Morrissey: The night this charming man came to Wales - walesonline.co.uk

MORRIZSEY

Wrong species
Morrissey’s autobiography lifts the lid on the Smiths days... but omits the infamous Newport gig when he ended up in casualty - walesonline.co.uk

Excerpt:

It’s a night that’s gone down in indie-rock legend, the outspoken vocalist being yanked offstage by over-zealous fans, only to land on his head and spend the rest of the night being treated for concussion at the A&E department of the nearby Royal Gwent Hospital.

The incident happened around 30 minutes into the Manchester band’s fifth date on their The Queen Is Dead tour – and the concert further cemented its status in rock and roll’s annals of infamy when the remainder of the show was called off, resulting in the audience attempting to trash the venue, the police being called and several arrests being made.

“It was my second ever gig and I was really excited about going,” said photographic editor Rob Norman, at the time a 15-year-old rabid Smiths fan from Caldicot.

“But half way through singing The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Morrissey bent over to shake hands with some people in the crowd and the bloke to my right grabbed him and pulled him off his feet.

“He went right over my head and hit the deck like a sack of spuds – then, before we knew what was going on, these bouncers appeared from wings and dived in feet first to rescue him.

Full article

Back
Top Bottom