Morrissey reported as 'paying for meat'

Tingle3

In today's Metro (free newspaper, UK) there is a report that Morrissey paid a butcher in Truro £200 for his stall's stock of meat to make the Market Hall venue "carcass-free" On Page 11 the header is 'Meaty deal'.

Believe nothing you read in the newspapers.

Bizarro!

thats true!
he bought all the meat in truro as i was in truro that day
and gave it all to the homeless!
its very true

He did, the doorman at the truro theatre told me at the gig on tuesday. I was asking him whether he gets to meet morrissey, seeing as he works at the venue. He looked all stony faced and said "NOBODY gets to meet morrissey".!!

Then he informed me that Moz requested one of his crew to buy all the meat from the farmers market, which was held in the same venue that morning, and then to throw it all in the skip outside. It is true, the guy who told me wasn't joking or anything.

Hi Guys

I think that the story was that Mr M's manager was instructed to buy the meat, and rather than it be put in a skip it was given to local homeless charities.

AC

Thanks for explaining that there was a Farmers' Market earlier in the day at the venue Sunday Girl. I was trying to work out how there would be a stall in the concert venue selling meat . I wonder what the going rate is for a farmer these days? :)

This story is also in The Independant today, under the headline 'Morrisseys meat stand'. Quite a good picture too.

Not a vegetarian myself but an impressive gesture from Mozz nonetheless in my view.

masterrhodes said:
what is a skip?

"Skip" is British English for American English "dumpster".

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but surely by buying a metric assload of meat (then having it destroyed, or given to homeless people, or whatever - makes no difference), Morrissey actually increased the number of animals being slaughtered?

The meat vendors, having had all their meat taken away, would now order an equal amount to replace that which was missing - an extra amount that would not have been ordered otherwise.

Right?

:mad:
spectral hand said:
"Skip" is British English for American English "dumpster".

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but surely by buying a metric assload of meat (then having it destroyed, or given to homeless people, or whatever - makes no difference), Morrissey actually increased the number of animals being slaughtered?

The meat vendors, having had all their meat taken away, would now order an equal amount to replace that which was missing - an extra amount that would not have been ordered otherwise.

Right?

Your theory makes sense to me! Probably just trying to prove a point but not thought through very well.

Regardless, the cows, chickens, turkeys or whatever, were already dead when he bought it. The miniscule number of people choosing to be vegans won't change the greater meat market practices.

Not a vegetarian myself but an impressive gesture from Mozz nonetheless in my view.

Er - why? IF the story is true, surely he's supporting the farmers by paying them for killing animals, which would be bizarre behavour for any vegetarian. It'd be like walking into McDonalds and buying all their stock - how's that going to harm them?

Hmm - sounds like something his manager did rather than Morrissey directly then, which sounds a lot more likely. I know Morrissey has used incense on stage if there are meat outlets near the venue, but I can't imagine him being so hyporitical as to pay butchers for meat.

Tingle3 said:
In today's Metro (free newspaper, UK) there is a report that Morrissey paid a butcher in Truro £200 for his stall's stock of meat to make the Market Hall venue "carcass-free" On Page 11 the header is 'Meaty deal'.

Believe nothing you read in the newspapers.

Bizarro!

I`ve just looked at the Metro mate on Page 11 there is nothing there, a picture of wrecked goods trains in melbourne and an article about HIV

Seasick said:
Regardless, the cows, chickens, turkeys or whatever, were already dead when he bought it. The miniscule number of people choosing to be vegans won't change the greater meat market practices.

Still pretty odd logic to pay a butcher (probably over the odds) for his meat. It just means you give that butcher time and funds to carry on his trade. If this is true it seems Morrissey is more concerned with it being out of his sight than anything else.

It would seem you have a different edition West Derby Tim. In the London edition Moz is at the foot of the page, with a postage-stamp sized photo below a story about the NHS.

Sounds to me that Jed or some other of Moz's men checked out the venue and thought Moz might be offended so he got rid of the meat PDQ to make sure the gig went ahead. I'd find it difficult to believe that Morrissey himself was wandering round the farmers' market and noted the meat.

Back
Top Bottom