Morrissey letter to (presumably) Alan Bennett

thought I’d show this wonderful piece of history off...

U.K. Vauxhall & I LP with 2 posters, one with a handwritten letter on the back from Morrissey, to “Alan”, presumably Alan Bennett, Morrisseys ex neighbour, friend and playwright, hence the references to ‘A Visit From Miss Prothero’ & ‘Intensive Care’, which were plays written by Alan, and adapted for television by the BBC in 1978 & 1982, respectively). Morrissey also makes mention of his album (Vauxhall) being the current U.K. #1 album, which acts a decent time stamp for when the letter was written, likely between 26th March ‘ - April 2nd, 1994.

(Poster measures 30 inches x 20 inches, making it one of the largest pieces of handwritten Morrissey text I’ve ever seen)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Had I known who he was at the time it would have been a fantastic auto to have on a moz record cover. It is like I can now see how Alan probably thought it funny me having no idea who he was but maybe that made him relaxed as well.
Very weird the whole thing.
If not for Solo I would never have known that it was Alan. He has been discussed before and I have mentioned me meeting him before and I am ok with those who don't believe me.
It wasn't a big thing to me or anything but it is weird that I did not know about him since I consider myself as someone who knows a lot about Moz and the people he is into and so on.
Alan's whole persona from his looks and his voice is something you would remember if you met him. What was strange was that despite him talking about Morrissey I honestly could not tell if the man was serious or not. His way of leaving some things out had me wondering if he was confusing Morrissey with someone else but it became clear he wasn't.
So only thanks to Solo and the fact I read some article here about the man and then immediately watched a video to hear his voice made me realise who it was I met that day. Those days in Manchester were magical and I experienced so many weird and funny things and was even shown on Granada TV just minutes before the CL final in Barcelona which on the night made me famous so that was my 15 minutes.
I am trying hard to remember when I went to the Grey Horse Inn the second time cause it was cold and my guess is that it was in 2000 or maybe even a few months later in 1999 cause I went back there for a week in the autumn and early winter.
During that stay in May 1999 I went to the Star and Garter immediately after I had landed for a very special Smiths and Moz night and after that United completed the treble in the following days and all my dreams came true.
Of course I left Arlanda airport at Gate 68 with the numbers in the same blue as United wore when they won the European Cup the first time in 1968 when I was a month away from being born. I sat there smiling thinking to myself it was a good omen and it sure was.
The whole summer I spent just trying to get my head around it. The fact I had met Alan came as quite a shock to me when I realised it many years later thanks to Solo.
Cannot believe it's been 20 years since that magical year.

From vintage English gay men this time - they're talking about an affair between Morrissey & (I think) Joyce. Are they joking or is this a rumour that's been going about? (I'm just curious & I don't want to ask them).

Last edited by a moderator:
From vintage English gay men this time - they're talking about an affair between Morrissey & (I think) Joyce. Are they joking or is this a rumour that been going about? (I'm just curious & I don't want to ask them).
It depends who you ask. Uncleskinny says it's rock solid fact. Other opinions are available.

I call FAKE.

1) The handwriting is not convincing.
2) Bennett is a notorious hoarder and would never ever dispose of correspondence.
Y 3 = vos sos un amargo de la vida !! Cerra la boca ,que la historia es interesante ,peleando de nuevo el muy troll!!!

16 GB RAM?

Think of the vitriol you can spew online, with THAT!

Another great reason to curl up, all cozy in Melvis’ wet, warm anus and punt low, from the darkness.

Bring a snorkel, so you can breathe as all the watery vegan sludge shoots past you the other way. ;)
Estas tan afectado y obsesivo que hasta te inspiras para hacer una descripcion casi poetica del ano de Moz !!! Pobre ,lastima das!!!!

Estas tan afectado y obsesivo que hasta te inspiras para hacer una descripcion casi poetica del ano de Moz !!! Pobre ,lastima das!!!!

Tu madre es una casa y tu hermana es la mejor de todas las prostitutas del pueblo. Un día conocerás al loco sueco.

Tu madre es una casa y tu hermana es la mejor de todas las prostitutas del pueblo. Un día conocerás al loco sueco.
Mira no te metas con mi familia que tienen q ver ellos aca???, estas tan perturbado y delirante !!! Debes haber tenido una infancia terrible!!!! sueco, este sitio es dedicado al super Moz,el es el unico que llama la Atencion,a vos no te conoce nadie, tenes menos gracia que una baldosa !!!!! Fuera a la cuchaaa!!! VIVA MOSUCHISSS !!!!!

Mira no te metas con mi familia que tienen q ver ellos aca???, estas tan perturbado y delirante !!! Debes haber tenido una infancia terrible!!!! sueco, este sitio es dedicado al super Moz,el es el unico que llama la Atencion,a vos no te conoce nadie, tenes menos gracia que una baldosa !!!!! Fuera a la cuchaaa!!! VIVA MOSUCHISSS !!!!!

Alerta!!:eyes: ese es mil mascaras:japaneseogre: Skinny-0.:crossedflags:

Tu hermana es una bicicleta en la que todos andan. Comes comida de los botes de basura como ratas. Los suecos se ríen de su miseria con satisfacción y satisfacción

inclined to think so? It’s a stone wall certainty, as good as it gets. Anyone who thinks it ain’t real, shouldn’t really be having an opinion on it, cos they clearly don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s absurd to me to even respond to a trolling “Fake” claim, when it’s so clearly a superb genuine item. Oh well, there’s always one or two party poopers.

Quite so. Care to elaborate on the provenance of this treasure?
í can't even begin to imagine.
A lucky find in a Camden Bring 'n' Buy?

Quite so. Care to elaborate on the provenance of this treasure?
í can't even begin to imagine.
A lucky find in a Camden Bring 'n' Buy?

all’s I know is the info I’ve given, addressee (Alan bennet) and date it was written. It came from Scott Blixen’s Collection, who’s a musician in his own right, though probably not known to many on here.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_4_(band)

I’ll ask him if I can share his secrets and post any info as I get it.

tis a good counterfit.

do you mind not talking shit. Comments like that remain in this internet era, there’s no getting rid of them. Some idiot(s) in the future might see your comment and take it serious. Outing fakes, I’m all for that, questioning dubious items, I’m all for that. But don’t throw mud on a genuine item with no reason or rationale, it just makes you sound sour, or at best clueless.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom