Morrissey currently has 1,845,965 monthly listeners on Spotify

Ok, let me repeat then what I said:

Very few artists have as successfully gone solo leaving a classic band as Moz has. Look at The Jam-Paul Weller, Talking Heads-David Byrne or indeed Roxy-Ferry and Oasis-Liam Gallagher.

The only exception I can think of is maybe Lou Reed.

Glad we agreed on this, then ;)

Very few artists have as successfully gone solo leaving a classic band as Moz has. Look at The Jam-Paul Weller, Talking Heads-David Byrne or indeed Roxy-Ferry and Oasis-Liam Gallagher.

yeah those other acts are all legacy acts to whatever extent even James in the smaller market they’re in. Morrissey was in legacy band and went solo successfully with a variety of musicians that not only lasted decades but was fairly successful for decades. James and new orders members have to lean on there legacy bands to keep they’re own projects going (see Peter hook especially who is a cool guy) and morrissey didn’t. It’s a rare achievement

To be fair, Liam’s success has been massive. Obviously Oasis are historically more successful (27 years since their debut and seven studio albums vs four years for Liam and two studio albums), and their cultural impact is immense thanks to a string of successful singles and albums in the 90’s and 00’s, but Liam is still a perfect example of a singer doing fantastically well as a solo artist after having left a successful band.

You keep comparing Spotify stats. On Spotify The Smiths have more monthly listens than Morrissey just like Oasis have more monthly listens than Liam.

Liam Gallagher left a classic band and became successful

Liam Gallagher left a classic band and became successful

They had one good album; Definitely Maybe. Wonderwall was the best track on the second. Up to this point, they also had some good B-sides. Oasis then went downhill fast. The songs simply weren't there. As can be seen by Liam and Noel's solo careers.

Only on Morrissey-solo will you see people arguing that having 1.8 million monthly listeners on Spotify alone isn't that successful. I'm surprised no one has brought up Marr's spotify numbers (237,337 as a solo artist and 239,030 with Electronic)

yeah those other acts are all legacy acts to whatever extent even James in the smaller market they’re in. Morrissey was in legacy band and went solo successfully with a variety of musicians that not only lasted decades but was fairly successful for decades. James and new orders members have to lean on there legacy bands to keep they’re own projects going (see Peter hook especially who is a cool guy) and morrissey didn’t. It’s a rare achievement

In what way are they legacy acts? Peter Hook is leaning on his past but James and New Order are releasing new material which sells well.

Hooky plays in a tribute band, NO, a band where you dont even have to know how to play an instrument, gave him the boot. 🧐
James is unknown outside the English portion of the UK.:blushing:
and the chip has run out of material, the NO cucks are stamped 'done'.:)
they all suck anyways:lbf:

They had one good album; Definitely Maybe. Wonderwall was the best track on the second. Up to this point, they also had some good B-sides. Oasis then went downhill fast. The songs simply weren't there. As can be seen by Liam and Noel's solo careers.
There were some absolute killers on all subsequent albums.

Be Here Now: Don’t Go Away

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants: Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic

Heathen Chemistry: Hindu Times, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud

Don’t Believe the Truth: The Importance of Being Idle, Guess God Thinks I’m Abel

Dig Out Your Soul: Falling Down, I’m Outta Time

But completely disregarding Oasis’ lesser known albums is what lazy journalists and opinionated yet ill informed folk have been doing ever since Oasis went out of style and stopped trying to duplicate Live Forever or Don’t Look Back In Anger.

In what way are they legacy acts? Peter Hook is leaning on his past but James and New Order are releasing new material which

yeah but they don’t sell more than there previous records or have more or similar popularity today and many people go to see them to hear the old songs and relive old days. They all had solo acts that didn’t go anywhere in terms of popularity though several are great (I love that Tim booth album) and all went back to there legacy bands to maintain what they could (artistically I think they succeeded). Morrissey has largely succeeded in terms of popularity without having to do that. His solo albums charted more at the time than the smiths (though the numbers over time are different). He’s never been a greatest hits machine live or had a relive our popular album tour. No reunions and he has had a couple surges in popularity over a long period of time while solo. I don’t anybody at the time of maladjusteds release would have said he would become a big success in America with quarry. These accomplishments are worth praising. I don’t think the other acts mentioned can exactly say the same. I don’t say that to diminish the other acts ( you do what you can ) but rather to point out that morrisseys accomplishments are of a rarer quality. Hell his bio sold more than most bands records and he does it on a large scale

There were some absolute killers on all subsequent albums.

Be Here Now: Don’t Go Away

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants: Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic

Heathen Chemistry: Hindu Times, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud

Don’t Believe the Truth: The Importance of Being Idle, Guess God Thinks I’m Abel

Dig Out Your Soul: Falling Down, I’m Outta Time

But completely disregarding Oasis’ lesser known albums is what lazy journalists and opinionated yet ill informed folk have been doing ever since Oasis went out of style and stopped trying to duplicate Live Forever or Don’t Look Back In Anger.

they certainly went down in terms of sales critical acclaim popularity. Liam did pull out something successful in terms of solo acts. When he does it a couple more times over a longer time period I’ll give him the credit I’m giving morrissey

they are suco legacy acts while moz continues with superb current material.:thumb:
NO 'fans' are not what you would call beacons of light;)
they think when bernards lips are moving but there are no vocals, he making guitar sounds:lbf:

yeah but they don’t sell more than there previous records or have more or similar popularity today and many people go to see them to hear the old songs and relive old days. They all had solo acts that didn’t go anywhere in terms of popularity though several are great (I love that Tim booth album) and all went back to there legacy bands to maintain what they could (artistically I think they succeeded). Morrissey has largely succeeded in terms of popularity without having to do that. His solo albums charted more at the time than the smiths (though the numbers over time are different). He’s never been a greatest hits machine live or had a relive our popular album tour. No reunions and he has had a couple surges in popularity over a long period of time while solo. I don’t anybody at the time of maladjusteds release would have said he would become a big success in America with quarry. These accomplishments are worth praising. I don’t think the other acts mentioned can exactly say the same. I don’t say that to diminish the other acts ( you do what you can ) but rather to point out that morrisseys accomplishments are of a rarer quality. Hell his bio sold more than most bands records and he does it on a large scale

I agree with most of what you say, but I think New Order are bigger than ever right now. They announced a gig at Heaton Park in Manchester and had to up the capacity from 5ok to 80K after the initial tickets sold out really quick and are playing a huge US tour with the Pet Shop Boys including 2 nights at the Hollywood Bowl and then they are back to the UK for a gig at the O2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom