Morrissey Central "MORRISSEY LOVES ‘SHOPLIFTERS OF THE WORLD’ FILM" (March 29, 2021)

The Man from Morrissey...he say Yes! (y)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morrissey-loves

"I laughed, I cried, I ate my own head.

The Smiths' past still sounds like today's frustrations and tomorrow's liberations."

~ Morrissey, March 2021.

image_xu7tzm.png

Related item:

He Cried.

Boy, that film must really be...something...

When was the last time he cried? I'm guessing nursery school, when he was a tender gummy bear, not yet a fully-formed narcissist...:tears:

‘SHOPLIFTERS OF THE WORLD UNITE’ FILM DOESN’T LOVE MORRISSEY

That line about heroes betraying the past, delivered by DJ Full Metal Mickey (Manganiello) to die hard Moz head Dean, was Kijak’s way of addressing the planet-sized elephant in the room anytime Morrissey is in the conversation.

“Yeah, that's that's a direct address,” said Kijak, a longtime fan of The Smiths since his teenage years in the 80s, in an interview. “And, I got to say, because the film took so long to make, things seemed to get even worse [with Morrissey] well after we had locked it, so you’re like, god, was that enough? I think the film is aware of it, and I put a lot of things in the film, like clues.”

“It's really tricky to kind of disentangle what that means to feel so connected to someone, and identify with someone so much and then kind of realize that maybe there's this other part of them that you don't identify with and really don't want to be identified with,” said Coltrane, who wasn’t a fan of The Smiths growing up but grew connected to them after a painful breakup. “But at the same time, you know, not wanting to reject the part of yourself that was validated by that person’s art.”

“We want to stand against what has maybe come to be seen as anti-immigrant or any hateful rhetoric,” he explained. “It's just so disappointing, too, because that’s our nostalgia you're messing with, man. You want to hang on to it because it meant so much to you at one time. So yeah, it's a really difficult question to wrestle with. We’re painfully, painfully aware of it, and the problem of it, but we wanted this to be a celebration of something that was bigger than that, that had to do with our youth, and ourselves and our culture as kids back then.”

“Like look at the cast. I wanted it to be a diverse group of kids who represented all different aspects of that fandom at the time,” he said. “It wasn’t a token decision. I mean, my best friend was like the only Black girl in her school who was a total new waver punk, and she felt othered in so many ways. These were her bands, this was her style, and she doesn't see herself represented in stuff like that.”

Full article: https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5b...smiths-but-cant-erase-the-morrissey-of-it-all

See also: https://www.vice.com/en/article/pg9xqy/morrissey-were-through

That line about heroes betraying the past, delivered by DJ Full Metal Mickey (Manganiello) to die hard Moz head Dean, was Kijak’s way of addressing the planet-sized elephant in the room anytime Morrissey is in the conversation.

“Yeah, that's that's a direct address,” said Kijak, a longtime fan of The Smiths since his teenage years in the 80s, in an interview. “And, I got to say, because the film took so long to make, things seemed to get even worse [with Morrissey] well after we had locked it, so you’re like, god, was that enough? I think the film is aware of it, and I put a lot of things in the film, like clues.”

“It's really tricky to kind of disentangle what that means to feel so connected to someone, and identify with someone so much and then kind of realize that maybe there's this other part of them that you don't identify with and really don't want to be identified with,” said Coltrane, who wasn’t a fan of The Smiths growing up but grew connected to them after a painful breakup. “But at the same time, you know, not wanting to reject the part of yourself that was validated by that person’s art.”

“We want to stand against what has maybe come to be seen as anti-immigrant or any hateful rhetoric,” he explained. “It's just so disappointing, too, because that’s our nostalgia you're messing with, man. You want to hang on to it because it meant so much to you at one time. So yeah, it's a really difficult question to wrestle with. We’re painfully, painfully aware of it, and the problem of it, but we wanted this to be a celebration of something that was bigger than that, that had to do with our youth, and ourselves and our culture as kids back then.”

“Like look at the cast. I wanted it to be a diverse group of kids who represented all different aspects of that fandom at the time,” he said. “It wasn’t a token decision. I mean, my best friend was like the only Black girl in her school who was a total new waver punk, and she felt othered in so many ways. These were her bands, this was her style, and she doesn't see herself represented in stuff like that.”

Full article: https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5b...smiths-but-cant-erase-the-morrissey-of-it-all

Yeah, it's been posted.

And it's not the elephant in the room - it's the witch burning in the public square.

Caused by shoddy/malevolent journalism & I'm pretty sure it'll be over soon.

I can't quite remember, but you might be one of the posters who agrees with the distortion? 🧐

Someone should ask this director why he didn't tell the true story.
The kid (James French?) went to the station and then instead of goin'
inside, he realized he had problems and asked for help.
With all the shootin' sprees goin' on these days, it woulda been the
story that needs to be told.
Instead they tried to Hollywoodize the story and ended up with a mess.

Yeah, it's been posted.

And it's not the elephant in the room - it's the witch burning in the public square.

Caused by shoddy/malevolent journalism & I'm pretty sure it'll be over soon.

I can't quite remember, but you might be one of the posters who agrees with the distortion? 🧐

Of course not. Why hasn’t it become its own news item? The film maker of a film Morrissey praised threw him under the bus.

Of course not. Why hasn’t it become its own news item? The film maker of a film Morrissey praised threw him under the bus.

They'd either have to feel sorry for Morrissey & he's still too much in reputational limbo for that or they'd have to laugh at him & I think it's beginning to dawn on some people that they've been cruel.

Someone might pick it up, but I can't imagine it being much of a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow! This is a really important post. Do you think you could tell Morrissey what is going on? Someone should inform Morrissey about all this.

They'd either have to feel sorry for Morrissey & he's still too much in reputational limbo for that or they'd have to laugh at him & I think it's beginning to dawn on some people that they've been cruel.

Someone might pick it up, but I can't imagine it being much of a thin

Someone might pick it up, but I can't imagine it being much of a thing.

The reputation problem needs to be fixed asap. It isn't just gonna go away.

Another NME article that doesn't say Morrissey is evil. I half dare to hope it's a positive sign. (Bloody public school boy Mark Kermode. :swear )

The things I've seen today, Karen. :paranoid:

It's a real Let the Loonies Loose type of friday...

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom