morrissey frink thread!

smithsfanzinelive.jpg

Thank you so much for scanning all those clippings, sistasheila. I especially love the small picture in the top right (above the '1987 results' heading) in the image above. And I'm pleased to see that Morrissey was ranked higher as a sex object than a dickhead. ;)

And since this is the frink thread, here's a bit..
sepiamoz.jpg

Love this picture. I can't quite tell though...is that a ring on his finger or a small band-aid? It looks like a ring to me, but it seems a bit too close to the knuckle. :confused:

He's a good guy, despite what so many people say of him.

Exactly! It's quite disheartening to hear some of the negative things people say about Morrissey, because to me (and presumably most of us here) he seems like such an incredibly kind, warm-hearted person. It's sad that anything he says or does "wrong" tends to get blown out of proportion so much. God-like as he is in our eyes (or mine at least! :o), he's still human and therefore not perfect. But as far as I'm concerned, he's a lot closer to it than most of the people who attack and criticize him. :love:

It's photos like this one that necessitate a conscious reminder to breathe. :)

I have a nasty bout of sinusitis, so I'm lying on the sofa with a bottle of wine, reading about the dear man's schooldays. I feel so bad for him. It can't have been easy being an intelligent child in a school training you for industry. And all his old classmates commenting on how 'effeminate' and 'childlike' he was while all the other boys were pooping in the school piano and getting the cane for smoking.

His teachers, much like mine, were arseholes.

I do, however, love the image of him wearing foundation to school and carrying a handbag made of a pair of jeans. I wish there were photos of that.

31313_419607223427_354253683427_5402954_3009831_n.jpg

I have a nasty bout of sinusitis, so I'm lying on the sofa with a bottle of wine, reading about the dear man's schooldays. I feel so bad for him. It can't have been easy being an intelligent child in a school training you for industry. And all his old classmates commenting on how 'effeminate' and 'childlike' he was while all the other boys were pooping in the school piano and getting the cane for smoking.

I do, however, love the image of him wearing foundation to school and carrying a handbag made of a pair of jeans. I wish there were photos of that.

Foundation? What are you reading?

Johnny Rodent, but it was a quote from one of his classmates.

Ahh... I haven't read much of what he's had to say, so I missed the foundation part. He wore foundation to school?! Wow. That seems unlike him.

Ahh... I haven't read much of what he's had to say, so I missed the foundation part. He wore foundation to school?! Wow. That seems unlike him.

That does seem weird - all the foundation that was available in the 80's was bright orange anyway!

Just watched "I'm In a Rock N Roll Band' on the BBC - focusing on the 'Front Man' this week. There was only a small section on The Smiths which consisted of Johnny talking and a few short clips. I'm sure Morrissey wasn't even mentioned by name by either the program makers or by Johnny - but maybe it goes without saying?

Got a few screen shots - including the cheeky little eyebrow raise at the end...

Well, this chap said he always looked like he was wearing some kind of foundation. Perhaps powder? Or supernaturally good skin?

I used talc, myself. :D

I feel so bad for him. It can't have been easy being an intelligent child in a school training you for industry. And all his old classmates commenting on how 'effeminate' and 'childlike' he was while all the other boys were pooping in the school piano and getting the cane for smoking.

I echo the sentiment...every time I hear about Morrissey's school days and teen years, I can't help but feel a little sad. Even though I've read in several interviews that he wasn't victimized a great deal by his teachers (at least physically) thanks to his athletic abilities, I still get the impression that there was probably a fair amount of emotional bullying, at the very least from his classmates. :(

And good heavens, I would take 'effeminate' and 'childlike' over some obnoxious prat with nicotine breath who defecates in a piano any day! :squiffy:

Got a few screen shots - including the cheeky little eyebrow raise at the end...

Thanks for the screencaps! I'm in love with the second last image in particular. Perfect face, and I know it's been said a million times before, but he has such gorgeous eyes! :eek: The last one with the eyebrow raise is adorable too.

Well, this chap said he always looked like he was wearing some kind of foundation. Perhaps powder? Or supernaturally good skin?

I used talc, myself. :D

Be careful of talc! It's recently been shown to be carcinogenic.

That's one of the reasons I don't read Rogan's books. It just seems like a lot of speculation and nonsense was printed... A lot of people interviewed who had half-knowledge of Morrissey and his life.

He does have gorgeous skin. It makes me remember when I was in high school and people always accused me of wearing a wig. I didn't wear a wig; I just had excellent hair at the time. (It's not as nice as it used to be. Time is cruel.) I feel certain that if my classmates were interviewed for a book about me that at least one of them would say, "She wore a wig to school every day. Weird, eh?"

I echo the sentiment...every time I hear about Morrissey's school days and teen years, I can't help but feel a little sad. Even though I've read in several interviews that he wasn't victimized a great deal by his teachers (at least physically) thanks to his athletic abilities, I still get the impression that there was probably a fair amount of emotional bullying, at the very least from his classmates. :(

He has actually said that he was never bullied by classmates. I wish he'd elaborate on why school was so hard on him because when he has tried to explain it in the past it sounds a whole heck of a lot better than where I went to school. Well, elementary school. High school wasn't so horrible. I wish a journalist or two would ask him to go into more detail.

Exactly! It's quite disheartening to hear some of the negative things people say about Morrissey, because to me (and presumably most of us here) he seems like such an incredibly kind, warm-hearted person. It's sad that anything he says or does "wrong" tends to get blown out of proportion so much. God-like as he is in our eyes (or mine at least! :o), he's still human and therefore not perfect. But as far as I'm concerned, he's a lot closer to it than most of the people who attack and criticize him. :love:

Absolutely agree! :thumb:

He has actually said that he was never bullied by classmates. I wish he'd elaborate on why school was so hard on him

There's something about the language he uses to describe school and youth that sets off my alarm bells. It's purely visceral and not based in anything too solid, so don't leap on me, but I get this hard-to-shake feeling that someone or multiple someones were not treating him appropriately. It's just an uncomfortable feeling.

There's something about the language he uses to describe school and youth that sets off my alarm bells. It's purely visceral and not based in anything too solid, so don't leap on me, but I get this hard-to-shake feeling that someone or multiple someones were not treating him appropriately. It's just an uncomfortable feeling.

No, I agree with you. I get the same feeling. That's why I wish he'd explain it a bit more. The things he actually says don't add up to the feelings he seems to have about it... Which makes it seem even darker.

I wasn't leaping on you, my dear girl! :)

I wasn't leaping on you, my dear girl! :)

Oh no, I didn't mean that. Sorry. It's just a sensitive subject, so I was treading carefully. I mean, I listened to It's Not Your Birthday Anymore last night and had a moment of "where the hell did you get that from, Morrissey?" And when he said recently that some of the teachers' behaviour was openly homosexual (I can't remember the interview, sorry) I twitch. It's not a nice thought.

Oh no, I didn't mean that. Sorry. It's just a sensitive subject, so I was treading carefully. I mean, I listened to It's Not Your Birthday Anymore last night and had a moment of "where the hell did you get that from, Morrissey?" And when he said recently that some of the teachers' behaviour was openly homosexual (I can't remember the interview, sorry) I twitch. It's not a nice thought.

I think today Morrissey performs a gentle sort of dance where he simultaneously embraces and deflects the uncomfortable situations to which he's been subjected. Homosexual advances from a teacher is twitch-inducing, yet fodder for channeling a certain sort of pain in his work. SO he talks about it (in songs and interviews) yet doesn't want to talk about it because on the whole, he doesn't feel "safe." I can only imagine he'll never really go into detail in public about it.

I completely agree - that's really what I meant (and was trying to say in my own clumsy way).

I listened to It's Not Your Birthday Anymore last night and had a moment of "where the hell did you get that from, Morrissey?" And when he said recently that some of the teachers' behaviour was openly homosexual (I can't remember the interview, sorry) I twitch. It's not a nice thought.

It's certainly not, I know. :( But I got the same impression, and even in 'The Headmaster Ritual' (obviously the first song to spring to mind when thinking about Morrissey's school days), there's that uneasy bit at the end that (to me at least) seems to allude to abuse of a more sexual nature than the rest of the song had described ("kicks me in the showers / and he grabs and devours"). I'm really not sure what to make of that, but to me it's a bit unsettling. :squiffy:

I think today Morrissey performs a gentle sort of dance where he simultaneously embraces and deflects the uncomfortable situations to which he's been subjected. Homosexual advances from a teacher is twitch-inducing, yet fodder for channeling a certain sort of pain in his work. SO he talks about it (in songs and interviews) yet doesn't want to talk about it because on the whole, he doesn't feel "safe." I can only imagine he'll never really go into detail in public about it.

Definitely. I think that's it.

This thread has made me feel sad - thinking about Morrissey and his miserable school days.:(

Hopefully he's had the last 'laugh' though.

Are any of the 'biographies' actually worth reading, or are they the same old rumours from people who never actually really knew him, so they make stuff up?

Ah yes!! I saw this today on the fcbk group called : Morrisey In Quotes : and quick ran to the frink thread to see if someone posted it yet. He looks so very sleek here!! :)
If you have fcbk and have not joined that group, GO NOW! It's like a touch of frink everyday & the most awesome qoutes everyday. I wonder if a solo-member runs that group?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morrissey-In-Quotes/354253683427

Back
Top Bottom