Morrissey is asking GM to start using vegan leather interiors on their cars - Detroit Metro Times

Mike sends the link:

Morrissey is asking GM to start using vegan leather interiors on their cars - Detroit Metro Times

Excerpt:

In an open letter on behalf of PETA, Morrissey is asking that GM start making vegan leather options for their Chevy Bolt and Volt.

The letter is directly addressed to GM CEO Mary Barra and points out that GM is named in PETA's brand-new investigation of cattle ranches and all the crazy shit that happens to them. Moz points out that the Bolt and Volt are marketed as eco-friendly, and adding the vegan leather would only broaden their appeal.

...You can read the full letter below.

Mary T Barra
Chair and CEO
General Motors Company

21 November 2016

Dear Ms Barra,

As I head to Detroit to play the Royal Oak Music Theatre, I'm writing to ask GM to make Chevy's Volt and Bolt more eco-friendly by giving buyers the option to choose vegan leather interiors – including steering wheels and gear shifts. GM is named in PETA's brand-new investigation of cattle ranches, on which animals are branded on the face, electro-shocked, and beaten before they're slaughtered and used to make leather interiors for car companies, including yours.

More and more people are opting for vegan leather for the sake of both cows and the environment. A staggering 51 per cent of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture. Animal skins also have to be treated with a toxic soup of chemicals in order to keep them from decomposing, and runoff from leather tanneries poisons vital waterways.

Given that the Volt and Bolt are being marketed to eco-conscious buyers, entirely vegan options would only broaden their appeal. I look forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,

Morrissey

Mike sends the link:

Excerpt:

In an open letter on behalf of PETA, Morrissey is asking that GM start making vegan leather options for their Chevy Bolt and Volt.

The letter is directly addressed to GM CEO Mary Barra and points out that GM is named in PETA's brand-new investigation of cattle ranches and all the crazy shit that happens to them. Moz points out that the Bolt and Volt are marketed as eco-friendly, and adding the vegan leather would only broaden their appeal.

Mary T Barra
Chair and CEO
General Motors Company

21 November 2016

Dear Ms Barra,

As I head to Detroit to play the Royal Oak Music Theatre, I'm writing to ask GM to make Chevy's Volt and Bolt more eco-friendly by giving buyers the option to choose vegan leather interiors – including steering wheels and gear shifts. GM is named in PETA's brand-new investigation of cattle ranches, on which animals are branded on the face, electro-shocked, and beaten before they're slaughtered and used to make leather interiors for car companies, including yours.

More and more people are opting for vegan leather for the sake of both cows and the environment. A staggering 51 per cent of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture. Animal skins also have to be treated with a toxic soup of chemicals in order to keep them from decomposing, and runoff from leather tanneries poisons vital waterways.

Given that the Volt and Bolt are being marketed to eco-conscious buyers, entirely vegan options would only broaden their appeal. I look forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,

Morrissey

Morrissey Technical Rider - Summer 2016
Discussion in 'Tour' started by davidt, Aug 27, 2016.

By davidt on Aug 27, 2016 at 11:21 PM

1. Images from an anonymous person (UPDATE Aug. 28 - these images are excerpts from the technical rider, not the full rider):

39049_IMG_9184.jpg

Oh Steven ! Your own tour isn't vegan :rolleyes: this gimmick is old but it goes on.
    What next ? A letter to the five star Pestana group requesting them to rip out their luxurious leather interiors ! That reminds me have you done this years glossy magazine interview for them yet ? :tiphat:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Oh god just shut the hell up already. Telling people how to run their business and run their lives is none of your business Morrissey. How about this I'm gonna tell you to how to run you're life and what to do instead because since you like to toss your views and ethics on people I'll put mines on your. So instead worrying about that shit you should worry about making actual good music again because you haven't done that in years now. Now get your seaweed eating punk ass in the studio and make a proper album. Also if you wanna help animals then donate all your millions of dollars that you have and build them a refugee camp or something. Also stop playing meat is murder at your shows just like in your album no one wants to listen to it, as soon as that track comes on you know what people do they hit the skip button even the vegetarians and vegans don't wanna listen to it. That's why when that song comes up more then half the people in the crowd at your shows head to the bar or bathroom because they're not missing anything. Also you got money buy some fashion tips because you look like an out of work paint artist from the 60s and 70s your starting to look like that singer from the movie love actually. Also get some new writing partners because the ones you have now suck, get some that know how to make catchy tunes. Call Stephen Street or something. Also at your shows don't play any music from after ringleader of the tormentors becaue it pretty much sux awww screw that don't play anything from after maladjusted and then on much better. Now do all of that

Good God. Those poor animals. I hope she will really take his words to heart, reconsider, and choose an alternative.

One of Paul McCartney's daughters did the same with airline seats. Can't remember if it was Heather, Mary, or Stella.

I really can't understand the mind of anyone working in a slaughterhouse. It's pure evil.

Last edited:
"And on cold pleather seats, it suddenly struck me..."

A surprisingly measured, calm, non-biting letter from Morrissey. Good on the fella for reining himself in.

Last edited:
Great letter. Makes sense that a car being marketed as eco friendly, would use non leather. At least offering the option would make sense. That's how you have to appeal to business types. Tell them that it will increase sales. Climb the ladder one rung at a time folks.

"Animal skins also have to be treated with a toxic soup of chemicals in order to keep them from decomposing, and runoff from leather tanneries poisons vital waterways."

So, so true. A tannery installed in a town near my city poisoned a river and killed a lot of people.

Nice effort. At the least it'll draw attention which is good. It'll come down to cost and appeal though

I reckon like a true-American living the "American dream" in LA, he would send a letter to a classic American company like General Motors. Why doesn't he send a letter to the Nazi car makers like Mercedes and BMW. I reckon I would like to know if Morrissey's Black Mercedes C class that he gets driven around in has pleather seats? I reckon how about sending a letter to Jaguar and Rolls Royce too?

I reckon doing a Morrissey and Marr Productions ltd. proper top mental "secret" acoustic corporate show at General Motors might help. I reckon that would mean adding Detroit to the tour list. I don't think General Motors has a factory in LA or Portland.

I reckon what does "good on" mean?

Last edited:
'vegan leather'? Uncleskinny can there be such a thing ?

Anyways, good on M, makes sense and as always fighting the good fight. :thumb:

Interesting angle and sensibility from Moz. I like it. Doubt it will do much to make GM reconsider. It will take a small army of people protesting to make it work but I'm sure most will be too lazy and just buy non-leather interiors from other car makers.

Note that he didn't mention which date he's playing Detroit.

Good luck with that. All that's happened is that his name is in the news again, which will please him.

I won't repeat what I think of PETA and their stance on leather, but succinctly - they are talking out of their arse and their page(s) on leather are so inaccurate and full of scientific un-facts, it's laughable. Personally I have no problem wearing leather shoes. If you're going to kill an animal to eat it you may as well do it the courtesy as using as much of it as possible.

This is how it goes.

"Where are we deffo playing next?"
"Detroit, Moz"
"How are ticket sales?"
"Not the best, Moz"
"What do they do in Detroit?"
"Make cars, Moz"
"That means they use leather. Listen, I've got a great idea..."

Mike sends the link:

Excerpt:

Mary T Barra
Chair and CEO
General Motors Company

21 November 2016

Dear Ms Barra,

Yours sincerely,

Morrissey

Great letter!
Respectful and just asking to think about options for clients!
This is a completely different tone and anyone with any interest in the issue can understand.
And companies like GM are sensitive about their image and have a lot of technical know-how to make that interiors without using leather.
Good job Moz!

I reckon like a true-American living the "American dream" in LA, he would send a letter to a classic American company like General Motors. Why doesn't he send a letter to the Nazi car makers like Mercedes and BMW. I reckon I would like to know if Morrissey's Black Mercedes C class that he gets driven around in has pleather seats? I reckon how about sending a letter to Jaguar and Rolls Royce too?

I reckon doing a Morrissey and Marr Productions ltd. proper top mental "secret" acoustic corporate show at General Motors might help. I reckon that would mean adding Detroit to the tour list. I don't think General Motors has a factory in LA or Portland.

I reckon what does "good on" mean?
i was dryly skimming through your post thinking "blah, blah, blah, same shit as always", as one does with your posts, being quite inured to them by now. it was at your fifth use of the word "reckon" that i exploded into a paroxysm of giggles. does it to me every time.

Good luck with that. All that's happened is that his name is in the news again, which will please him.

I won't repeat what I think of PETA and their stance on leather, but succinctly - they are talking out of their arse and their page(s) on leather are so inaccurate and full of scientific un-facts, it's laughable. Personally I have no problem wearing leather shoes. If you're going to kill an animal to eat it you may as well do it the courtesy as using as much of it as possible.
but i have a question: is it the leather from cows killed for meat that is being used? or are they two wholly different industries wherein you have cows killed for leather and cows killed for meat? no one has ever given me a clear answer on that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom