Morrissey - NY Review on NME Website

Sheridan Whiteside

Sweet and Tender Hooligan
http://http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/32113

Over-excited fans end Morrissey performance in New York

Fans storm the stage during ex-Smiths' frontman's show at Hammerstein
36 minutes ago
Adoring fans stormed the stage during the final song of Morrissey's show at Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City last night (October 26), showering the singer with gifts.

The show was the fourth of a five-night residency at the 5,000 capacity venue, which saw Mozzer play four new tracks - 'All You Need Is Me', 'That's How People Get What They Want', 'One Day Goodbye Will be Farewell', and 'Throw Your Arms Around Paris'.

Fans travelled from all over the world for the show, and last night an audience member yelled they'd come from Doncaster, to which Morrissey joked 'You were here anyway, weren't you? It was raining outside and you thought 'What the hell I'll see what the old fool's doing!'".

"I have poetic license to change the words, grunt, stay at home, forget the words, go to an ice-hockey match, I can do anything," the former Smiths frontman said before launching into new song 'Throw Your Arms Around Paris'.

Typically flamboyant throughout, he adopted a genuflecting-style pose during 'Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' and later on rather bizarrely, lay upside down against a monitor and made a cycling motion with his legs.

The backing band wereRobert Palmer-style in their uniformity, sporting identical short haircuts, pink shirts, blue jeans and black shoes.

In front of a giant backdrop bearing a picture of Frank Sinatra, Morrissey paid tribute to the historical New York venue saying "Below this stage are vaults. And buried there are Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, Johnny Thunders, Klaus Nomi, Nico...all our musical loves" and made reference to America's politics when he changed the lyrics of 'Irish Blood, English Heart' from "Labour and Tories" to "Republicans", prompting an enormous cheer from the crowd.

Before leaving the stage, he removed his sweat-soaked navy shirt and threw it into the crowd.

He played:

'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before'
'Buddy Bill'
'All You Need Is Me'
'Irish Blood English Heart'
'Shoplifters Of The World Unite'
'Gandlords'
'That's How People Grow Up'
'Tomorrow'
'I Just Want TO See The Boy Happy'
'Death Of A Disco Dancer'
'The Loop'
'Jack The Ripper'
'The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores'
'Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want'
'Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself'
'Sister I'm A Poet'
'One Day Goodbye Will be Farewell'
'Throw Your Arms Around Paris'
'Stretch Out And Wait'
'Life Is A Pigsty'
'How Soon Is Now'
'First Of The Gang To Die'

My first morrissey show and one of the best ever.

everything about it was perfect.

brilliant performance!

oh btw, the giant picture(s) thru-out the show in the backdrop, was of richard burton, not sinatra.

"That's how people get what they want"? They got it right in the set-list but not in the review.
Buddy Bill is pretty funny. Written by Mudville.

Back
Top Bottom