Morrissey not dropped by Harvest; album pulled from all services at Morrissey's request - Billboard

An anonymous person posts the link:

Morrissey Probably Won't Be Taking His Option for a Second Record with Harvest
- Billboard

Excerpt:

According to a source familiar with the situation, "Morrissey has not been dropped by [Harvest Records, a subsidiary of Capitol Music Group, itself a subsidiary of Universal Music Group] but out of deference to his request they have reluctantly removed his album from all services."

It's believed that Morrissey signed a licensing deal with Harvest for one album (World Peace Is None of Your Business), with an option for a second. But, according to press reports, Morrissey grew unhappy with the label when it didn't make a music video for album track "Istanbul." Morrissey, who seems to have made a habit of going to war with whatever label he is signed to, started publicly fighting with the Harvest 2-3 weeks after the album was released in the U.S. on July 15.

Since its release the album has sold 25,000 units -- 15,000 CDs, 3,000 LPs and 8,000 digital downloads, according to Nielsen SoundScan. With those kind of sales numbers for the physical formats, Billboard speculates that Harvest probably built about 50,000 physical units for the U.S. market. That means there is still plenty of World Peace stock left for Morrissey fans to track down, if they're so inclined. And if Morrissey demands that Harvest get those CD and vinyl albums back, good luck to the combative artist if he thinks store merchants will fully comply with such a request from Harvest.

Related media:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Morrissey not dropped by Harvest; album pulled from all services at Morrissey's request - Billbo

While quality of music might have once been a reliable barometer of success, it certainly isn't anymore. If it were, then we wouldn't see the likes of Justin Bieber, One Direction, and Now That's What I Call Music compilations in Top 10 charts in major markets and vapid, flavor-of-the-month pop idols wouldn't be so commercially successful. Obviously, if an artist's music is good, people will be compelled to support it, but album sales are driven primarily by promotion and demand from a very particular demographic.

Morrissey and his band could have recorded the album of the century and it wouldn't have mattered, because the album's release flew largely under the radar and he isn't--and never was--an artist who appealed to mainstream tastes. It's true he's selling fewer albums than he used to, but then, so are many other artists. It's not unusual given the shift in industry dynamics.

This. I recently got some stick here for criticizing Morrissey's often...unorthodox behavior and decisions, and for my supposed inability to deal with the way Morrissey is, but that's simply not the case.

My issue is not that Morrissey is obstreperous and doesn't "play by the rules," but rather the fact that when things inevitably don't go his way as a result, he plays the victim, penning a few "woe is me" missives over problems of his own design. It's a pattern of behavior that at this point seems utterly childish. Morrissey wants to do things his way, on his own terms, brilliant---more power to him. He wouldn't be Morrissey otherwise, and it's one of his qualities as an artist that initially appealed to me. But it floors me that after so many years in the business, he apparently still can't grasp that being an outsider who refuses to conform to the status quo comes with a price. His apparent unwillingness to accept the consequences of some of his decisions is childish, and if he were anyone other than Morrissey I doubt some of the people here would be making excuses for him.

You remind me of somebody who used to post here: erudite, articulate, unfalteringly well-reasoned, and infuriatingly reasonable. Polite too. In other words, an invaluable asset to a site like this.

Re: Morrissey not dropped by Harvest; album pulled from all services at Morrissey's request - Billbo

It's not even provocative, it's just stupid.

...the perfect summation of this song. Nothing else need ever be said.

What does it matter whether he's easy or difficult to deal with? If you desire a Morrissey that's easy to deal with then you clearly don't know his modus operandi very well at all. Who the f*** wants an easy to deal with artist? He's not a f***ing plumber.

I was just thinking he's got f*** all chance of the massive deal he so clearly pines for or believes he's actually worth.
He wants to sell Elvis amounts of albums whilst remaining as cult like as The Fall.
I admire his pigheadedness and old fashioned ideals but his current stance is delusional at best.
Plumbers keep the shit flowing, they'd be hard pushed in here....no pun intended!

Embarrassing is the word I'd use.

I agree. I think that's always been the issue. his lack of business acumen and the fact that he seems to be unable to interact or convey to his management team what his expectations are! He said himself in an interview with Zane Lowe that he is difficult to manage.

Justin Bieber produces great pop music in the same way the girl groups of the '60s that Morrissey clearly idolises did.
That's why he's sold so many records.
Sure we can all feel resentful of his youth and his good looks and his fame and his money, but we don't have to lower ourselves to elitist snobbery.
That whole "We like rarifies 'real' music and the 'masses' like Justin Bieber" schtick is so tiresome.

Justin Bieber produces great pop music in the same way the girl groups of the '60s that Morrissey clearly idolises did.
Sure we can all feel resentful of his youth and his good looks and his fame and his money, but we don't have to lower ourselves to elitist snobbery.
That whole "We like rarifies 'real' music and the 'masses' like Justin Bieber" schtick is so tiresome.

Please don't ever compare the music of the 60s with that arsehole. His "music" is absolutely shit.

I like good pop music but I'm not feeling the Beiber love. He's more Little Johnny Osmond than any girl group of the 60's.

...the perfect summation of this song. Nothing else need ever be said.

i must say something...

perfect lyrics!

somebody ought to consider the subject and i was delighted it was morrissey.

althougt his try looks illiterate to many, there are few who appreciate.

p.s. apologies to those

Is it too much to expect music videos, billboards/posters, adverts,merchandise Morrissey expects this as standard any artist does.
The rest lies at PR/Morrissey to do the leg work, If you`re gonna sell a critical album, concert tour, TV/radio live sets, record store signings, magazine interviews and competitions, and the whole tinternet social media buzz.
EMI and Sanctuary have been able to promote Moz when he`s up for it, there`s got be a label that can pick up the baton, and just run with it.
Moz videos cant be that expensive to make...Moz walks up street does intense face. Moz walks up stairs does distant face. Moz Mexicans playfight on street, Moz avoids situation, smirks gets in Jag drives away. viola....... Goodbye Harvest...bring back Attack label....

Is it too much to expect music videos, billboards/posters, adverts,merchandise Morrissey expects this as standard any artist does.
The rest lies at PR/Morrissey to do the leg work, If you`re gonna sell a critical album, concert tour, TV/radio live sets, record store signings, magazine interviews and competitions, and the whole tinternet social media buzz.
EMI and Sanctuary have been able to promote Moz when he`s up for it, there`s got be a label that can pick up the baton, and just run with it.
Moz videos cant be that expensive to make...Moz walks up street does intense face. Moz walks up stairs does distant face. Moz Mexicans playfight on street, Moz avoids situation, smirks gets in Jag drives away. viola....... Goodbye Harvest...bring back Attack label....

I have to consider that Morrissey turned down Richard Blade's offer to promote the album on a national radio show in addition to Harvest choosing not to promote the album in ways Morrissey is saying he wanted. Chances are Harvest is just as unhappy with Morrissey as he is with them.

for a guy who doesnt have any business sense he came away from harvest i think financially ok i believe. hes also worth a lot of money for his status of fame and non licensing tendencies unlike a super famous person like willie nelson whos very respected, a hippies hippie and a rednecks redneck, who has been broke a few times over. success is the measure of competency and morrisseys succeed in a lot of his goals and has survived in the biz longer than many many people. i think labels are more worried since they know morrissey wont sign a deal with high risk of screwing himself.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing they'll cost the best part of £100,000 each so that would be quite a risk for a record company.

Gotta disagree with that guess. The video for All You Need is Me looked like it cost tens of dollars...

What are the chances that everyone who frequents this site would be business managers? Morrissey is blessed to have so many people who know better than he does about his career choices.

For your sake I hope you are a 10 year old girl.

Oh, it's you again. Hello. I find it cute that like many others here, you praise the posts you agree with. Long may it continue.

P.

And like you don't do the exact same thing? Why would anyone praise something they disagree with?

Gotta disagree with that guess. The video for All You Need is Me looked like it cost tens of dollars...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

This is an odd one. Morrissey today has thrown aside his one time air of mystery and nowadays seems desperate to let us know his every dopey thought on a range of issues of which he knows little. He is a damn sight closer now to types of celeb he has berated his entire career than he has ever been. He made the classic mistake of thinking because he wrote some great songs and surrounded himself with people telling he was a genius then he was. Public figures have been doing that since the year dot.

I've heard the album so I know he doesn't give a shit.

He's a manic depressive. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. I doubt he's laughed since Utoya.

Corn if I told you the sky was blue you'd debate me on it. I have to say even if we didn't piss on each other if we were on fire at least you reply considerately and put some thought into it, even if I disagree with everything you say it's always appreciated.

I truly can't keep up with all that's going on in Morrissey world lately. My head is spinning.

That said, I agree with those that say until Harvest makes an official statement, I'm taking Morrissey's word for it.

I would too !

The thing is that when Morrissey sang "my life is opera, opera, opera...." on the amazing Art-Hounds
- which thankfully made it onto WPINOYB - its totally true. Dealing with these money grabbing
corporations must be a thankless task.

But you can just imagine the "oh shit" in Capitol Towers when HARVEST
finally realised that there useless efforts were found out.

Morrissey is not difficult to deal with.
He just needs to be surrounded by quality people who know what they are doing, at every level.
And I dont think that - with the exception of Merc and Sanctuary - he has ever had that from 1982 onwards.
Even in the early days, Howard Jones, The Cocteau Twins (4ad) and Madness had more promotion and posters and records
in the shops. And Cliff Richard too. And Clannad. And Eurythmics. And Human League. And ABC.
And JAMES. And the only label worse than Rough Trade or Harvest was Factory. Sad but true x.

I would too !

The thing is that when Morrissey sang "my life is opera, opera, opera...." on the amazing Art-Hounds
- which thankfully made it onto WPINOYB - its totally true. Dealing with these money grabbing
corporations must be a thankless task.

But you can just imagine the "oh shit" in Capitol Towers when HARVEST
finally realised that there useless efforts were found out.

Morrissey is not difficult to deal with.
He just needs to be surrounded by quality people who know what they are doing, at every level.
And I dont think that - with the exception of Merc and Sanctuary - he has ever had that from 1982 onwards.
Even in the early days, Howard Jones, The Cocteau Twins (4ad) and Madness had more promotion and posters and records
in the shops. And Cliff Richard too. And Clannad. And Eurythmics. And Human League. And ABC.
And JAMES. And the only label worse than Rough Trade or Harvest was Factory. Sad but true x.

You mean the same Merc who lost a bunch of paperwork?

World Peace Is None of Your Business may very well be Morrissey's best album since Vauxhall and I. It also, however, looks like its going to be the worst selling album of his career. I can't help, but suspect that may be part of the motivation of pulling the album. If it's no longer available for sale we can never really know how much it would have sold.

It's really a damn shame since it was a good album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom