Morrissey / Smiths vinyl reissues query

H

Hatedforloving

The Smiths & Morrissey are an iconic band/artist with a huge fanbase, many now moving back into vinyl and looking to enhance their vinyl collection. As the music industry shifts again to support this trend many artists such as New Order are going through an extensive and brilliant remastering project of all their albums and 12" singles which to date sound fantasic in the vinyl format. My Blooody Valentine agreed a re=issue deal with Domino a couple of weeks ago and already their Vinyl re-issue is sold out across all their albums which indicates the huge demand in this market.
Which begs the question, The Smiths/Morrissey catalogue is surely screaming out for this- the fans benefit from getting their hands on relatively hard to come by releases and Morrissey/Marr (and others) have a windfall....Whilst i'm lucky enough to have a smattering of their releases I'd love to own whole 12" collection given the quality of the music and in the most part amazing artwork (Swords excepted!!)
My question is - do people think its down to Record Label lazieness or the complications that exist between Morrissey and Marr.
Whatever your opinion on them now they have an amazing legacy which to date is nowhere near being fulfilled in the Vinyl Market.

The Smiths & Morrissey are an iconic band/artist with a huge fanbase, many now moving back into vinyl and looking to enhance their vinyl collection. As the music industry shifts again to support this trend many artists such as New Order are going through an extensive and brilliant remastering project of all their albums and 12" singles which to date sound fantasic in the vinyl format. My Blooody Valentine agreed a re=issue deal with Domino a couple of weeks ago and already their Vinyl re-issue is sold out across all their albums which indicates the huge demand in this market.
Which begs the question, The Smiths/Morrissey catalogue is surely screaming out for this- the fans benefit from getting their hands on relatively hard to come by releases and Morrissey/Marr (and others) have a windfall....Whilst i'm lucky enough to have a smattering of their releases I'd love to own whole 12" collection given the quality of the music and in the most part amazing artwork (Swords excepted!!)
My question is - do people think its down to Record Label lazieness or the complications that exist between Morrissey and Marr.
Whatever your opinion on them now they have an amazing legacy which to date is nowhere near being fulfilled in the Vinyl Market.
At first I thought your name was hardforloving

The entire Smiths catalogue was remastered by Marr and reissued back in 2011. A quick look on Amazon shows these are all still readily available. They did start reissuing the 7" singles (with Morrissey's involvement providing cover artwork), but the project stalled after the first box set, so either no one bought them, or Morrissey started being 'difficult'. My money is on the latter - apparently the 'Queen is Dead' anniversary release took a huge effort to get authorized and issued, and there's been nothing like it since.

The band's legacy as a whole is ripe for easy money for all concerned, but you can't even buy things as simple as official band T-shirts, which you'd think would be a no brainier, and the equivalent of printing money for no effort. My hunch is that the whole court case/legal stuff has just soured Morrissey against doing much of anything regarding exploiting or celebrating the band's legacy. Especially if it means Mike Joyce earns any money out of it.

Some of Morrissey's solo work definitely needs a reissue, but every Smiths LP is readily available and I don't see why it would need yet another remaster

Since Warner’s acquired the back cat, issuesreissues have taken place in
92 - Best 1&2 + Charming Man: HSIN?/There is a Light (all on 7)
93 - the 7 x 10” LPs
95 - Hooligan 12” / Ask 7
08 - singles box set + individual single releases
09 - all 8 LPs
2011 - Vinyl Box Set
2012 - all 8 LPs
2017 - TWID box set

in addition to the original releases from 83-88

not sure how your point stands up.

Morrissey has for the time being ruined the Smiths' cool plus there just isn't anything new to include to make reissues tempting. PLUS the Smiths music being recorded in the 1980s will never be suited to the whole audiophile remastering box set experience.

Morrissey has for the time being ruined the Smiths' cool plus there just isn't anything new to include to make reissues tempting. PLUS the Smiths music being recorded in the 1980s will never be suited to the whole audiophile remastering box set experience.
The Smiths have literally never been more popular

Would it be difficult for the original labels to put original issues of the Moz solo albums, in their original sleeves and tracklistings, back into print? Even Beethoven Was Deaf. The Morrissey solo album discography is in an insultingly bad state on vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom