Morrissey Cancels US Tour?

M

Melissa

Spin Fax Music Today

Wednesday July 31, 2002
TODAY’S TOP STORIES – Sum 41, Feeder, The Doves

Morrissey Cancels Tour
Former Smiths frontman Morissey has canceled his current tour for an indefinite period of time. No word on why the artist decided to cancel the tour, but rumors are swirling that he may actually be working on another album. Morrissey has not released an album since the 1997 effort, “Maladjusted.”

Sum’s Double Project
Sum 41 are releasing two albums in November, their follow-up to “All Killer, No Filler” and an EP performed by their alter ego, Pain for Pleasure. “A lot of the things that people don’t understand is that Pain for Pleasure and Sum 41 are two different groups,” said Sum 41 singer Deryck Whibley to MTV. “And they hate each other.” The hate obviously doesn’t go that deep since Pain for Pleasure is basically all the members from Sum 41 doing riffs on 1980s heavy metal. Drummer Steve Jocz is the lyricist for Pain, with Sum guitarist Dave Baksh dubbing himself Pleasure, the composer of the band. Whibley and Sum bassist Cone McCaslin are described by Jocz as the “hired guns” of the group. Sum 41 plan on finishing both albums in Toronto before they perform at the U.K. for the Reading and Leeds festivals (August 23-25).

Feeder’s Inspiration
Feeder’s upcoming album, “Comfort In Sound,” is influenced by the suicide of drummer Jon Lee. The project features the single “Come Back Around,” which contains the lyrics: “We suffer the breaks/You know/ still remember it / It keeps burning away / I know you may take a while / To come back around…I miss you around.” The 33-year-old Lee hanged himself from his Miami garage on January 7. Other songs on the album, which streets September 30, include “Forget About Tomorrow,” “Helium,” “Find The Colour,” “Just The Way I’m Feeling,” “Godzilla,” and “Child In You.”

The Doves, Bowie, Among Mercury Nods
This year’s Mercury Music Prize nominations features artists who aren’t exactly household names in the U.S. The Doves and David Bowie are the best known artists of the bunch. The 12 artists who are nominated for the Mercury Music Prize are: Beverly Knight (“Who I Am”), The Bees (“Sunshine, Hit Me”), The Coral (“The Coral”), David Bowie (“Heathen”), The Doves (“The Last Broadcast”), The Electric Soft Parade (“Holes In The Wall”), Gemma Hayes (“Night on My Side”), Guy Barker (“Soundtrack”), Joanna MacGregor (“Play”), Ms. Dynamite (“Run Come Save Me”), The Streets (“Original Pirate Musical”). Past winners include P.J. Harvey (2001), Badly Drawn Boy (2000) and Gomez (1998).

MORE TODAY’S TOP STORIES – Filter, U2, No Doubt, David Bowie

Take A Schizophrenic Picture for Filter
Filter frontman Richard Patrick is not bothered if people are caught off guard by the diverse musical stylings of the band’s album “The Amalgamut.” “It’s about individuality and freedom and being able to do whatever the f**k you want regardless of how different it is from what everyone else is doing,” said Patrick to MTV. “When we were working on this record, I noticed how amazing it is that people can blend in so well in one culture, and I realized how much I love this country.” Tracks on the album include “You Walk Away,” the rock-driven “American Cliché,” the industrial track “Columind,” and the catchy first single “Where Do We Go From Here.” “It’s all about creating a great big melting pot,” said Patrick, who says the album’s variety helped him appreciate America’s inherent diversity. “And I think that’s what America is all about. Especially here in southern California, you can’t tell what (ethnicity) people are. You can’t go, ‘oh, that’s a black guy, this is a white guy.’ Of course, there’s black and white buys, but there are so many diverse, incredibly unique people all over this country because of the melting pot idea.” Guitarist Geno Lenardo was more succinct with his thoughts, saying The Amalgamut (released just this week) “is the best s**t we’ve ever done.”

U2 Gets “Electric”
U2 will release their new single “Electric Storm” on October 21, and it will be among the tracks on the November release of their “Best Of” compilation. No word on what the other new song on the Best Of album will be, although the group have been previewing parts of the song “The Hands That Built America,” which is featured on the Leonardo DiCaprio flick “Gangs of New York.” Fans can check out The Hands That Built America on the band’s official web site. The 17-track album hits stores November 18, and a DVD of U2’s most popular hits comes out in December.

Bowie The Pessimist
Although he is one of music’s more visionary artists, David Bowie is a bit existential when it comes to the future of mankind. “I’ve always been like that, I’m very negative,” said Bowie to Jam! Music. “I really don’t mean to be but I’m not totally at one with the idea of progress or evolution. I think those things are structures that we’ve created to enable us to survive in case there is no reason for us being.” Bowie, who lives near his Area2 tour mate Moby in downtown Manhattan, says there is now a “look behind everybody’s eyes” in New York City. “I think we just kind of give ourselves that impression with technology,” said Bowie. “I don’t think we, as a species, actually evolve at all, I think we’re as cruel and as awful as we were 10,000 years ago.”

Distillers Join No Doubt, Garbage
Los Angeles punk band the Distillers will open up the No Doubt/Garbage tour. The group is lead by Brody Armstrong, the wife of Rancid member Tim Armstrong. No Doubt will also spend October 12 and 18 opening up for The Rolling Stones, at Detroit’s Ford Field and at the Toronto Skydome respectively.

MORE TODAY’S TOP STORIES – Garageland, Sloan, Slipknot

A New Waltz For Garageland
New Zealand band Garageland will release their third album “Scorpio Righting” on October 15. The album, recorded at Kare Kare Studios (which rests on the New Zealand beach that was the setting for the movie The Piano), was actually inspired by the Martin Scorsese movie The Last Waltz, a movie that chronicled the waning days of The Band. “This album is exploring other sides of our record collection,” said singer-songwriter Jeremy Eade. “This is a pure album; the lyrics, melodies and singing are my best yet. I want to write music for true music lovers.”

No Fruity Songs For Sloan
Canadian rock band Sloan are currently recording demos for their next studio album, which has a tentative release date of next spring. Frontman Jay Ferguson says the new effort will have “less of the fruity acoustic songs,” but adding “we’re not going to turn into Korn or anything like that.” The group, formed back in 1991, have proven that they could delve into pop, cover acoustic ballads, and play rock-driven material. Even with their artistic growth, Sloan still won’t ask for an excess of collaborators, a trait that afflicts many bands. “We’re xenophobic,” said Ferguson to MTV. “We don’t want anybody in our inner circle. I think there’s enough ideas and enough stuff going on in our own band.”

Slipknot’s Next Crazy Venture
Rock act Slipknot have never been a group to mince their words, and drummer Joey Jordinson spoke to Rolling Stone about their planned follow-up to last year’s platinum selling Iowa. “It’s pretty f**king brutal still,” said Jordinson, who says some of the tracks left off the last album can be found on their next effort. “Slipknot has the Slayer
mentality: You know exactly what you’re getting into when you buy our f**king record.” Jordinson was a bit vague when asked to address rumors that the band’s next album will be their final output. “The thing with this band is it’s so extreme and it’s so special and it’s something you can’t keep recreating over and over,” said the drummer. “We’re not a formulated band. We have our certain thing that we do. Each album is a progression from the last. Something’s heavier, or there’s something a little more twisted or atmospheric about the new one than the last. But there’s gonna be a limit to how far we can go with it. It might be two more albums, maybe three, maybe one, I don’t know.” Fans of the band can also look forward to a fall release of a DVD that features all of their music videos as well as their Wembley Arena (London) performance last February.

Breaking Up, or Not Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl has made it clear that the band was never going to split up, even though he’s worked with Queens of the Stone Age. However, Grohl admitted to NME.com that the band did have problems when they started recording in the studio last October, after drummer Taylor Hawkins was hospitalized for “overindulgence.” “After that went down it scared the s**t out of everybody and we thought ‘Let’s stop for a while’,” said Grohl. “Then we thought the one thing that could heal us was working on the record and honestly, I don’t think we were ready to go in yet. After two and a half months of recording, it became a chore. We didn’t feel like the luckiest people in the world like usual.” Now the time off has paid for the group as Grohl says their upcoming album “1 X 1” is “ten times better than it was six months ago.” The group’s fourth album comes out October 22.

MORE TODAY’S TOP STORIES – Nickelback, Unwritten Law, Paul McCartney

Quick Stuff
· Paul McCartney is headed to the White House. The former Beatle, along with Elizabeth Taylor, James Earl Jones, Chita Rivera, and James Levine will be received by President George W. Bush and first lady Laura Bush at the White House on December 8. After the gathering, the honorees will attend a ceremony at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. “The Honors recipients are recognized for their lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts,” reads a statement issued by the Kennedy Center on Tuesday. · KISS member Gene Simmons has shot down reports that the group will tour this fall. “(This is yet) another example and proof positive why I hate the internet,” said Simmons on the band’s official web site. · The Breeders musicians Kim and Kelly Deal make cameo appearances on the upcoming season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The group’s version of the Buffy theme song was part of their tour set this year. “The band have always acknowledged they watch too much TV, and the upshot of covering the Buffy theme is that the producer, a long time Breeders fan, is working on getting Kim and Kelley into an episode in the next series,” said the group’s spokesperson to NME.com. The “Buffy Theme” is featured as one of the extra tracks on the group’s upcoming single “Son of Three,” which is on their latest album, “Title TK.” · Aerosmith drummer Joey Krammer would entertain a possible solo record if his hectic schedule actually died down. “If I was to do a (solo) record, I would probably have to do it all the way and put a band together,” said Kramer to Rockdaily.com. “Sure, it’s something that I could see myself doing down the life…by the time you spend the amount of time that we do on the road, doing the amount of shows that we do, by the time we’re done, I want to be off and I want to be with my family and I want to be with my wife.” · The group Eyes Adrift, which consists of ex-Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic, ex-Meat Puppets singer-guitarist Curtis Kirkwood, and Long Beach Dub Allstars drummer Bud Gaugh, will release their album September 24. The band are planning a tour starting October. · Bon Jovi are among the celebs who will perform a September 5 concert at Times Square to celebrate the NFL season and honor the city. The 90-minute program, which starts at 3:30 p.m., will also include performances from Enrique Iglesias and DJ Skribble. Bon Jovi’s next album, “Bounce,” hits stores October 8. The rock group, after their Times Square gig, will be flown to Giants Stadium to play during halftime. · Nickelback, Unwritten Law, Default, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Sevendust, Bad Religion, and Social Distortion are among the groups who will perform at San Diego, Ca.’s Street Scene 2002 music festival September 6-8. Over 80 acts are scheduled to perform during the three-day festival.

Celeb Stuff
· Actress Lolita Davidovich (Blaze, Play It To The Bone) has signed on to star in five episodes of next season’s The Agency. Davidovich plays FBI agent Avery Poole, a CIA liaison who may have had an affair with CIA director Tom Gage (Beau Bridges). The CBS series’ second season premieres September 28 at 10 pm et/pt). · Shakira and Sean “P. Diddy” Combs have been added to the list of performers at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards. The program, which takes place August 29 at New York’s Radio City Music hall, will feature performances from Eminem, Pink, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. · The people have spoken, and Robert Downey Jr. is the man to replace Rob Lowe on The West Wing. A USA Today online poll shows that Downey Jr. and Benjamin Bratt were the dream choices to be added on the show, with Downey Jr. receiving 34% of the vote. · Want to smell like Celine Dion?? The pop singer is developing her own fragrance with Coty Inc., and the perfume should hit stores by early next year. Dion isn’t the only celeb to get her own scent. Jennifer Lopez, Michael Jordan, Elizabeth Taylor, and Isabella Rossellini are among the other celebs who have dipped their hands in the perfume industry.

SOUND BITES – Foo Fighters, Feeder, Sum 41

1. The Foo Fighters drummer Dave Grohl talks about the creative foundation of the band. incue – Most bands
outcue – go through :36

2. Feeder member Grant Nicholas talks about promoting the album Portugal. incue – Oh Portugal outcue – an eye opener :30

3. Sum 41 singer Deryck Whibley and bassist Cone McCaslin talk about how the band create their music. Incue – Well Derek
Outcue – it’s my song, yeah :16

4. Here is today’s HBO Dennis Miller Live produced comedy promo: incue – Last week outcue – only on HBO :73

5. Dennis Miller talks about Jimmy Carter and Paris.
incue – let’s see
outcue – my vacation :56

ON THE BUS artists on tour – Nickelback

9/5 Blackfoot, ID Eastern Idaho State Fair
9/6 Salt Lake City, UT Utah State Fair
9/7 Fontana, CA California Speedway
9/8 San Diego, CA Street Scene 2002
9/12 Kearney, NE Buffalo County Fairgrounds
9/13 Wayne, IN Allen County War Memorial Coliseum
9/14 Sioux Falls, SD WH Lyons Fairgrounds
9/15 Fort Laud, FL Lockhart Stadium

TUNED IN who’s on the tube – Jewel, Alanis Morissette

Rosie – Kelsey Grammer, Jeff Probst and singer Alanis Morissette.
(Repeat)

David Letterman – Joaquin Phoenix (Signs). Musical guest is Little Richard.

Jay Leno – Mel Gibson and political commentator Jim Cramer. Musical guest is Duncan Sheik.

Craig Kilborn – David Hyde Pierce (Full Frontal). Musical guest is Jewel.

Conan O’Brien – Ted Danson, Alex Kingston, and Zach Galifianakis.
(Repeat)

Carson Daly – Janeane Garofalo and rapper Fat Joe. (Repeat 4/8/02)

Dana Carvey is interviewed on tonight’s Revealed with Jules Asner. (E!, 10 pm et/pt)

ON THIS DAY momentous events – Courtney Love, Bill Berry, Fatboy Slim

1976 - Blue Oyster Cult released the song “Don’t Fear The Reaper.”

1981 - Blondie’s Debbie Harry released her first solo album, “Koo Koo.”

1995 – Courtney Love walked out on a Pittsburgh concert mid-show after an audience member tossed a shotgun shell on stage.

Birthdays

Bill Berry - The former REM drummer is 46.

Daniel Ash - The Bauhaus/Love And Rockets/Tones On Tail guitarist is 45.

Norman Cook - The former Housemartins bassist who went on to find success as DJ Fatboy Slim is 39.

Birthdays

Wesley Snipes - The actor (Art Of War, Passenger 57, White Men Can’t Jump, Blade, Blade 2) is 40.

Dean Cain - The actor (TV’s Ripley’s Believe Or Not, Lois & Clark) is 36.

Loren Dean - The actor (Mumford, Billy Bathgate, Gattaca, Plain Clothes, Mrs. Winterbourne, Say Anything) is 33.

Oh For F*ck's Sake, Please Don't Be True!!

let's keep our finger's crossed...

otherwise, we'll all just have to Stretch Out And Wait

> Spin Fax Music Today

Could you send the link? I'm not really buying this at the moment, seeing as his name is missing an 'r' in the body of the article. This spin fax music today doesn't come up when I put it in search engines. If it's fake, nice try. I hope you don't have a link, come to think of it. Can't take more of these schedule changes.

> Could you send the link? I'm not really buying this at the moment, seeing
> as his name is missing an 'r' in the body of the article. This spin fax
> music today doesn't come up when I put it in search engines. If it's fake,
> nice try. I hope you don't have a link, come to think of it. Can't take
> more of these schedule changes.

---------

I just bought my tickets late tonight for the Seattle Show at the Paramount Theatre/Ballroom on Thursday, Aug. 22nd. If it had been cancelled today, I don't think Ticketmaster would've sold me tickets. Just a thought...

JN

> Spin Fax Music Today

> Wednesday July 31, 2002
> TODAY’S TOP STORIES – Sum 41, Feeder, The Doves

> Morrissey Cancels Tour
> Former Smiths frontman Morissey has canceled his current tour for an
> indefinite period of time. No word on why the artist decided to cancel the
> tour, but rumors are swirling that he may actually be working on another
> album. Morrissey has not released an album since the 1997 effort,
> “Maladjusted.”

????

if this is true, why did he go through the trouble of rescheduling the dates????

are they sure they didn't misunderstand something about cancelling the first dates and thinking it was the entire tour?

i mean, i could understand playing the dates that were already scheduled because he might as well play them, and a few of them were very big headlining bits and worth the cashflow just to show up...

*sigh*

Very sensible, Suzanne. Yes.

Haha!

> ????

> if this is true, why did he go through the trouble of rescheduling the
> dates????

> are they sure they didn't misunderstand something about cancelling the
> first dates and thinking it was the entire tour?

> i mean, i could understand playing the dates that were already scheduled
> because he might as well play them, and a few of them were very big
> headlining bits and worth the cashflow just to show up...

> *sigh*

It's probably bull.

If he really does, then screw him.

Back
Top Bottom