issues in the mid to late 90s that kind of torpedoed their career.

Sonya from Echobelly in 2017:

And as for REM, they said that we basically inspired them to get back into writing when they heard the Bellyache EP and they wrote Monster after that, which was their biggest selling album, so that again was an amazing thing to hear. And then with Morrissey – he turned up at my flat in Gloucester Terrace and expressed his love for the band and asked us to come on tour in the U.S with him. Suede were all the rage at the time and I remember reading an article where a journalist asked him what he thought of them and he said, yes they write nice songs but Echobelly write great songs. In his autobiography, he says that he loves the band. I’m really moved because I appreciate him as a writer and I know that some of our contemporaries would give a kidney to hear him say these things about them haha!! Obviously you can hear a little bit of Morrissey in those songs of that time so it would have meant more? Yes, but that’s more Glenn’s influence, it’s not mine – as I didn’t grow up with the Smiths – I heard through the grapevine that he loved the title of one of our songs “I Can’t Imagine The World Without Me”. And Steve Lillywhite, the producer, told us that he would play our music constantly, when they were recording.

This has reminded me of the time when in the gossip section at the back of the NME, they said that Sonia was expecting Morrissey’s child. It was an “April Fool”, but I do recall passing my copy around the lesser common room and people taking it in.

I’d forgotten all that. What was the gossip section called?

Suede were all the rage at the time and I remember reading an article where a journalist asked him what he thought of them and he said, yes they write nice songs but Echobelly write great songs.

:ha-no:Funny man.

Fancy seeing Echobelly tonight JJ, nah, I’m off to see Rick Astley and Blossoms sing your and Marrs songs:ROFLMAO:
Who’s this JJ?

Also Morrissey's production manager I think. ( no idea what a production manager is though)
Yeah, saw that on Instagram. I guess he works with the live shows?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom