Poll Morrissey should stop playing The Smiths' songs in concert

Morrissey should stop playing The Smiths' songs in concert

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Should he???

Sure. I think Morrissey should keep playing songs that he wrote with Marr as The Smiths, the same way Johnny has and will most likely continue to do.

#JohnnyDontMentionMozAgain

Personally I think Morrissey should stop playing Smiths cover songs. Whilst at one stage it was pleasantly nostalgic to hear them again, the fact is that once the nostalgia wears off, they just don't sound right with his session band playing them. He's got 1,001 solo songs, I'd much rather hear a set focused on what he's achieved as a solo artists, rather than keep going back to the Smiths well. It's time to leave this era in the past.

yeah, he should clear out the songs that we all fell in love with when we were younger so that leaves more room for bangers like Munich air disaster 1958 and people are the same everywhere

I dare say that many fans of Morrissey and visitors to Morrissey Solo would be more than happy for a Morrissey setlist to be comprised of purely his solo output, on the condition that the setlist wasn’t chosen by Morrissey. The man has a truly bountiful back catalogue of perfection, but he seems to insist on sprinkling his performances with a fair few numbers we could all largely do without. Still - I cannot wait for the next tour, whenever that will be.

Last edited:
johnny m
Personally I think Morrissey should stop playing Smiths cover songs. Whilst at one stage it was pleasantly nostalgic to hear them again, the fact is that once the nostalgia wears off, they just don't sound right with his session band playing them. He's got 1,001 solo songs, I'd much rather hear a set focused on what he's achieved as a solo artists, rather than keep going back to the Smiths well. It's time to leave this era in the past.
I'm surprising myself by agreeing with this point. Yes, I would be OK if he stopped playing Smiths songs not b/c I don't want to hear them but b/c they're usually disappointing versions. Morrissey's voice is on point, but musically it comes across as a cover band... and not a great one. I'd be happy to see a setlist that truly represented his solo body of work including songs from Kill Uncle.

johnny m

I'm surprising myself by agreeing with this point. Yes, I would be OK if he stopped playing Smiths songs not b/c I don't want to hear them but b/c they're usually disappointing versions. Morrissey's voice is on point, but musically it comes across as a cover band... and not a great one. I'd be happy to see a setlist that truly represented his solo body of work including songs from Kill Uncle.
Same, and it's not even that the songs are not performed as well as they might be but that there is so much great solo work that it would be nice to hear again.

Now that Alain's back in the band (presuming it wasn't just temporary), I'd much rather hear tracks from this era than a bunch of Smiths covers.

I've enjoyed Morrissey when he just played solo songs and when be played both Smiths and solo songs . I only went to see Johnny for the Smiths songs, but he butchers them and his solo stuff is horrid.🦨

I've enjoyed Morrissey when he just played solo songs and when be played both Smiths and solo songs . I only went to see Johnny for the Smiths songs, but he butchers them and his solo stuff is horrid.🦨

The man who wrote the music to The Smiths songs butchers them, jeez are you Vegan Cro or Sam in disguise?

Back
Top Bottom