Morrissey goes to the dentist

Mabel

Went to the emergency dentist in south Manchester last night at about 10 pm, wont say exactly which part of south Manchester, but I needed a tooth pulling out due to severe pain, and who should walk out of the consulting room just before I was going into it but Morrissey! I think he was with his personal assistant.

(a) nice anecdote

(b) he probably told the dentist that he wants his teeth to be MORE WHITE, LIKE ENGLAND USED TO BE, etc. etc

(c) I'll get my coat

Made me think of the dentist anecdote from Autobiography where he said he insisted "upon codeine mixed with heroin and gin in order to settle my nerves, but this simple request is denied." :lbf:

I am sorry to hear that about your tooth, Mabel. Hope it wasnt too painful and next time you will find an emergency dentist who can save teeth instead of just pulling them. Is this a common procedure in Manchester? Well, I know that you are pretty tough folks up there, and in times of covid doctors can't waste too much time on time-consuming treatments, I guess.
Anyways, maybe it was Morrissey's PA who needed moral support while lying on the dental treatment chair, and there is a chance that Morrissey is still capable of recording a few more songs in his portable home studio this year.

I am sorry to hear that about your tooth, Mabel. Hope it wasnt too painful and next time you will find an emergency dentist who can save teeth instead of just pulling them. Is this a common procedure in Manchester? Well, I know that you are pretty tough folks up there, and in times of covid doctors can't waste too much time on time-consuming treatments, I guess.
Anyways, maybe it was Morrissey's PA who needed moral support while lying on the dental treatment chair, and there is a chance that Morrissey is still capable of recording a few more songs in his portable home studio this year.
Well yes that's a thought, and it did cost me £335 for the privilege! Unfortunately it was completely broken and could not be saved. It was definitely Morrissey in the chair, Damon was sat waiting in the reception, only I didnt really take much notice of him before Morrissey came out due to my pain. Then Morrissey came out of the room and after he had paid they both had to walk past me as I was sat right near the door and they hung around for a minute to say their goodbyes to the receptionist and it suddenly dawned on me who it was as Morrissey was looking at me. Just after they had gone I looked at the receptionist and said "was that Morrissey?" And she said yes. It occurred to me whilst I was lying in the chair that Morrissey had just lay in it 5 minutes earlier...I presume they cleaned it! Mind you if I'm going to catch Covid from anybody it would be an interesting anecdote that I had caught it from Morrissey. Anyway the dentist said that Morrisey seemed like a very nice man, said he didnt know much about him - (he was quite young, maybe 30s the dentist), and that he didn't realise before about Morrissey's sexuality, referring to Damon as his partner, so I dont know what Morrissey had said to him about that, and I told the dentist how my daughter was friends with Johnny Marrs daughter Sonny as they went to school together in Manchester, but obviously the dentist couldnt say anything else due to client confidentiality and was very professional in limiting the conversation about Morrissey to that.

I hope you're feeling better now and the pain isn't too bad.
Thanks for sharing the story with us.

What I really would like to know (and I know there are others who are curious): How was his hair? Still magnificent mullet or did his hairdresser set it on fire? :cool:

Pretty much like this really - grey with a little combed, slightly oiled peak on top.

Attachments

• 20201212_130119.jpg
    20201212_130119.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
He had a dark wool overcoat on with a collar which might have been hiding some hair, but I didn't get an impression of any length at the back.

I assumed the mullet was a sign of depression rather than a style choice.

I assumed the mullet was a sign of depression rather than a style choice.
No, it was a look. He maintained it for months, it was definitely trimmed in between.

(a) nice anecdote

(b) he probably told the dentist that he wants his teeth to be MORE WHITE, LIKE ENGLAND USED TO BE, etc. etc

(c) I'll get my coat
I always thought that Morrisseys point was fear of the loss of English culture, and was not about race at all. I also hope people like my profile photo of Morrissey and Johnny Marr when they were best buddies in the 80s.

Last edited:
Hmm....well all I can say is I could not see the back due to the coat - hopefully some other photos might emerge of this visit to Manchester - am I right in thinking he still lives in America and so this would have been a visit?

Back
Top Bottom