Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
Morrissey - just another lame carping fascist who wishes his tongue was up Mussolini's fudge tunnel.

Retard, "White" Christian males founded the country . Not only are they not the threat, Christians don't go around shooting up places in the name of Jesus

Hmmm ...where shall we start your education? I know ...one small set of historic episodes: "The Inquisition". Guess that you didn't even pay attention to Monty Python ...or did you think that was all made up?

"Right-wing" = "Conservative" = lazy thinkers = ignorance

Hmmm ...where shall we start your education? I know ...one small set of historic episodes: "The Inquisition". Guess that you didn't even pay attention to Monty Python ...or did you think that was all made up?

"Right-wing" = "Conservative" = lazy thinkers = ignorance

Why are you bringing up the inquisition? I'm not a conservative. Get a name ,if you don't like Morrissey then move on

How do you feel being the dumbest person to ever post on this site? You've had some real competition but in the end they don't come close.
Yes, he's had some real competition. He doesn't come close because you, sir, are on top of the competition! You are King with a capital "K"! Take pride in that honor! :tiphat:

I'm with Uncleskinny on that. Morrissey, 'In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more.'

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

If 30 years has to change to 20 years due to my error it still doesn't weaken my argument. There have been dozens of deadly Islamic bombs and attacks in recent years in Britain - some with extremely high death tolls.

And in all the years since the tube and bus bombing in 2005 where 52 died there has not been one single white supremacist bombing.

You just can't bear to talk disparagingly about Muslims as they sit at the top of the liberal-left's victimhood list. Therefore they must never be criticized - just like blacks and gays. All their faults must be excused and blamed on whitey.

Don't tell me who I am. You know nothing about me. You're utterly wrong. Like normal. Back to ignore for you.

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”
The headline says it all and to answer it would be to pretend it's accurate. It's just more mindless attention grabbing to snare readers. People with their own agendas against Morrissey ,on this site, can try to argue its veracity. Not interested.

John Lennon did bad things in his private life. Those things are widely ignored by his fanbase. It would have been different, I think, if he had said in interviews etc that it's ok to beat your woman.
Phil Spector was mentally ill.
Weinstein was a producer - a money man, not really responsible for the works of art he enabled.
A lot of people find it hard to watch Spacey films now.
Jay Z dealing drugs...that's ok innit? Someone's gotta do it.
Clapton - well he's shit anyway, and his fans weren't atttacted to him for his views in the first place. Whereas Moz, people loved him because it was a new, brave voice on issues like gender & sexuality. As such, people expected an egalitarian, inclusive attitude to minorities.

The issues here are more complex than your post suggests. Lots of people have stopped listening to R Kelly. No one listens to Gary Glitter anymore. On the other hand, people read and appreciate HP Lovecraft, while abhorring his racist views.

Let us not over simplify. Or, if we must, how about "Love Morrissey Hate Racism"?

So are you saying you think it is okay to deal drugs?

Does not surprise me coming from someone who uses the word 'innit' which is not correct English, maybe you need to go back to school and do your GCSE's

That does not surprise me coming from someone who uses 'innit' ,which is not correct English! Maybe you should go back to school and take your GCSE's , especially in English?

That's pretty funny...I actually teach GCSE English for a living...I never knew grammar standards were so high on fan forums...!

That's pretty funny...I actually teach GCSE English for a living...I never knew grammar standards were so high on fan forums...!
That's worrying, someone that I presume teaches teenagers, thinks that it is okay to deal drugs!!!
I don't think I believe you, think you are making that up!

That's worrying, someone that I presume teaches teenagers, thinks that it is okay to deal drugs!!!
I don't think I believe you, think you are making that up!

It is true. I'm not sure why you disbelieve me. Lots of people enjoy taking drugs. If only the governments would stop prohibition, the harm drugs can cause would be greatly reduced, and the dealers who seem to appal you would be respectably re-named pharmacists or something. People take drugs, therefore people will deal them. Such is life

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom