Poll Morrissey the person is a dick, Morrissey the songwriter is great

Morrissey the person is a dick, Morrissey the songwriter is great

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, because she was friendly with Johnny, not with Morrissey. You know nothing about Denise so why try and speculate?

Speculate about what?

You said - Denise Johnson felt that the unaccompanied melody was musically beautiful and song enough for her to perform it unaccompanied.

What makes you think that?

Because don’t you think she would not have done it at all unaccompanied if she felt that the melody by itself was not musically beautiful enough and song enough to sing it?

I mean I think anyone would assume that was true by listening to that video.

I mean I think anyone would assume that was true by listening to that video.
I wouldn't assume that because I think it's bad. I have no axe to grind with Ms Johnsons as she has barely featured on my musical radar ever, but if I were going to sing a Smiths song a cappella it wouldn't be that one.

I wouldn't assume that because I think it's bad. I have no axe to grind with Ms Johnsons as she has barely featured on my musical radar ever, but if I were going to sing a Smiths song a cappella it wouldn't be that one.

:lbf:

Ok that’s fine.

But my post wasn’t aimed at you though.

I don't need a lesson in music theory, thanks, I'm pretty well educated on that score. A song still exists without chords or instrumental backing. In its simplest form it is words and melody.

His musical skill is quite underrated. He has an ear for melody that is quite unique - his tunes frequently don't go where you expect them to and some have really odd quirks. When you hear Alain Whyte's Not Bittter But Bored (which became IBEH) it makes you realise how clever he is with melody. Not only are Moz's lyrics better, but the melody is far superior (sorry, Alain).

Interesting, never heard this one before, but your comment is spot on. My view is that Morrissey, not being a musical composer himself, often does not respect the structure of the song that the composer had in mind and feels less bound by the conventions, which actually adds a fresh perspective or more creative twist to a song. Morrissey also has a strong sense for the impact of a song, whereas some composers may lose themselves in sonic details. So I see absolutely no shame in the fact that Morrissey is musically illiterate.

20200808_013657.jpg

If someone who wrote lyrics couldn't be described as a songwriter, it would be weird.

The mental gymnastics in this thread..💀 Moz definitely writes his music, again not amazing as he used to be but Moz does give me the impression he knows how to hold a pen..

Still an racist dick tho 😊

The mental gymnastics in this thread..💀 Moz definitely writes his music, again not amazing as he used to be but Moz does give me the impression he knows how to hold a pen..

Still an racist dick tho 😊

No, he's not! He's a little temperamental & slightly politically confused.

I think they're getting the definition of songwriter confused with 1970s singer-songwriters.

[
No, he's not! He's a little temperamental & slightly politically confused.

Sweetie, would you calmly simmer down..
You’re making me regret being on your side for once.

[

Sweetie, would you calmly simmer down..
You’re making me regret being on your side for once.

It's a joke! He's extremely temperamental & very politically confused. 🙃

But I love him. ❤

I am well aware of the procedure he follows. You try it with a piece of instrumental Moz/Smiths music. It's harder than you think. And I guarantee what you come up with will be nothing like what Morrissey wrote.
It's mostly about the vocal skill and vocal traits Morrissey has, not a melody making. In most of the smiths songs melodies are already there in the Johnny's or Andy's lines. Moz definitely added his mood on in but in the sense of melody his vocal line is very monotonous and almost nothing.

My leftie badges, Morrissey tote combo are winning over the shocked Old Timers. Was just chatting to a Moz fan who first saw him in 1984.

His favourite Smiths tour was The Queen Is Dead.

1650e213b191fe031d13232c848decac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't write a song, then you're clearly not a songwriter. End of.

You need to take this up with dictionaries & everyone who works in the music industry because they disagree.

If you can't write a song, then you're clearly not a songwriter. End of.

You are wrong.

If Morrissey was to write lyrics and Boz wrote the music then both would be credited as SONGWRITERS for that track, right?

Back
Top Bottom